The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideal camera bag for the A7RII kit

hcubell

Last Fall, I did a time consuming search for a camera bag for a Sony A7R (or A7RII) kit that would meet four goals:

1. VERY light weight.
2. As small as possible, yet provide quick and convenient access to the camera body with a mounted lens and two additional lenses. The FE 70-200mm zoom, the FE 55 f/1.8 and the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm FE zoom or another prime.
3. The ability to store the A7R (or the A7RII) with the 70-200 zoom mounted on the body, or alternatively store the 70-200 zoom separately. This is important to me as I would not want to be forced into changing lenses in order to store the gear.
4. Comfortable to use for walking around a city while traveling.

The bag that I finally found that met these goals for me is the Lowepro Transit Sling 250AW. It weighs only 1.7 pounds. There are surely more "elegant" bags around, but none provides the combination of extremely light weight with the desired functionality.

JMaher

To be even more confusing here. I am going on a week long trip and I am bring a lot of stuff in a Billingham 445 but also taking a very lightweight Domke F3X as shooting bag. It should easily hole the camera with a lens attached as well as tow more lenses and the pockets will hold a flash, etc if I need it. All this in a light and easy to carry bag. Not as elegant pr protective as the Billingham the Domke has its own charm.

iiiNelson

I have a ONA Union Street and ONA Berlin I for when I want to go small and light. The ONA Berlin can accommodate the A7R and both Batis lenses with filters and accessories as well no problem. The Union Street provides room for one body plus 2-4 lenses(if one is attached to the body and the extras are small.) I'd recommend either.

I I also have a Gura Gear, Tenba, and Tamrac floating around somewhere that are larger (the Tenba isn't much larger physically but can hold a crap ton of stuff.)

Hausen

Tried out the Ona Union Street over the weekend and a little small for my kit. Very tempted by the Wotancraft Ranger though. $US499 is the only thing giving me pause.:banghead:

algrove

Sounds to me that any bag that would suffice for a Leica M kit is worthy of consideration here too.

dmward

All these high end bags are appealing.
My stable includes a large Domke bag I've had for years; a small Domke bag I've had almost as long; and two cheap shoulder bags I acquired from Amazon that I've put padded inserts into. I put the gear I want for the particular situation into the appropriate bag.

The small Domke is my go to bag for the A7RII when walking around. It holds the camera with a lens, a couple of extra lenses, batteries, cards in case, a small pouch with cable, tripod plate, lens cloth, etc.

The rest of the gear is in rolling cases. Bare bulb strobes and accessories in one, speedlites, lenses and accessories in another.

I love my Filson Harvey shoulder bag. You shouldn't have a problem fitting everything you mention. Plus it looks great and hangs comfy. In general though I think currently Think Tank has the best line of no-bullsh*t indestructible gear. They don't always look that great but I have a couple of their bags and they are absolutely the best designed I've used.

JMaher

We all have bags we love - apparently as much as we love cameras!

My perspective:

Domke - light weight - not much protection but a great shooting bag - I have two different sizes that I have had for many years and both get used depending on how much I want to carry. These seem to get the most use when I am specifically going out to shoot.

Billingham (I seem to have too many). Fantastic bags - expensive and look it (that might be an negative) - last forever - great protection but a little heavy - great storage and transport.

Think Tank - I have only owned one (now sold) and while it was very well built I thought it was less adaptable than the ones above. Others seem to love them and I may have just made an unfortunate choice (for me)

Wotancraft - I want a Ryker but certainly can not justify it with everything else I have.

Others- so many choice and so little time :)

Jim

Last edited:

Pradeep

Thanks everyone, this has been a great thread.

I just got back from a very exciting trip to Iceland (my second one in two years) - but more about that later.

I found that I really missed a small bag to carry on the hikes away from our vehicle. I had the Billingham vest on and carried two lenses in it, one in each side pocket and one lens mounted on the A7R2. With filters, batteries, gloves etc it became quite a chore and the vest was absolutely fantastic, it took everything I threw at it and still had room for more.

However, it would really have been much easier if I had a smallish bag with capacity for 2-3 lenses and the A7R2 could then hang from my Black Rapid as it did.

As others have pointed out, the E-mount lenses are quite a bit bigger than Leica M mount ones, especially the 85 Batis and the 16-35. The hoods are large and make it difficult.

So I ordered the Hadley small yesterday.

I must say the Wotencraft Ryker is looking very appealing too, the finish and style is quite interesting. Will wait to see how the Hadley works.

hcubell

Tried out the Ona Union Street over the weekend and a little small for my kit. Very tempted by the Wotancraft Ranger though. $US499 is the only thing giving me pause.:banghead:
The Ranger appears to be a a very attractive bag. However, I can't understand why anyone would want use a bag for a Sony A7R kit that weighs close to 5.5 pounds before you put any camera equipment in it. A Sony A7RII, the FE 24-70mm zoom, the FE 55 f/1.8 and the FE 70-200 zoom together weigh 4.8 pounds.

dandrewk

I am gravitating towards camera bags that don't LOOK like camera bags.

