The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First visual example of RAW compression that illustrates the problem, A7R2

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They did say awhile back they are working on it. My guess Sony being in the video business so long there raw scheme they have was more designed for video. Obviously you put out a high quality still cam they need to adjust there thinking.

Jim DE

B&H had a video with a video guy, a still photog, a Sony rep and a person from B&H. The lossless compression RAW topic came up and though the Sony Rep would only say that they are looking at this I think the still Photog stated he would gladly do a firmware upgrade to get it... like it had been discussed off camera before between them.

I understand the Sony Rep being unable to make a on camera comment about this but the feeling I got is it could be a reality at some point when the verbal slip was made. As I said I will take anything that makes my images have more data to work with so bring it on Sony but I can't comment on if it will make a difference in my images not as personally I have not seen the artifacts in any of my images. Hard to miss or want what you have never had or seen a need for .... I just have to take others who have used lossless compression files word for it that it will be better. We will see one way or the other in the future.....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bottom line it certainly won't hurt us having it. I would still like options on which to chose. If this has something to do with processing power and diminished speed performance than certainly give the end user those options

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Just to say, DPReview does publish raw images and does follow a test protocol. What is wrong with that?!

Now, back to the compression artefacts. That is coming from the delta compression and not from the tone curve. Fortunately, Sony can very probably remove that with a firmware update. But, that Delta compression is not what Diglloyd is whining about. He is complaining about the tonal curve used to put a 13 bits worth of data into 11-bits of code, which is quite reasonable. Highly probable that part is implemented before the ASICs that process the signal. Removing that may need a new BIONZ processor.

If you are concerned about the raw conversion, why don't you buy a Canon 5Ds or a Nikon D810 and be happy for ever?

Best regards
Erik

Sony Alpha 7R II: Real-world ISO invariance study: Digital Photography Review

I am normally not a big fan of DPR but here is a real world example of RAW compression artifacts on the A7R2.

V

Vivek

Re: 'Sony cameras feel like camera imitations, not the real thing'

So some self-appointed high priests of photo punditry will try to convince readers that, above all else, they need real cameras from, you know, real camera companies. The same ones that grew hopelessly complacent over the decades, and have hoodwinked users by offering the same tired bodies year after year, but with minor refinements and a different number on the front panel.
Uncompressed poetry. :) :thumbup: