The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any reason to keep old canon body?

sbay

My A7R II has shipped and I'm due to receive it and a metabones IV (BT4) on Friday. This is replacing my old canon 5d2 body which I bought in 2009. Amazing that I saw no reason to upgrade in 6 years!

I'd like to sell the 5d2 but I am wondering if there any reason I might need to keep it around? In particularly, I'm wondering if I might ever need a canon body to reset any lenses that got into an non-function state due to an incompatibility with the MB adapter?

Thanks

Annna T

My A7R II has shipped and I'm due to receive it and a metabones IV (BT4) on Friday. This is replacing my old canon 5d2 body which I bought in 2009. Amazing that I saw no reason to upgrade in 6 years!

I'd like to sell the 5d2 but I am wondering if there any reason I might need to keep it around? In particularly, I'm wondering if I might ever need a canon body to reset any lenses that got into an non-function state due to an incompatibility with the MB adapter?

Thanks
I'd say wait a little before selling it, until you can see how your lenses behave on the adapter and whether the A7r2 ticks all the boxes for you.

Personally, I had a 5d which I updated in 2013 with a 6d just before the A7r was issued (had I known I would have kept the 5D). I got an A7r in April 2014 and since then almost never used the Canon. But I rarely need fast AF for what I'm shooting. If I was going to buy an A7r2, I would get rid of the 6d and of most lenses, except a few (TSEs and the 70-200mm F4 which is sharper than the Sony FE equivalent).

But keep the 5d2 for a while, just to be sure that you are OK with the A7r2 and the adapter. Not all lenses work with it.

You will be amazed by the DR of the Sony compared to the Canon and by the malleability of the files.

NoBob

Try other adapters as well. I rented the Metabones IV and got the black screen/camera shut down when using the Sigma 50mm. Using the Fotodiox, it works fine.

sbay

Thanks for the comments.

I'm trying to minimize my camera gear as I've got way too much stuff and I'm doing a lot of traveling and don't want to bring it all anyway.

I'll definitely keep my 5d2 for a little bit as I test and figure out my a7r2. Right now my plan is to go with native except for my TSE (24/45) and my 70-300L. The 5d2 does not have great AF so I'm hoping/expecting the A7rII will be at least as good.

gDallasK

Thanks for the comments.

I'm trying to minimize my camera gear as I've got way too much stuff and I'm doing a lot of traveling and don't want to bring it all anyway.

I'll definitely keep my 5d2 for a little bit as I test and figure out my a7r2. Right now my plan is to go with native except for my TSE (24/45) and my 70-300L. The 5d2 does not have great AF so I'm hoping/expecting the A7rII will be at least as good.
I may be a bit ahead of you here. I bought a Metabones IV with my A7R2. I tried out all my Canon L glass - and was pleased that only the 135L and the 200 f4L wouldn't focus. So they went on eBay. But I realised quite quickly that most of my other L lenses were equalled or bettered by Sony / Zeiss equivalents. So the 35L, 50L and the 24-105 were next to go. Along with the 5D2. So now I have only the 70-300 DO (which I'm keeping for the reach although it's not especially sharp). And the 85 1.2L which I'll keep until I can compare it with the 85 Batis I have ordered.

After nearly twenty years of owning Canon equipment I can foresee not owning any Canon gear quite soon .........