The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7RII/ Batis 25mm , Batis 85mm and Sony 35mm 1.4 System Tests

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Went back out and ran the 35 again. No change it still has the asymmetry issue. And the Batis 85 corners starts to get it going at 2.8 and F4 is really nice. So pretty much what we original came up with. Lot of processing and if was better or worse I would do it but seems the same.

...I may try that IBIS test with a longer lens. I would certainly think longer would be worse case.
This got me curious, so I ran a quick test in my office with my Tamron 150-600mm. Initial inspection seems to show a very, very slight sharpness advantage with IBIS turned OFF when on a tripod. (UPDATE - see my later post, but I think this was just a fluke here - in the more controlled tests I found no difference between ON and OFF.)

I'll run the test more carefully today and see if I can confirm that result.

These are 100% center crops, A7Rii - 460mm 0.8 second @ ƒ16

First - IBIS ON
OSS ON-4 150-600mm F5-6.3 SSM @ ƒ16.0.jpg

Now - IBIS OFF
OSS OFF-4 150-600mm F5-6.3 SSM @ ƒ16.0.jpg

Here's the whole frame.

Full scene.jpg

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Mike for your report. I guess at some certain focal length lens we will see the slight difference . I'll try with my 200 in the next days and see if it shows there but the Batis 85 as we seen it did not. Not sure how IBIS senses this but must be with the longer lenses it feels movement of some type. Not sure guessing a little here. Very interesting though, be nice to know where that cut off is.

IBIS ON or OFF - follow up

Ran a more controlled test series this morning with the 150-600mm, at various focal lengths, shutter speeds and apertures, with IBIS both ON and OFF.

My conclusion - there is zero difference, when shooting from a steady tripod, whether IBIS is ON or OFF. Literally, in all shots, I could see no difference.

Here's the ON and OFF shots, 100% crops - see if you can see any difference. (these are at 500mm, ƒ8 @ 1/100)

Second.jpg

First.jpg

And the full frame -

IBIS OFF - 500mm-2.jpg

In your last series, do the left and right edges (with the foliage) look the same with IBIS "on" or "off"?
Same story on the edges. (I didn't originally post the edge images because the Tamron's edges aren't that great above 400mm, and I didn't want to cloud the issue.)

But here is the edge from that same shot. I won't label which is which, so you can try to tell.

IBIS OFF - 500mm-3.jpg

IBIS ON - 500mm-3.jpg

jco611

Anyone going with the 90 Macro instead of 85 Batis?

Thinking of a 25 Batis, 35 1.4, 55 1.8, and 90 Macro kit....

Guy Mancuso

Keep tests going. If you have one you did. Consider this a home

Mike great work

I'm on a gig . Camera working perfectly

I did.

I thought I needed the speed of the Batis, but out of curiosity I did an analysis of the images in my library that were taken with fast 85-100mm lenses (I've had several). To my surprise, hardly any of them were shot wide open. In fact, the bulk were at ƒ4-5.6. So, while I love fast portrait glass, in reality I seldom utilize the speed.

That realization, combined with the flexibility of a macro, pushed me to go with the 90mm. It is spectacular, btw.

Guy Mancuso

As of today my lens kit is the VC 15mm III, Batis 25, Sony 35 1.4, Batis 85 and the Minolta 200 HS 200 2.8. After a lot of playing around with this since the release of the A7r this is what I have come down too and I'm extremely happy about it.

I still need a cheap 24-70

And like to get my Loxia 50 or the 55 back in the kit. I'm basically done though. Just wanna go shoot. Next week I'm on vacation and taking it all with me. But after testing all these lenses I'm really one happy camper.

I did shoot the 85 with extension tubes yesterday and will post that today for those with the 85 and a little need for full time macro it maybe a great 80 dollar option.

Guy Mancuso

I think waiting for the Batis 85 may take some time and the 90 you can get today is maybe buy the 90 until your 85 comes in and you get some time with the 90 to see if it stays or goes when the 85 is ready for you. Heck even if you want to sell the 90 at that time even used you could get 850 at the least so the loss is very minimum if it got down to that. Think of it as renting

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

What about the 28-70 kit lens? Very cheap and not much worse than the 24-70 (which says more about the 24-70, but never mind).

M

Guy Mancuso

Been thinking about it for sure. You know I only need it for when people get on stage to get awards at events because I can't move myself. So it's always going to be like f6.3 anyway. I just do a lot of these corporate award dinners and it's really the only time I need it. The 25 and 35 can do the grip and grins with flash or even get the cheap 28 F2 for that.

See it's not always fun being a Pro that bread and butter work is about as boring as watching paint dry. Lol

Guy Mancuso

Thought I would add these as real world samples of the 35 and 25

35mm

25mm

Great IQ from both lenses. Top of the class

Guy Mancuso

Hey no noise either. LOL

I injected them with lossy compressed raws. ROTFLMAO

Just for the record there are 4 lights going on. Including one Nissin Di700a. Im loving this portable flash I want 2 more. Main lights are Dynalites with a 1600 watt pack and 3 heads

Guy Mancuso

Just saw this not that I am the biggest DXO fan but still

DXO The A7rII the new king of the hill. Big marks on high ISO. No question about it for me but it is several points higher on the A7r which is all that matters to me, so outside the functions and features it is a improvement on the IQ from the A7r, which it should be. Don't care about the Nikon not on my radar

seb

Thinking of a 25 Batis, 35 1.4, 55 1.8, and 90 Macro kit....
I did the 90/2.8 and 28/2 instead of the two batis.
But I hardly shoot under 35 and then the 16-35/4 is a good choice. So the Batis 25/2 would be only a lens for rare moments and for that the 28/2 is enough.
On 85 I hardly shoot faster than f3.2 and I wanted a native macro lens for the FE system anyway. Because the 90 is sharpness and performance with nice colors and bokeh, it was an easy choice.
But this thread helps not to still my desire to own these lenses anyway. :)

Guy Mancuso

Dan you have to give it time. Honestly sometimes it may take a couple months. This has a lot going on but you will figure out how to simplify it too. Evf takes some adjustment as well. I'm really used to it now. I think it's a OVF sometimes. LOL

Seriously just give it some time it will come around.

If I can help it I never want to go back to a DSLR. Mirrors suck