The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII DxOmarked

Pradeep

Hmmm Sony beat the Nikon on every other score. Sony went after better higher ISO. Thanks Sony that's what I was after. Far more important to me than DR.

But even more important I could care less what Nikon , canon or any other camera scores. I bought a Sony camera to me nothing else means anything. These comparisions are the biggest waste of people's time. I have one brand to shoot with so that's what I shoot. My clients don't care what the scores are. All the care about is what I deliver. All a shooter should care about is what he has in his hands and what he can deliver. Seriously I never want to buy a Nikon again if I can help it or Canon for that matter. These matters are extremely boring.

I shot a nice gig yesterday it was the best shooting experience as far as camera I had in many years. I actually enjoyed working. This DXO stuff is for people that need convincing they bought a good product. Im Not that insecure I know I did

I'm bidding on a 60 page catalog next week for a major beverage company. I get it I'm buying a second body immediately and more glass. This is a investment in me and if Sony keeps building great product I will continue this investment. If not I'll go somewhere else.
I am NOT a big fan of the DXO scoring system. Like Guy, I couldn't care less what they say. I would much rather know if a particular lens is sharp enough for my needs or not and if it has issues with a particular camera body.

For a camera, my only interest is if it fits my requirements of say wildlife shooting (fast AF, high fps etc) or if there is too much noise at a given ISO or shutter shake at a a certain speed etc. I am not bothered with DR, never have been. FWIW, I don't agree with DXO on many things but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with the catalog bidding Guy. Hope you get it.

Amin

Nikon D810 remains king of DR by almost a full stop over the A7rII -- or am I missing something? Granted, at over ISO 400 the Sony shows about a 1-stop advantage, but that is already heavily trimmed both cams base ISO DR significantly...

If my main interest were landscape, I'd see it the same way as you - D810 gives more DR where it matters to me. However I mainly like taking photos of people and don't often find myself shooting at base ISO.

From my point of view, all of these cameras give me plenty of DR to work with at base ISO, whereas the A7RII gives me more at the ISOs where DR is marginal to work with, ISOs where I live.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well...

Yes, different strokes. I would rather have one full stop more DR at my base ISO than one extra stop at any ISO over 800, but that's me -- frankly, whether I'm shooting 1600 or 3200 doesn't matter much to me, because at that point I'm going for something else besides DR, and then 7 stops DR is often enough so it doesn't matter if I have 9 or even 10 available. And even then I can usually "fake" some back in with a careful curve if needed for the look I want anyway...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Amen Jack. I've been discreetly trying to hint at this, but not making any friends....
Well Tim, digital cam brand "fan-ism" is and has become more prevalent ever since Leica released the M8 LOL! I am thankful that at least here at GetDPI we can all be in whatever camp we want to be and discuss the nuances between systems openly, and explain why our favorites are our favorites without sinking to churlish behavior shown on other sites! In fact I believe we all learn and grow when engaged in these discussions as friends that share a passion for photography.

And perhaps my most salient point is we are talking performance nuances when challenging the advantages of 13 or 14 total stops DR versus 9 or 10 at ISO 3200 or 7 v 8 at ISO 25,000! I mean reread that last sentence again ---- we now have 7 to 8 stops at ISO 25,000 in multiple camera systems! 10 years ago, 7 to 8 stops was what the best (and slowest) color film emulsions gave us. ISO 25,000 was a pipe dream -- and when anybody achieved it, they were lucky to have 3 stops; and those 3 were black, white and gray :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We really have so much DR now that even here the brightest sun I ever seen in Arizona I'm still adding to my black point . All these cameras do so well here. I do need the ISO 3200 ability so for me this works out but like I always say DXO is meaningless in a way it don't take processing in the equation which we all know can tweak anything. We are so lucky from when I started digital back in the 90s its scary

Uaiomex

This is my position too. I was expecting for a better landscape camera (which in some ways it is) but v2 advantages are as an action camera mainly.
So for me the A7rII is a mild disappointment. The 5DsR is also less than expected too. The next Nikon could again leapfrog over but my glass is Canon.
I would certainly pass on this Sony offer (hey, it's only for a few months :ROTFL:) but the silent shutter is very persuasive.
Undecided yet.
Eduardo

Well...

