The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who would be interested to see a sony or zeiss e mount tilt shift lens

chkproductions

FYI - Here is a review on the Samyang when it was first introduced -

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/samyang24ts.html

From the author -

"The lens is of good, but not outstanding quality, but once again I'm used to using the much more expensive Canon version. Looking at some published performance numbers suggests that at a typical f/11 setting, you are going to see real world resolution on a par with Nikon PCE and Canon TS-E lenses.

With regards to the Samyang 24mm TS-E, isn't it better to keep it in a Canon/Nikon mount, add a Hcam Master/Mirex/Kipon shift adapter and then have independent rise/fall and shift left/right? Basically, back to view camera movements?

I have just ordered the Hcam Master and hopefully plan to do exactly that with the Canon 24mm TS-E lens.. The downside of that lens is that you need to "preset" the aperture..

With the Samyang 24mm TS-E, as I understand it, is fully manual so can be used wide open to focus and then stopped down to take the shot..

With regards to optical quality, if they were very close stopped down to a working aperture for landscape/architecture, then I would be interested in trying it..

Anybody have any information on what the image circle is compared to the Canon 24mm TS-E II?

Quentin_Bargate

Samyang 24mm tilt/shift has arrived, - and yes, it is in Sony e-mount. The mount is effectively a dumb adapter attachced to the lens, so it does not communicate any lens data to the camera so far as I can tell, but it fits well and operates as expected.

Lens seems well made.

I will post some samples of images taken over the next few days once I have spent some time with the lens.

But at least it is a basic e-mount lens.

Here's a cameraphone shot of the lens on the A7RII

Q

scho

Samyang 24mm tilt/shift has arrived, - and yes, it is in Sony e-mount. The mount is effectively a dumb adapter attachced to the lens, so it does not communicate any lens data to the camera so far as I can tell, but it fits well and operates as expected.

Lens seems well made.

I will post some samples of images taken over the next few days once I have spent some time with the lens.

But at least it is a basic e-mount lens.

Here's a cameraphone shot of the lens on the A7RII

Q
That is what I thought it would be, basically the SLR version with a permanently attached adapter tube. The advertisement images are a bit deceptive as they are not pictures of E the mount version, but rather one of the SLR mount versions. Functionally doesn't really matter and I expect it will perform well. I use mine (Nikon mount with Novoflex adapter) on a tripod at about 1.2 meters height and only need approximately 1 to 1.5 degrees downward tilt for landscapes so I just dial it in and leave it there.

I'd be happy if the rumored wide Loxia lens ended up being a perspective control wide. Something like a 28/2.8 or 4 roughly the same size as the old FD 35/2.8 TS would make it a must-buy for me. It would be a great alternative when I don't want to pack the Actus.

Quentin_Bargate

That is what I thought it would be, basically the SLR version with a permanently attached adapter tube. The advertisement images are a bit deceptive as they are not pictures of E the mount version, but rather one of the SLR mount versions. Functionally doesn't really matter and I expect it will perform well. I use mine (Nikon mount with Novoflex adapter) on a tripod at about 1.2 meters height and only need approximately 1 to 1.5 degrees downward tilt for landscapes so I just dial it in and leave it there.
Carl,

That's right, but that tube puts useful distance between the lens tlit/shift controls and the camera body, so unlike the very similar Nikon PC-E lens, its a lot easier to operate than the Nikon equivalent lens is on, say, a D810.

Initial test late evening are promising but its early days.

Quentin_Bargate

Early tests on the Samyang T-S F/3.5 confirm:

- Generally well made, not far short of the Nikkor F/3.5 PC/E. Easier to use as the knobs are a tad bigger and with the E-Mount, further from the camera.

- A lot of haloing at max aperture. Avoid if possible.

- Sharp stopped down to F/8 or F/11, it's sweet spot. Some loss of quality at edges when fully shifted, but better than on my copy of a Nikkor

- Close focusing and selective focus using tilt likely be good for product or food photography

- Outstanding value for money.

