The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

edwardkaraa

I can see the umistakable signature of the Zeiss 135.

Very nice photo, composition, and singer :D

I'm really not trying to take over this thread... just been shooting a bunch this week! :ROTFL:

From a shoot with a local (YOUNG!) jazz singer here in Nashville for promo purposes (and her CD cover as well... although this particular shot won't be a cover shot).

I have more of these to dig through and will post them after my wedding shoot tomorrow

Strobe with large softbox as mainlight triggered with pocketwizards... city lights in background. A little bit of skin work as well as the resolution if te a900 isn't so kind to skin :D

I think ISO 640.

Quentin_Bargate

I'm really not trying to take over this thread... just been shooting a bunch this week! :ROTFL:

From a shoot with a local (YOUNG!) jazz singer here in Nashville for promo purposes (and her CD cover as well... although this particular shot won't be a cover shot).

I have more of these to dig through and will post them after my wedding shoot tomorrow

Strobe with large softbox as mainlight triggered with pocketwizards... city lights in background. A little bit of skin work as well as the resolution if te a900 isn't so kind to skin :D

I think ISO 640.

Great work, Shelby :salute:

Quentin

Braeside

Re: Holi pictures

Some pictures from Indian festival of Holi. For the uninitiated, some introduction.
It is a festival of color, which spans 2 days. The first part consists of a bon-fire, and having permission to speak ur mind, anything you wish to anyone, idea being to get it all out and be civil rest of the year
:)

Some people need to use external aid (read drinks) in order to execute this cleansing. Following day is "Rang Panchami" or the color festival. People throw color and water on each other, and traditionally "Bhang", an intoxicating drink, is the drink of the day. Usually with some sweets to increase the potency.

Here are some pictures from a Holi festival in California.

All pictures A700 and beercan. I got the color all over the camera :)

As always, C&C welcome.

Cheers,

N
You are very brave to take your gear out in all of that :salute:

Must have been a lot of fun and the results look great. :)

jonoslack

Shelby - the Jazz singer is completely wonderful
BackToSir (funny name that!) - the festival of Holl pictures are great - you'll have paint on it forever (my E1 grip still has sparkles on it from some long forgotten party!).

I had a few minutes in the garden with the 100 macro today, and here are a couple of results:

BackToSlr

Thanks Braeside, Jono.

Yes there are still traces in some nooks and cranies of the camera but nothing inside, it reminds me of all the fun we had :ROTFL:

@Jono - Oh the handle is Back to SLR, it would be weird if it were Back to Sir :D.

Cheers,

N

S

Shelby Lewis

David et al... you guys are TOOOOOOO nice with all the kind words. I'll have to put some out-takes up sometimes to show some of the junk I normally shoot :ROTFL:

More from this past week...

Few more from the Jazz Singer session:

a "set-up" shot by the singer's husband. you can really see the substantial size of the a900/grip/ZA135 in this one, but it doesn't feel overly heavy in the hand, though:

and the resulting shot (neutral background courtesy of some simple pavement... light from broad shade with added silver reflector):

And a couple of wedding moments (nothing great here):

the main shooter's assistant, who also shot a bit:

great broad-shade lighting on a very bright day.. love the eyes in this light:

Cheers!

Terry

I need to stick to my own thread for a while. I have nothing worthy of the good work in this thread

Dale Allyn

Shelby: no kind words here. You are really wringing remarkably good results out of your Sony kit. Just a plain ol' statement of fact.

Really nice images.

R

RichardL

Edward. Very clean jewellery (UK English spelling) shots. How did you light it?

edwardkaraa

Edward. Very clean jewellery (UK English spelling) shots. How did you light it?
Thanks Richard,

I guess I'm getting "Americanized" after 14 years in Thailand :D

I used a very simple set up with one soft box and one spot to add some sparkle, and many card reflectors.

R

RichardL

Interesting, and simple indeed. On first glance I would have guessed it they were shot in a light tent.

edwardkaraa

Interesting, and simple indeed. On first glance I would have guessed it they were shot in a light tent.
I find light tents to be too annoying to work with. Reflectors are much more flexible and give me more space, but they have to be repositioned for every shot.

wayne_s

Shelby,

Did you use any special skin retouching software or 3rd party photoshop actions for this shot?

Thanks,

Wayne

I think ISO 640.

S

Shelby Lewis

Shelby,

Did you use any special skin retouching software or 3rd party photoshop actions for this shot?

Thanks,

Wayne
Yep... standard "beauty" retouching... and when downsized for web, retouched skin always gets too smooth for my taste. I did use Imagenomic's Portraiture plug-in to create a smooth skin mask on a separate layer... then added a smidge of noise to keep it from looking too plastic (although I think it still does... need to back it off a bit)... plus the usual dodge and burn as well as a bit of cloning/healing. Nothing to the eyes and lips yet.

The skin was the only thing smoothed... the background is all zeiss :D