The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If anyone in USA is looking for A7R II in stock...

TEAM KEN

Saw one yesterday at Lakeside Camera in Metairie, LA.
My Visa told me 'don't even try' :(
It was still there Sat. afternoon !!
Just FYI

THEY had a 85 Batis too!!

kevin2i

I have one in stock! :D

I didn't realize LR 6 and (and Sony Capture Pro/Capture One) require OSX 10.8 or higher. I'm not ready to buy a newer Mac Pro - so I just listed my open box A7rII body in the buy/sell forum.

Let you guys have a chance before I return it to B&H

Kevin.

Eoin

I have one in stock! :D

I didn't realize LR 6 and (and Sony Capture Pro/Capture One) require OSX 10.8 or higher. I'm not ready to buy a newer Mac Pro - so I just listed my open box A7rII body in the buy/sell forum.

Let you guys have a chance before I return it to B&H

Kevin.

Unless it's pre 2008 it should be upgradable ...

Eoin

Mac Pro 2,1 Apple says no.:scry:
Yes officially the pre 2008 Mac Pro only had 32bit EFi and it stopped them progressing beyond 10.7.

There is a thread where a bunch of users have updated the EFI and successfully installed 10.10.5 (current Yosemite) in these machines.
I wouldn't get caught up in the 145 pages of initial discussions, but basically they have improved the process and seem to have better success now and also with another method of creating the boot partition on another compatible Mac and transferring it to the old Mac Pro.
The link is http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-yosemite.1740775/

I'm not endorsing this method and to be honest, if I had only one production machine I wouldn't even consider this until the 2.1 Mac pro was relegated to a backup role.

Personally, I'm running an early 2009 Mac Pro and still very happy with it for my needs, I have current Mac Pros in work (non photography) and they are seriously powerful but the current model line from apple is well overdue an update.
Add a good thunderbolt disk enclosure, which is a must given the constrained internal Mac Pro storage and the overall setup price of a current Mac Pro & storage becomes .... well, outrageous. I can fully understand your reluctance towards a new Mac Pro.

kevin2i

>OFF TOPIC<
Yes officially the pre 2008 Mac Pro only had 32bit EFi and it stopped them progressing beyond 10.7.
. . .
Was not aware of the Piker-alpha boot loader - looks easier than the original modification. 10.7 has been great until now. (Don't need IOS stuff on my MP!). I noticed some great deals on Mac Pros on 'the big auction site' - I might upgrade to a newer 8 or 12 core box. Some of the older quads are so cheap - I will eventually grab some to replace win machines in my retail store as needed. My 2006 8-core with SSD's is still adequate with speed (9500 geek bench, faster than a new 6,1 quad) and has run flawlessly for the past 9 years (with only a non OEM disk failure). During the same time, a dozen win boxes have been replaced/repaired. a used Mac Pro is the best 'bang for buck' deal on the market.

>SONY TOPIC<

I will still ship out my a7rII if someone wants it by this Saturday! Very impressive camera.