The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who would be interested to see a sony or zeiss e mount tilt shift lens

karlfoto

Given the good iq and dr of the a7rii it is a good system for architectural photography. True, one can use the metabones and canon tse lenses which i have, but it does increase the size and fiddlyness of the system.

What about an e mount shift lens that has the shift mechanism behind a tripod collar mount that allows for the camera body to shift left and right and rotate to shift up and down. Any takers?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Me too. It's the missing set of lenses, not just for architecture with shift but also tilt for landscapes too.

I also use the Canon TSE lenses with the Metabones IV and they work well but I'd prefer a native solution with Zeiss glass if there was one.

Quentin_Bargate

An e mount shift lens would be very good, and I'd be very interested. but it will never be produced by Sony because its a small niche market.

Maybe a third party modded lens?

Viramati

I certainly would be though I usually content with the results from the lens correction tool in Lr6. Something in the 17-21mm range would be great

karlfoto

True those that use them are a small segment, but a valuable segment i would have thought. There must be plenty of architectural and interior shooters who would buy into the sony system if they had a rage of lenses like this.

I was always amazed how small they managed to make the olympus 24mm shift lens. A small lens like that, perhaps 21 or 24mm f4, even if it was only shift would be great for such a small body. Perhaps they could design a tilt only module that can be attached onto the shift lens something as small as the mirex adaptor. Mirex as far as i know already has a sony e mount created, although it is for canon lenses - https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2014/04/mirex-adapter-canon-eos-sony-e-mount/

Of course 'perhaps' pigs could fly to.

V

Vivek

There are many problems.

1. Minolta/Sony never ever made a T/S lens.

2. The current grip on the Sony cams is a big issue. We need flat bodies.

Annna T

Me ! Although I'm more interested in shift than tilt. For architecture I could be satisfied with a 21 or 24 just shifting.. No need for fancy features and specifications either : F4 without stabilization. Just MF would be OK too. Keep it small for on location shooting.

I'm worried by the bigger grip of the MKII bodies too.

Edit : I wrote my post before reading the full thread and fully agree with Karl's concerning shift only and other features.

onaujee

Agree with Joe, I have the 17mm TS-e myself but would prefer an E mount. Hopefully these lenses and some teles like 135 and 200 gets announced this year.

Best,

V

Vivek

I'm with Graham on this one. I'd love a native mount tilt/shift lens for landscape work. I've used the Canon 24mm TS-E with the Metabones III and a7R, but a native Zeiss solution would be soooooo much sweeter.

Joe
More bad news.

IIRC, Zeiss have not made a T/S lens.

mbroomfield

I use T/S lenses quite a bit but my needs are met by the Canon TSE 17, 24ii and 90 and the older 35mm FD T/S lens. I'm not sure why I'd trade them. Even if Zeiss came out with a much better lens I doubt I'd want to take the loss to get new.

Given their likely size they would have to come with integrated tripod mounts, rather like the way I use the TSE lenses now, with the tripod attached to the adapter.

4season

It would need to offer something compelling that I can't get by simply adapting a Canon, Leica or Nikon lens.

Hausen

Would love to have a native Zeiss/Sony version for two reasons. No requirement for an adaptor, which would alleviate the current MB VI issues with 7rII and most compelling if it were a Zeiss lens. Love Zeiss colours. Currently have 24,45 and 90mm Canons.

karlfoto

Apparently, Samyang already make a 24mm tilt-shift lens for e-mount. Have not heard much about this lens on any mount.

Samyang T-S 24mm F/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt / Shift Lens for Sony E-Mount
I saw this a few weeks ago and got hold of them and they mentioned that they had not done an e mount, so this ad is somewhat confusing.

I could easily live with the lens only allowing for shift if it allowed for a smaller package and no bells and whistle just good optics and click rotation to allow for rise and fall and left and right shift. The 24 zuiko is only 75mm and 510g vs the canon 24tse at 132mm and 940g with metabones adaptor. The zuiko was 84mm which is only 2mm wider than the 24tse, although it does have a large bulb like front element.

I also hear what some of the posters are saying about having to be hugely better than the current canon tse lenses which are good. I am very happy with my 17tse apart from the weight and bulk which looked and balanced ok on the 5d bodies, but does not look or visually balanced on the A7 bodies. I also dont ever use the tilt function, but that is just my style of photography.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another consideration for new buyers at least would also be the potential cost savings too vs the Canon lenses. To use your Canon TSE lenses you really need a good adapter like the Metabones IV and whilst not a deal breaker, it isn't cheap or free.