The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who would be interested to see a sony or zeiss e mount tilt shift lens

mbroomfield

I would love to have a native T/S, the wider the better, but I guess something between 20 to 24 is realistic. Tilt is very needed for digital age considering the distance scale really works on film only. In my experience, I often use two to three stop less than what the distance scale would show to get satisfactory near-far sharpness. Tilt would help a lot, I think.

chkproductions

Yes please. And hurry. The Sony 7 is maturing all the time and is being used more and more for professional work. The question is would it be a 24, 17 or maybe an in-between at 21?

Cheers
chk

chrisd

Indeed, 21mm make a choice and differentiate from very decent CaNikon choices.

If it makes any difference, I would be interested really in a shift only lens, mainly to correct perspective distortion (and for the odd stitched panorama). Never really used the tilt feature on my 17mm and rarely on my 24mm. When I did use tilt, it was in an attempt to adjust the focal plane to bring foreground and background into focus while keeping the aperture in the sweet spot of f8 to f11. That use of tilt is very difficult at wide angle and ultra wide angle, much more effective at 45m and longer. Never used tilt for the gimmick effect to de-focus part of an image. Just saying - Sony or Sony 3rd party - please bring us a wide angle shift lens, and I'll pre-order mine now.

chrisd

I have just ordered the Samyung 24mm T-S in E-mount. Not expecting too much, but I might be surprised.
Please let us know how it turns out. According to Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com (LensRentals.com - 404

"OK, let’s start by saying the stuff above is taken from manufacturer’s marketing materials. The section on Optics is true – but only when you’ve stopped down to f/8 or so. Wide open, the lens is adequate but certainly not anything like the sharpness of the Canon 24 TS-E II lens. Stopped down, though, the aberrations go away and it’s really quite good.
Soooo, if you’re shooting landscapes or architectural photos stopped down, this lens is a very nice alternative. You can rotate the tilt and shift planes independently and it focuses smoothly. If you’re shooting wide open at f/3.5, though, you probably will want to pay the extra money for the Canon. The difference is noticeable.
May, 2013
".

If this is the case, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

Annna T

I have just ordered the Samyung 24mm T-S in E-mount. Not expecting too much, but I might be surprised.
Really ? I thought the Sony mount Samyang issued was in fact an A-mount, not an E. Recently Sonyalpharumors linked to the shop of a dealer claiming it was E-mount, but a few days after it turned out the dealer had goofed and it was in A-mount.

Quentin_Bargate

scho

Here is the listing

https://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=34386

One can but hope its right! They do have a separate page for A- Mount lenses.
Hi Quentin,

The picture looks exactly like my Samyang 24 TS in Nikon mount. I use mine on the A7R and II with a Novoflex adapter and I have no complaints. Optical quality stopped down (f/8 or f/11 for landscapes) is comparable to the Canon24 TSE, but build quality is a not as good as the Canon. An example shot from last fall. I hope you enjoy this lens and will look forward to seeing some of your work.

Here is a more recent image taken with the Samyang 24 TS on the A7RII (2 shot stitch):

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin,

The picture looks exactly like my Samyang 24 TS in Nikon mount. I use mine on the A7R and II with a Novoflex adapter and I have no complaints. Optical quality stopped down (f/8 or f/11 for landscapes) is comparable to the Canon24 TSE, but build quality is a not as good as the Canon. An example shot from last fall. I hope you enjoy this lens and will look forward to seeing some of your work.
Its been despatched already, so if its actually an "A" mount lens, that a pretty major mistake, but I could,use it with an adapter - but would expect a discount :thumbup:

Annna T

Its been despatched already, so if its actually an "A" mount lens, that a pretty major mistake, but I could,use it with an adapter - but would expect a discount :thumbup:
I had a little more time and undertook oa search on eBay. It shows that this lens exists in E-Mount now. Indeed a dealer is indicating that the lens may be available in most of the current mounts, even for MFT bodies..

Should be available in ten different mounts if you believe this dealer :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMYANG-24m...ony-E-Mount-/151715713012?hash=item2352f60ff4

Rumors are ageing fast and what was wrong a couple months ago may be correct now. I hope you will be happy with your purchase.

scho

I had a little more time and undertook oa search on eBay. It shows that this lens exists in E-Mount now. Indeed a dealer is indicating that the lens may be available in most of the current mounts, even for MFT bodies..

Should be available in ten different mounts if you believe this dealer :
Samyang 24mm Tilt Shift 1 3 5 24mm Ed as UMC Lens Sony E Mount | eBay

Rumors are ageing fast and what was wrong a couple months ago may be correct now. I hope you will be happy with your purchase.
I hope it is a re-design for e mount and not just an e mount extension tube welded on to the original slr model. This what they did with the 14mm.

Quentin_Bargate

I've read rave reviews, and reviews like these.

Quality is likely variable from lens to lens. The design looks strikingly similar to my old Nikkor 24mm tilt shift. If its not up to my exacting standards, it will end up on Ebay. Will advise in due course....

Please let us know how it turns out. According to Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com (LensRentals.com - 404

"OK, let’s start by saying the stuff above is taken from manufacturer’s marketing materials. The section on Optics is true – but only when you’ve stopped down to f/8 or so. Wide open, the lens is adequate but certainly not anything like the sharpness of the Canon 24 TS-E II lens. Stopped down, though, the aberrations go away and it’s really quite good.
Soooo, if you’re shooting landscapes or architectural photos stopped down, this lens is a very nice alternative. You can rotate the tilt and shift planes independently and it focuses smoothly. If you’re shooting wide open at f/3.5, though, you probably will want to pay the extra money for the Canon. The difference is noticeable.
May, 2013
".

If this is the case, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

dmward

Here is an image I made by merging 4 vertical images that were shot handheld with Batis 25mm at F8.
The file is 8874x6103 pixels.

I'll try something similar with TSE tomorrow.

Here is a web version with processing:

And HERE is link to full sized jpg with processing

And HERE is link to full sized jpg with no processing

and finally And HERE is link to merged DNG file, which hopefully you can download from my server by clicking on link and saving to your computer.

My test download worked (iMAC). Its a 236.1 Meg file so it may take some time.

Schneider's newer Tilt/Shifts are available in A-Mount, which I didn't think they were before. Maybe we can push them for E-Mount?

Quentin_Bargate

Of course, tilt and shift were everyday tools with a large format camera, such that they were an integral part of the body design. The "35mm" format was not originally intended for such uses. Now we have cameras like the A7RII that are of sufficient quality and resolution to justify such use, but the lenses and tools have not really caught up.

The theoretical resolution of 4x5 LF film may be very high, but film flatness issues, grain (above a certain resolution all you are scanning is film grain, not useful data), scanning limitations (drum scanners are tricky to use correctly - I used to own a Howtek D4500, and flatbeds suffer CCD flare etc) in practice reduce the effective resolution somewhat - and you cannot easily stitch separate LF shots to form one image as you can with digital capture. If one assumes that around 75mp in a digital sensor is needed fully to match LF film, a single shot from an A7RII is already more than half way there, and with stitching shifted images, it gets all the way there or more.

These are all reasons why a camera like the A7RII deserves native, high quality, but affordable tilt shift lenses.