A few samples:

Max front shift

Tilt

Tilt used for selective focus

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Another example of the use of tilt with the Samyung T-S 24mm F/3.5 for selective focus. Shot @ F/5.6. Its sharp where it needs to be...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks good.
Would be hard to justify the Canon and Metabones adapter based on this.
I think that I'd be wanting to check out some full resolution files before coming to that conclusion. The 24 TS-E II on metabones IV is simply outstanding on the Sony, heck even on my Alpa FPS/IQ back.

From what I've read though, the RokiBowYang benefits from being stopped down so for pure landscape work where you want a wide focus wedge when tilting the quality may be fine.

The general nature of these lenses is that they tend to be optically simpler than the more corrected designs from Zeiss/Nikon/Canon etc and hence the extra CA and distortion (but on the flip side I use a Rockinon 14mm & 24mm for stars BECAUSE the design is less corrected and gives me less coma). I've been lucky so far but you need to watch for sample variation with these lenses as there is a fairly reasonable history of decentered lenses - not a problem so long as you are prepared to try a couple and get the best one.

You certainly can't complain about the price.

Quentin_Bargate

Well there is nothing like practical experience

From a trip to a village church in Suffolk earlier today, all with the Samyang T-S 24mm and Sony A7RII

Drop front:

Rising front (shift), two exposures, combined by hand the old fashioned way to enhance some detail in the stained glass.

Tilt

The biggest problem is precision. On a relatively small camera, its harder to align everything than on a ground glass of a LF film camera so errors can and do creep in. Accurate focussing is critical. But its a very good lens. All at F/11.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

A comparison shot between the Samyang and Nikkon tilt shift 24mm lenses. The Samyang is longer due to the built in E mount

Samyang: 16 elements, 11 groups (2x Aspheric elements) 82 mm filter thread

Nikon: 13 elements, 10 groups, 3x Aspheric and three ED glass, 77mm filter thread

The Samyang does have a distance scale for approximating DOF - I just got it the wrong way around...

dmward

I think that I'd be wanting to check out some full resolution files before coming to that conclusion. The 24 TS-E II on metabones IV is simply outstanding on the Sony, heck even on my Alpa FPS/IQ back.
Graham I have a 17, 24 and 90. The files are outstanding with a A7RII. Just a question of how close this lens can get in optical performance. At web size it would be hard to justify the Canon or Nikon.
an 80 inch print would be a different matter.

Quentin_Bargate

Below is a link to a full size image from the Samyang @ F/8, with shift applied.

This full size image shows the best and worst sides of the Samyang.

Its been decoded using ACR, with +8 distortion applied and "remove CA" ticked, shadows boosted and highlights pulled back a little, no sharpening applied in Photoshop (ACR defaults).

Resolution is very good, in my opinion, but there is flare visible top left and bottom right from a strong sun top left just out of shot. I have only seen this a couple of times and had I noticed it at the time, I could have prevented or mitigated it by shielding the sun. Samyang's weakness is clearly their lens coatings are not as good as some.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/September_2015/Samyang_Sample_Image1.jpg

scho

Below is a link to a full size image from the Samyang @ F/8, with shift applied.

This full size image shows the best and worst sides of the Samyang.

Its been decoded using ACR, with +8 distortion applied and "remove CA" ticked, shadows boosted and highlights pulled back a little, no sharpening applied in Photoshop (ACR defaults).

Resolution is very good, in my opinion, but there is flare visible top left and bottom right from a strong sun top left just out of shot. I have only seen this a couple of times and had I noticed it at the time, I could have prevented or mitigated it by shielding the sun. Samyang's weakness is clearly their lens coatings are not as good as some.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9806585/September_2015/Samyang_Sample_Image1.jpg
Hi Quentin,

Yes, flare can be quite difficult to deal with when using the Samyang on sunny days and I quite often need to shield the lens using my hands (sort of like dodging in the darkroom) or a wide brim hat. Other than that I have no serious complaints with this lens.