The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone using a Sony A7R to stitch to get Medium Format type results?

mandonbossi

Just wondering if anyone is using the Sony A7R series to "stitch" to achieve Medium Format Digital results?

I currently have the Sony A7R and have used a Mirex adapter to stitch to achieve roughly a 33mm x 44mm type "virtual" sensor size and the results have been really nice..

There seems to be a few options out there at the moment including

* Cambo Actus

* Arca Swiss Universalis

* Hcam Master and Mirex adapters

* Rhinocam

Am interested mainly in landscapes and architecture and therefore the use of front rise (as well as stitching to get a large file size) is important to me..

All of these options seems to provide this, apart from the Rhinocam which does not enable front rise. With the Mirex/Hcam Master it seems to be the case of buying an additional adapter if wanting rise/fall as well as shift left/right..

With the shots that I have done, alongside the extra resolution, there is also something about the image that just looks better when it has been stitched..

Is it the fact that there is simply more overall colours involved in the stitched image? Hmmm, am not sure but there is definitely something to it that looks better than a straight A7R capture...

Apart from the CCD vs CMOS debate, is this why medium format images can often look better? Purely due to larger sensor size and therefore more overall colours involved in the final output?

If stitching with either the Cambo Actus or Universalis, what is the "virtual" sensor size that can be achieved (rear shifts and rise/fall only)?

If it is bigger than a 645 image that is the largest that can be achieved in MFBD photography, is it possible that the image will look better? Say a 6cm x 6cm "virtual" sensor size?

Having said all that, the single shot captures coming from the Sony A7RII seems really nice indeed! Would love to see some stitched examples of those... :)

jlm

Workshop Member
speaking for the combo actus, you have about +/-15mm shift and rise, pretty typical. you just need lenses with a large enough image circle

dmward

HERE is a link to a post on my blog describing how I used the shift capability of a Canon TSE lens to create a pano. That was with an A7R.

I haven't taken the time to do anything similar with the A7RII.
I'm thinking that using it to do a horizontal image with vertical shift will create an amazing square image.

Something to work on getting ready for fall colors.

The native 42mg file is already quite amazing.

I use the A7R with the Horseman VVC Pro + Rodenstock 120mm Apo Macro. The horseman has back standard shift (rise, fall and laterals movements). Compare to Cambo Actus is provably not so sturdy.

I get excellent results.

ACH