The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please share your Capture One experiences

teeraash

Just got the A7R II for a few days. Yesterday I tried CO and it seems to render pretty subtle colours that I like a lot. But the software is new to me and it would save lot of time for people that switch from LR to CO if you guys will share your experiences such as how you normally set the sharpening or noise reduction parameters and so on. Also how you use CO's features that are not available in LR. Many thanks for your contributions.

Amin

With the A7RII, I usually leave noise reduction at the default setting and set sharpening to 300/0.6/0.6 as a starting point, then raise or lower the amount by eye.

k-hawinkler

With the A7RII, I usually leave noise reduction at the default setting and set sharpening to 300/0.6/0.6 as a starting point, then raise or lower the amount by eye.
Thanks Amin.

BTW, keeping Radius pretty small compared to 1.0, the smaller the better, and Threshhold larger than 0.0, the larger the better, assures no Orange Peel effect even for very large values for Amount. Easy to spot when displayed at 400% and aggressively moving the sliders until the Orange Peel effect disappears. :thumbup:

I would choose something like:

less than 300/0.6/1.0

to be on the safe side.

teeraash

Sometime I got quite a nice skin tone, sometime not with CO. Tell us your tricks to get nice portrait images particularly in a not-too-perfect lighting conditions.

Last edited:

Jim DE

I can't help much as I am only recently getting deeper into C1 because of the a7rII and no support for Aperture anymore as well. It was a choice between LR6 and C1 and I liked the out of the box conversion much better from C1 than LR6 (and I hate Adobe anything anyway).

Right now I do a basic conversion and some highlight and shadow slider tweaking then move it as a TIF to aperture for final adjustments and filing.

Sometime I got quite a nice skin tone, sometime not with CO. Tell us your tricks to get nice portrait images particularly in a not-too-perfect lighting conditions.
The tool I preferably use to adjust the skin tones is the Color Editor/Skin Tone where you can select precisely the tone of the skin you want to adjust and then fine tune hue, saturation and lightness. There is a uniformity slider which works very very well. Easy and very intuitive to use.