There has been an uptick of cameras being strong armed away from photographers/tourists, sometimes also including assaults. Recently a tourist got his camera yanked ONE BLOCK from a huge tourist spot in SF (nice neighborhood too). He ran after the perps (bad idea) and got shot for the effort. Clearly, thugs are targeting nice looking cameras, maybe as a result of smart phones being worthless when stolen.

So, no more "steal me" bags for me.

jim251

A few weeks ago I bought a Thinktank Urban Approach 10. I have 2 other TTs and was satisfied with them but even though the UA 10 fit my gear perfectly (indeed the ads show it with my kit) the bag just seemed "sterile" and totally lacking in "soul." So I returned it unused.

Now I read this thread and get exposed to a few really nice bags I've never heard of and pffft! I find myself with another case of bag-want, complete with an associated case of bag-indecision. I think I need to take a chill pill and see if this forum software has a blocking feature for an entire thread. Aaargh...

dandrewk

So we must walk around with a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag, and never pull a camera out of the bag for fear of being robbed. No thanks. I'll stay in North Carolina.

Joe
Well, that's overstating it. All I'm saying is many camera bags just scream camera bag. Most of the newer designs do not.

Strong arm robberies don't occur in NC?

Hausen

The Ranger appears to be a a very attractive bag. However, I can't understand why anyone would want use a bag for a Sony A7R kit that weighs close to 5.5 pounds before you put any camera equipment in it. A Sony A7RII, the FE 24-70mm zoom, the FE 55 f/1.8 and the FE 70-200 zoom together weigh 4.8 pounds.
I think that I am a bag addict and I love the look of the Ranger also. If the bag weighs more, then I just have to get fitter to carry it, and that is how I like to live my life. If you can't carry 11 pounds then you won't get that bag. If like me you can carry 11pounds/5kgs then you will. If we all wanted the same bag then that would be problematic;)

hcubell

I think that I am a bag addict and I love the look of the Ranger also. If the bag weighs more, then I just have to get fitter to carry it, and that is how I like to live my life. If you can't carry 11 pounds then you won't get that bag. If like me you can carry 11pounds/5kgs then you will. If we all wanted the same bag then that would be problematic;)
It's all about values. The "style" of a camera bag is way down the list of the considerations that are important to me in evaluating a camera bag. I think the last reason why I would undertake a more vigorous exercise program is so that I can carry a better looking camera bag.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe interested in the guru bag. I need a system bag. Trying to stay small as much as possible but need 2 cameras, 5 lenses and maybe even 2 flashes bag. Mostly for gigs type of bag. I'm usually after function than style bag whore.

dmward

Maybe interested in the guru bag. I need a system bag. Trying to stay small as much as possible but need 2 cameras, 5 lenses and maybe even 2 flashes bag. Mostly for gigs type of bag. I'm usually after function than style bag whore.
Guy,
I found an inexpensive suitcase at Costco. Its carry-on size with wheels. The newer kind with a wheel set at each corner so it can stand up on them.
I put lenses, bodies, speedlites into it, each in a foam padded sleeve. The gels, batteries (in their own pouch) and other ancillary stuff goes into the zippered topside. I then use the Domke J-803 to carry the two or three essential lenses and stuff. It will also hold the camera with lens and two others.

Easy to move everything around. Have what I need for the job and still stay light and mobile when shooting.

Pradeep

I've bought many bags over the years, along with many cameras and my quest for the perfect bag continues, just like for the perfect camera. Unfortunately these are both never-ending. I blame the rigors of age and the absolutely unpredictable and inane airline policies wrt carry-on baggage rules.

I have gone through the TT Airport Security, both v1.0 and 2.0, Airport International and after sacrificing all at the 'check your carry-on bag' bins, settled on the Airport Airstream. However, empty, the bag still weighs a hefty 10 lbs! No good if you are only carrying the Sony cameras. So it now sits in the basement along with the others.

I've also tried Gura Gear Kiboko and Bataflae 32L both being too big to carry without rollers (at least for me, when fully loaded with the big Canon bodies and glass). Since I sold my 600 though, I've moved on to the 18L. This is just about right (weighs only 3.5lb empty) and that's what I've been taking with me, I can carry it even fully loaded and it does manage a lot. However, it is painful to use in the field on a hike, you have to keep taking it off and putting it on the ground. It is great for Africa where you are always in the vehicle.

So back to the Billingham Hadley small. Hopefully this one will not only be functional but stylish and durable. It weighs only 1.5 lbs and thus with my typical landscape rig - the A7R2, Batis 25 and 85, 16-35 f4 and possibly 55 1.8 (if it can take them all), my total weight would be from 5.8 to 6.7 lbs, which I think is not too bad. All depends upon how easy it is to take things in and out and to carry the bag slung over the shoulder.

I remain optimistic :)

my typical landscape rig - the A7R2, Batis 25 and 85, 16-35 f4 and possibly 55 1.8 (if it can take them all)
It probably won't. One lens on the camera, plus two more, is about it. (The 55mm might fit in one of the front pockets, but they are unpadded.)