The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII DxOmarked

k-hawinkler

D810 = killer camera!

A7RII = killer camera!
Thanks, I agree. I am sure there are others.
In my book, just a tad below that, from the previous technology generation though:

D800E

A7R

I certainly will continue to use those tools as well.

In fact the Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro G OSS lens gives the A7R a new capability, namely image stabilization.
Here is a handheld shot with that system, displayed at 50% resolution.

A7R + 90/2.8 FE Macro G OSS, 1/1000 s, f/11, ISO 1250, processed with C1.

I think that lens (or in the future other FE OSS lenses) will see a lot of use on my A7R. :thumbs:

ErikKaffehr

Yes Sir,

But I would say that it is a bit typical. Nikon and Pentax seem to make better use of the Sony sensor than Sony themselves. I would think that Bionz (the ASIC) is the culprit.

Best regards
Erik

Maybe I don't know how to read the chart properly, but it appears to me the Nikon D810 remains king of DR by almost a full stop over the A7rII -- or am I missing something? Granted, at over ISO 400 the Sony shows about a 1-stop advantage, but that is already heavily trimmed both cams base ISO DR significantly...

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Well, real men shoot at base ISO and carry ND-filters…

Joke aside, with quantum efficiency going up, we will get higher base ISOs. Backside illumination also adds a bit on ISO. Now, full well capacity is also going up, which can lower base ISO.

On the other hand, DxO-mark measured base ISO to 73, not so far from 64 :)

Reading your later posting I realise that you shot base ISO to gain maximum DR. That makes sense. Using Nikon D810 also makes sense.

Best regard
Erik

Real men shoot at ISO 32 :lecture:

:ROTFL:

I do, actually... 32 and 64 most of the time. Must be a habit from my Velvia days :)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yes a good point. Hmm, several good points! Now is time for some good shooting.

Best regards
Erik

Hmmm Sony beat the Nikon on every other score. Sony went after better higher ISO. Thanks Sony that's what I was after. Far more important to me than DR.

But even more important I could care less what Nikon , canon or any other camera scores. I bought a Sony camera to me nothing else means anything. These comparisions are the biggest waste of people's time. I have one brand to shoot with so that's what I shoot. My clients don't care what the scores are. All the care about is what I deliver. All a shooter should care about is what he has in his hands and what he can deliver. Seriously I never want to buy a Nikon again if I can help it or Canon for that matter. These matters are extremely boring.

I shot a nice gig yesterday it was the best shooting experience as far as camera I had in many years. I actually enjoyed working. This DXO stuff is for people that need convincing they bought a good product. Im Not that insecure I know I did

I'm bidding on a 60 page catalog next week for a major beverage company. I get it I'm buying a second body immediately and more glass. This is a investment in me and if Sony keeps building great product I will continue this investment. If not I'll go somewhere else.

Jim DE

Seriously it's a real challenge . I tried 2 weeks ago had a much shorter lens but really manual focus is the only way to go. I tried the AF but they are way to small and like lightning. Nothing can catch them with AF
Guy, the a77II and 150-600 or 70-400 with its new flex spot mode can nail them all day long with AF. For me AF is all I use on these and set the in camera focus limiter to a range 2' in front and back of the food source. Spot focusing and hoping one flies through that spot is far tougher and the DOF far too narrow with long glass and short distances. Right now the females are very active and they are much less spooky than the males who are starting to move south already here.

Have not tried the a7rII with this as I don't have the #3 adapter but I did not buy this body for that purpose either. The a77II will remain my BIF/ wildlife and macro camera. Hate giving up reach or DOF for these genre.

V

Vivek

Yes Sir,

But I would say that it is a bit typical. Nikon and Pentax seem to make better use of the Sony sensor than Sony themselves. I would think that Bionz (the ASIC) is the culprit.

Best regards
Erik
Based on one Sony manager's interview that appears to be one of the problems. It is quite possible that Nikon and Pentax ask for and get sensor units with better read out from Sony. I used to "believe" that they are all the same.

Frankly, I am getting less and less enthusiastic with Sony. :(

k-hawinkler

Based on one Sony manager's interview that appears to be one of the problems. It is quite possible that Nikon and Pentax ask for and get sensor units with better read out from Sony. I used to "believe" that they are all the same.

Frankly, I am getting less and less enthusiastic with Sony. :(

Thanks Vivek. What are your reasons? TIA.

V

Vivek

K-H,

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/55947-world-compromise.html

Add to this one other fragmented interview somewhere (recent) where the Sony guys say that if the people want it, they will build it and provide it.

I want all the comforts (size, liveview and such advances) that the current Sony cams offer but with better things added to them. I do not accept the view that a liveview cam has to compromise on a lot to be here. The only way that Sony will act is with competition. Samsung, unfortunately has not done much to push Sony. I hope some others will pick up that task.

k-hawinkler

K-H,

Add to this one other fragmented interview somewhere (recent) where the Sony guys say that if the people want it, they will build it and provide it.

I want all the comforts (size, liveview and such advances) that the current Sony cams offer but with better things added to them. I do not accept the view that a liveview cam has to compromise on a lot to be here. The only way that Sony will act is with competition. Samsung, unfortunately has not done much to push Sony. I hope some others will pick up that task.

Thanks Vivek for the pointer to the other thread. Very interesting indeed!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
K-H,

Who would be the others then?

Nikon - I doubt!

Canon - I doubt even more!

Fuji seems to stick with APSC - so no real competition.

Olympus is even less competition with m43. Only thing if a rumor gets true, they could build a FF mirrorless camera for FE mount, which would be a real competition then.

Leica with their new mirrorless system to come? Might become a competition although I fear the price will rule out any real competition.

Do not see much competition for the next time (years) unfortunately!

Quentin_Bargate

I don't doubt your judgement but don't understand the offense. My ignorance. Could you please explain why? TIA.
Because its a gratuitous insult to the British Head of State and members of her immediate family that is of no relevance to these forums, that many, myself included, find offensive.

It is also of absolutely no relevance to DxO, cameras or anything else on these forums.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Removed had no relevance to topic and honestly wasn't that funny anyway.

For all forum members we try and stay out of politics. Religion and all that stuff. It's just not pertinent to photography and just causes a lot of pissed off people. We here to learn, share and be friends.

Carry on

Last edited: