The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I would never think of a 16-35 as a walkaround family lens...

Amin

But I can see why some are doing that with the high-resolution cameras (A7R, A7RII, etc).

Here's an example. This crop from an A7R photo taken at the long end of the FE16-35 zoom yields an 8.6MP image with the same framing one would have gotten with a 78mm lens from that distance:

100% view from that 8.6MP crop:

Amin

This has me thinking I don't need the 25 Batis when my Voigtlander 15mm lens gives me a ridiculously sharp (to the extreme corners) 15MP file when cropped to 25mm equivalent.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lol no getting around the Batis 25 my friend. LOL

I know it's tough since the 16-35 is really a nice lens from 16-26. It's a usage call but if you have the VC15 which we all love than the zoom is kind of a mute point in a way. For that same money the Batis 25 and Zeiss 35 1.4 you have make much better sense plus they are killer wide open. F4 is tough to deal with sometimes although out high ISO went up. I honestly don't miss my 16-35 at all. I'm feeling pretty good about my kit I do want either the 55 or loxia 50 back in my hands.

I'll tell you one thing that is a fundamental change for me is AF. I like having them for shooting speed and this new body is deadly accurate too. I still go manual with them when I have that need. I actually have my camera on manual focus and use the rear button to get me on target with AF either I shoot or I can go manual from there. Like this setup a lot. I can be fast or I can be slower depending on subject. The 16-35 Is a convenient zoom and maybe there best zoom so I can see why many folks prefer it. I'm just more a prime kind of shooter.

dmward

I don't see cropping as a substitute for the proper lens focal length.
I come from the perspective that the more resolution in an image the better.
Good Lens, lots of pixels makes for a good resource file.

One never knows.

Amin

Lol, not letting me off the Batis hook.

I'm a prime shooter too. 16-35 was only on loan for review. Have VC 15 III and FE35/1.4. Probably will get the 25
Batis.

Guy, can you explain a bit more about your AF setup, which button you use, etc? I find it a pain to have to toggle off and back to the spot AF whenever I want to move the AF point. There has to be a better way.

Back on topic, I agree with the two replies and don't use my lenses this way (intent to crop), but I can understand why some are using this way.

Viramati

But I can see why some are doing that with the high-resolution cameras (A7R, A7RII, etc).

Here's an example. This crop from an A7R photo taken at the long end of the FE16-35 zoom yields an 8.6MP image with the same framing one would have gotten with a 78mm lens from that distance:

100% view from that 8.6MP crop:

Sure you can crop but hey that bokeh is not looking very nice!!

bradhusick

I took the 16-35 to Iceland and never took it off the camera. Came home and printed a coffee table book. It's a great lens. And I do have the VC15-III, but it's a fixed focal length and not autofocus.

Amin

Sure you can crop but hey that bokeh is not looking very nice!!
That's not the crop. That's the crop of the crop. The 8MP crop has no bokeh to speak of at normal viewing size and distance. 100% crop bokeh peeping is asking for trouble.

Guy Mancuso

Lol, not letting me off the Batis hook.

I'm a prime shooter too. 16-35 was only on loan for review. Have VC 15 III and FE35/1.4. Probably will get the 25
Batis.

Guy, can you explain a bit more about your AF setup, which button you use, etc? I find it a pain to have to toggle off and back to the spot AF whenever I want to move the AF point. There has to be a better way.

Back on topic, I agree with the two replies and don't use my lenses this way (intent to crop), but I can understand why some are using this way.
Yes I'll get you setup. Later today sound good

Guy Mancuso

Amin check out my custom functions on sticky thread. Now I made a change with focus area. I put it on the center dial button so when set up for like flexible spot I can hit that than hit again than I can move to any point I need. Than hit half press to get out and ready for shot at af point I chose. It's faster than it sounds.

Back focus is set up with ad/mf center button set to I think af/mf hold . It's posted

ohnri

It is absolutely a fine walkabout family lens.

It is more than good enough at any focal length and aperture to serve that role.

More ... Than ... Good ... Enough

And for really wide shots it is excellent.

And has the tasty Eye Detect AF which works well even at 16 mm.

No MF lens gives me the same flexibility.

-Bill