The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A case of bad posterisation

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I found this case of bad posterisation:

But, using another profile I got this:

Interestingly, Capture One 8.1 also causes banding, although used with their own profile for the the P45+ back

An profile I generated with a very old version of Anders Torger's DCamProf had none or very little issues:

The raw file is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDLook/20150407-CF046278.iiq

In this case, Adobe Standard Profile in Lightroom produced the best results. Capture One also produced banding artefacts. DCP profiles generated with Color Checker Passport software and Adobe DNG Profile Editor caused banding, but Adobe Standard Profile did not and nor did profiles generated by Anders Torger's DCamProf.

Just to say, the raw file is a 16-bit raw from a P45+ back.

Why I posted this on a Sony thread? Just to demonstrate that colour management can cause bad artefacts even on "real" 16 bit files.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Re: A case of bad posterisation (what is causing it?)

Hi,

I looked at the TIFF files in Prophoto RGB using Chromix's Colour Think. What I can see, both my own DNG Profile (that has caused banding) and Adobe Standard DNG (which did not) pushes the colours a bit outside Adobe RGB. But, my DNG profile pushes it quite a bit more!

So the banding may arise when mapping the colours from the wide Prophoto RGB into the smaller Adobe RGB. This would be very similar to Iliah Borg's comment that colour management contributes most to the artefacts reported by Lloyd Chambers.

Would there be some interest I can post more details.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,

Interestingly, Capture One 8.1 also causes banding, although used with their own profile for the the P45+ back

An profile I generated with a very old version of Anders Torger's DCamProf had none or very little issues:

The raw file is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDLook/20150407-CF046278.iiq

In this case, Adobe Standard Profile in Lightroom produced the best results. Capture One also produced banding artefacts. DCP profiles generated with Color Checker Passport software and Adobe DNG Profile Editor caused banding, but Adobe Standard Profile did not and nor did profiles generated by Anders Torger's DCamProf.

Why I posted this on a Sony thread? Just to demonstrate that colour management can cause bad artefacts even on "real" 16 bit files.

Best regards
Erik

timparkin

Hi,

Best regards
Erik

Yes - I see this sort of thing quite often and it is very annoying. In my case it was the Sony files in Lightroom that showed horrible banding.

Here's an example.. Do you think this is worth posting to reinforce that not all posterisation is the camera or colour space?

Tim

p.s. quite amazed at large scale structural difference - lightroom almost has a broad scale clarity in it's raw converter!