The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R II Newbie problem....help

apsheng

Just received it this afternoon. Made some test shots in RAW. But LR 5.7.1 says no preview available and could not import. Help...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just received it this afternoon. Made some test shots in RAW. But LR 5.7.1 says no preview available and could not import. Help...
New cameras have new RAW formats that require the latest versions of software. Update your copy of Lightroom or go to the Capture One site and download the Sony version of their software.

This happens with pretty much all new cameras except for those that shoot DNG as their file format, or those which are JPEG only...

apsheng

New cameras have new RAW formats that require the latest versions of software. Update your copy of Lightroom or go to the Capture One site and download the Sony version of their software.

This happens with pretty much all new cameras except for those that shoot DNG as their file format, or those which are JPEG only...
Thanks. Didn't realize there is a LR 6. I thought my LR 5 was all up to date.

You may also download the current version of Adobe DNG converter, it is free and supports the Sony A7RM2, and then use your copy of LR5 if you do not whish to update to LR6. I suggest you to convert a copy of the raw files if you intend to use them also with other SW which do not play well with converted DNG files (Capture One is one of them).

apsheng

Thanks for the suggestions, I just paid and upgraded to LR 6, it installed ok but won't run. Seems like there is compatibility issue with Windows 7 according to internet search. Installed several times with no issue but will not start. Anyone had the same problem?

Perhaps will try the DNG converter Ario suggested...

Annna T

Thanks for the suggestions, I just paid and upgraded to LR 6, it installed ok but won't run. Seems like there is compatibility issue with Windows 7 according to internet search. Installed several times with no issue but will not start. Anyone had the same problem?

Perhaps will try the DNG converter Ario suggested...
I have Window 7 installed and no problem with LR6. But my both machines are 64bits. Check whether your machine has the minimal hardware configuration required :

Windows
Intel® or AMD processor with 64-bit support*
Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space
DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version.
OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†

(Copied rom Adobe's website)

Also check this page at Adobe's forums : Comments on ?New Adobe Lightroom 6 (CC) Direct Download Links ? Free Trials?, Page 1

apsheng

Turns out to be a LR CC thing. I didn't think I had LR CC since I never had CC and really wanted to avoid that. It appears they gave me free CC when I upgraded to LR6 without telling me (perhaps I missed it). Anyway I installed the CC app manager and ran LR CC update. After that all is fine. Now I need to find out if the "free" CC will ever expire and I will have to start paying.

Annna T

Turns out to be a LR CC thing. I didn't think I had LR CC since I never had CC and really wanted to avoid that. It appears they gave me free CC when I upgraded to LR6 without telling me (perhaps I missed it). Anyway I installed the CC app manager and ran LR CC update. After that all is fine. Now I need to find out if the "free" CC will ever expire and I will have to start paying.
I got LR as a standalone, but when I installed it it created something in the Adobe cloud. It is free fir a limited time (1 or 3 months, I don't remember). I never used it and after a while I got a warning, saying I should pay a fee or the feature would become inaccessible. I was bothered because that warning appeared in big letters at the top left of the UI. But after a while I found out that the "access to the cloud" button can be deactivated in the preferences (don't ask me where it is exactly, I don't remember).

Glad you were able to solve your problem.