The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Sony . . . .

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

As this thread is entitled FUN pictures, here goes!
Sony a900 at ISO 6400, processed C1 with Color Noise slider at 90%!
1/25th F4 70 mm.

Last edited:

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Bill,

Interesting. Did you have noise reduction in camera active?

Coincidently, I am goofing around with some extreme settings in LR....Bog cotton:

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

No, Georg, strictly a RAW file with no in-camera NR.

When I have a moment I'm going to try a two stop lower ISO (1600) with two stop underexposure to see if it gives better results, because this picture required a significant reduction in post production exposure to make the picture look like the scene as I saw it - quite dark, well after sunset.

I'm now away for a week around the north shore of Lake Superior and will try it there!

Bill

S

Shelby Lewis

Great stuff everyone... lots of fun to look at.

From todays wedding... a few I worked up during the tortuous cf card dump (man these files are BIG). This wedding was pretty intense from the fact that I booked this last year when I was just getting started so there was no provision in the contract for a second shooter, nor an assistant.

Totally on my own... all day. :eek::eek:

Missed a few things, but overall a successful wedding.

Strobe fired by pocketwizard... ambient underexposed quite a bit to keep the sky a nice dark blue.

Ok, I know this is a bit over the top... :D

douglasf13

Bill, I believe that ISO 800 is the last real ISO you want to use with the technique you described, so maybe try ISO 800 with +3 ev instead?

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks!

Georg.. lovely shot.
Thanks Shelby.

I failed to say something about your wedding work so far, sorry about that, but this is definately not because of your work, rather because of me own disposition when it comes to weddings. :ROTFL:

I just can not stand weddings for the Hell of it. - Sorry! - Having said that, I looked at every one of your shots, and I fully agree with what's being said, I think there are many gems in your way of shooting that are most plesant to look at in deed. - The hands with the tiny jewlery come to my mind for example. - I admire people who can do that. Not only does it take a very advanced social disposition, something I lack because I am a rather solitude person, to be able to deal in such a social envrionment, but also advanced knowledge and post processing skills to get into a workflow that does not bog you down, but allows for speedy results. You obviously posses both Shelby!

For what it's worth, if I would be to get married, which certainly will not happen :ROTFL: I would not hesitate a second asking you to take the pictures! I am sure you have tons of recommendations and work up to your eyeballs, excellent!

Best wishes
Georg

jonoslack

HI There
I was doing a church concert last night (more on that later). after the light failed in the church, i caught this shot of Margaret (one of the organisers) outside the church. I was really pleased with it.

A900 135 f1.8 @ f1.8 ISO 640

jonoslack

hehehe, she's got that sparkle.... lovely Jono! Didn't know you play the organ though.... <grins>
Gorblimey - talk about a poisoned chalice!

It's a church do in our village (I should, at this point, emphasise my atheistic tendencies). Each year they have a concert, the funds of which go to the 'fabric of the church' (which I can manage to support).
I get asked to do the photography. This time, I'd negotiated with the singer, and basically I had 4 songs at the start, and no flash. There were three problems.

1. the only way to get close enough was down the main aisle - all the seats were right up against the stage.
2. the only artificial lighting was purple, and the evening sun was catching the stained glass window behind the singers
3. I sold my D3 to Gareth last summer :ROTFL:

So, I shot the A900 with the 135 f1.8 @ 600 ISO in aperture priority, and did the best I could from one angle. The only picture I'm really proud of is the one of the drummer :D

Here are a few samples:

. . . . . . and the drummer :)

jonoslack

Hi Tex & Terry

Jono - you should be pleased!
Thank you - Margaret is completely wonderful, she's 70 this year, but it's really hard to believe. Added to which she is intelligent kind and energetic . .. but I hope you can see that from the picture.

This is one she liked (she didn't like the other one).

S

Shelby Lewis

Thanks Shelby.

I failed to say something about your wedding work so far, sorry about that, but this is definately not because of your work, rather because of me own disposition when it comes to weddings. :ROTFL:

I just can not stand weddings for the Hell of it. - Sorry! - Having said that, I looked at every one of your shots, and I fully agree with what's being said, I think there are many gems in your way of shooting that are most plesant to look at in deed. - The hands with the tiny jewlery come to my mind for example. - I admire people who can do that. Not only does it take a very advanced social disposition, something I lack because I am a rather solitude person, to be able to deal in such a social envrionment, but also advanced knowledge and post processing skills to get into a workflow that does not bog you down, but allows for speedy results. You obviously posses both Shelby!

For what it's worth, if I would be to get married, which certainly will not happen :ROTFL: I would not hesitate a second asking you to take the pictures! I am sure you have tons of recommendations and work up to your eyeballs, excellent!

Best wishes
Georg
Thanks Georg.

There's one problem though... business. I'm TERRIBLE at running a business. It's the first thing in life I feel like I've not been able to "conquer" :ROTFL:

Music degrees... yep. Degree in design and architecture... yep. Jobs... yep. Decent work behind the camera... i guess so.

But business. Damned!

There's this transition point where you have too much work to handle by yourself and not enough money to pay someone else to help out... and I've been stuck in that rut for almost a year. Partially due to the economy, partially due to the fact that I've made too many clients miffed by taking a bit too long to deliver finished products. They always love what they get, but that's not enough in this day and time. People want more...and they want it yesterday!

It's funny... come wedding day, I LOVE working with the couple and their families. I really enjoy the whole "performance" aspect of it. Making critical decisions on the fly and trying to be friendly but efficient. If I could just work alongside some other main shooter for a meager salary, I'd be in heaven.

The rest of the time I wish I could throw my phone in the river and then move to the mountains to be alone with my family. As a matter of fact, I lost my cell phone last weekend and I've not replaced it yet!:ROTFL:

So... we aren't so different, lol. I'm a loner at heart.

Ok, and I guess a bit confused :D

Thanks again for such kind words!

S

Shelby Lewis

Jono... fantastic portrait. Love the "mid-key" b/w conversion and the ever so beautiful rendering of the 135/1.8 in your capable hands.

Drummer shot cracks me up... and I love it when I can find semi-directional light (is that possible?) like that. The rest of the shots look just like another day at the office for wedding photographers here state-side. Ughhh... (the lighting, not the shots)