Yes, different strokes. I would rather have one full stop more DR at my base ISO than one extra stop at any ISO over 800, but that's me -- frankly, whether I'm shooting 1600 or 3200 doesn't matter much to me, because at that point I'm going for something else besides DR, and then 7 stops DR is often enough so it doesn't matter if I have 9 or even 10 available. And even then I can usually "fake" some back in with a careful curve if needed for the look I want anyway...

Uaiomex

I know friend. It was just a quick way to dismiss it as an ideal landscape camera.
Besides, I'm under the impression that Guy's keen feelings are because of the "action" side of the camera rather than its contemplative landscaping attitudes.
For what I've read and expect now, Sony releasing a new firmware with true 14 bit / non lossy raw would make it my ideal landscape camera.
Best

Eduardo, I never looked at the 7r2 as an action camera!

k-hawinkler

More action! Displayed at 50% resolution. :loco:

Sony A7r2 + Leica APO-R 280/4, 1/2000 s, either f/4 or 5.6, ISO 2500, processed with C1.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

K-H, Not playing it fair! :lecture: This is supposed to be a thread about charts and numbers! :bugeyes:

k-hawinkler

K-H, Not playing it fair! :lecture: This is supposed to be a thread about charts and numbers! :bugeyes:
Thanks Vivek! Sorry about that. Oh well, I always follow my own rules anyway.
I don't know why, but somehow the DxO charts never seem to capture the ton of fun I have with the A7r2. :ROTFL: :banghead: :ROTFL:

Uaiomex

Great true action picture!
What kind of ISO, focusing and post?

More action! Displayed at 50% resolution. :loco:

https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2015-08-25-A7RII2804-APO/i-rw638wv/0/O/_DSC1445_7952x5304_Crop_3840x2160_1920x1080.jpg

Sony A7r2 + Leica APO-R 280/4[/QUOTE]

Guy Mancuso

I know friend. It was just a quick way to dismiss it as an ideal landscape camera.
Besides, I'm under the impression that Guy's keen feelings are because of the "action" side of the camera rather than its contemplative landscaping attitudes.
For what I've read and expect now, Sony releasing a new firmware with true 14 bit / non lossy raw would make it my ideal landscape camera.
Best
My money made is not really landscape so speed is a little more important . Btw this rII can be a sports cam do not underestimate its speed. It's quick not football quick but it's still very fast

Guy Mancuso

Many thanks Guy. Especially coming from you means a lot to me. Thanks again.
Seriously it's a real challenge . I tried 2 weeks ago had a much shorter lens but really manual focus is the only way to go. I tried the AF but they are way to small and like lightning. Nothing can catch them with AF

ohnri

The DXO illustrates one reason why the A7r2 is the best camera I have used.

Not because it scored one insignificant point higher than the powerful D810 but because it somewhat quantifies why it is such a great all around camera.

And that is without bringing the 4K video, amazing AF, IBIS, or the EVF into play.

If I were locking down heavy gear on a tripod and shooting at base ISO I would, no doubt, be torn between the D810 and the Pentax 645 Z and the delicate nuances of printing from each.

But hey, I'm not!

And even if I were, the Sony is a hell of a good choice. I will happily put my Sony landscape imagery up against any other gear shot by a roughly equal photographer and be confident that no buyer will notice the difference.

And whatever differences do exist will be more than lost in my post processing and printing and framing and display lighting choices.

Dang it, I've almost talked myself into believing that it doesn't matter at all. Maybe I should look again at the 24-240. Sharp in the center, I've heard.

Regards,

Bill