The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

P

panyawong

I try to emulate Jono's famous cock&hens head shot :), but I could not find any chicken near by. I did found some ducks while walking around a lake in Golden Gate park.
Here is a one leg stand Mallard trying to sleep but was disturbed by me.

Here is one just chilling in water.

Some other pictures:

_panya

jonoslack

Albert
Wow! that Group shot is quite something

Mike, the bleached shots work (not usually keen)

Shelby - love the first two of the yard shots (over here a yard is a small concrete place where you keep the coal bunker and your bicycle!).

Welcome Nitin - these are all lovely, especially the women at work.

Panya - I'm flattered, and your first duck shot is completely fab . . love the boats as well.

jonoslack

I managed to abandon everything and get out with the camera for an hour today . . . it duly clouded over, but there were a couple of moments of sunshine.

Here are some black and white shots with the A900:

Emma waiting patiently:

jonoslack

Jono you sure live in beautiful place..#4 my favorite.
Hi Mike
Actually, it's really flat and drab, it's just that I'm a fantastic photographer :ROTFL:

To be fair, when we moved here from Cornwall . . . erm . . 26 years go, I thought I'd never take another picture . . . flat . . . boring . . And often friends come to stay and take no pictures.

I think you need to get familiar with an environment before you can add anything. The attraction here is the skies and the trees and the hedgerows and the half covered lanes . . I love it here, but you might be really disappointed if you came for a visit!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Beautiful, flat, drab landscapes, Jono :thumbup:
The road photo makes me wonder where it leads. I have to go there to have a look one day...

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks for the kind words all... much appreciated. Some neat work this week.

From this evening... first bridal session with the a900. The a900 is a great portrait camera:

S

Shelby Lewis

another quick workup from tonight's session... yellow/blue split tone (will eventually perspective correct this probably):

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Shelby, Nice work! The A900 I think will be a big hit with studio photographers especially in capable hands such as yourself.
I'll bet the 135 1.8 is a killer portrait studio lens!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I don't yet have a macro lens for the Sony, but I find the ZA 24-70 does a pretty good job at its closest focus..all these at 70 mm.

Just fun!

Bill

Last edited:

kuau

Workshop Member
Bill I love the "cat" photo the detail is amazing.

Shelby, you've got it going on BIG TIME :)
Your wedding post is one of the best shots I have seen If that is one of your "quick ones" I can only imagine what you can do when you have some time.

Steven

S

Shelby Lewis

wow.... such kind words from everyone! Thanks all.

I love the variety and high quality of much of the work in this thread. Keep it coming. Fantastic.

Here's a few from today's shoot with an emerging singer... first shot is a test for a concept ("the end of cinderella"). Strongly back-lit, but I did have a strobe behind me firing into the ceiling to bump the foreground exposure up a bit. I'll admit that the a900 focus struggled in this strongly back-lit context (or it might have been the siggy 50/1.4 at fault). Second shot is just a promo headshot. Grain added in post in both of these. Original files are buttah smooth... :D

at 100%, the amount of detail in the eyes of the shot below is staggering (coming from a pair of canon 5D)

edwardkaraa

I'll admit that the a900 focus struggled in this strongly back-lit context (or it might have been the siggy 50/1.4 at fault).
I guess any AF system will struggle with strong backlighting and a luminous lens. My A900 also struggles with the ZA 85 in similar situations.

kuau

Workshop Member
Shelby, really like your B&W conversions, Can yuo explain your work flow?
Thanks
Steven

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby, really like your B&W conversions, Can yuo explain your work flow?
Thanks
Steven
Actually... I kind of "wing it" :D

Generally I get the contrast and color correct so that the file looks good in color as well. Then, I often just desaturate followed by a lot of free-hand dodging and burning. On foliage, I use the PS b&W filter sometimes to play with the green/yellow levels.

I also do a lot of feathered selections where I manipulate just certain portions of images to make them recede/advance visually. One thing I do a lot of (with portraits) is select the face and bump up the midtones while also adding density to the blacks... then I'll select inverse and make the midtones denser on the rest of the image. It's subtle, but it makes faces pop a bit more. I also add a subtle vignette to most of my images.

Grain... just "add noise" and fade to taste.

I can't be this picky with lots of wedding images so I often just use a b/w lightroom preset I've developed. If I want emphasis, I'll often drop the image exposure by 1/4 or 1/3 stop, then use an exposure brush at +1/3rd stop just on the parts I want emphasized. Quick and easy.