The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus magnification with the LAEA4

Rawfa

Guys,

I've set my A7S with "AF w/shutter - OFF", "AF/MF Button - AF ON", "C2 to Focus Magnifier" but when I set the AF to DMF mode even though I'm allowed to use the focus magnification I cannot manually focus with the lens. Am I doing something wrong here? I'm testing with a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro and a Sigma 28mm 1.8 high speed. I don't know if this could be lens related...

Last edited:

dandrewk

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but:

In order to manually focus in DMF mode, the camera has to already focus locked. So, set your focus and keep your finger on the button (either the shutter release and/or custom button) and then turn the focus ring.

Rawfa

That's no correct. I was doing some tests with some people who also own the LAEA4 and to my surprise this feature is lens related. For instance in DMF mode were were able to use the magnify feature and manual focus the lens, while with different older "screw lenses" manual focus would not work.

Slingers

I just did a test with the SAL50M28(screw driven) and the SAL2875(Non screw driven) with the LAEA4 and DMF. Both allow me to manually focus after the half press has acquired focus. But, even though I have MF Assist on in the menu it never zooms into the focus area like a native lens.

Slingers

To clarify a little more. I have done further tests and are seeing strange behaviour with the focus modes, MF and DMF, sometimes showing and sometimes not. The SAL2875 with the AF switch on only had AF-C and AF-S available but allows focus adjustment after focus lock. You cannot magnify the EVF with a custom button or with the mf button at the back pressed and the custom button pressed in one of these modes. Switching to MF on the lens enabled the magnification to work from the custom button but still no focus assist. The SAL50M28 had all the focus modes but the same behaviour with no magnification unless in MF mode.