The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

schneider 28mm 2,8 pc super angulon...opinion needed

daf

Hi,
I would like some advice on the Schneider pc super angulon 28f2,8...
Dors anyone tried it on modern sensor? What's your feeling?
Ca?distorsion?corner sharpness?
For référence to Lens i already own 17/24tseII, 35pc distagon, pentax55/75/90(+shift).
Thanks a lot for your kind advice...
And NO i'll not but the new version;)

danlindberg

I had one a long time ago. I bought it together with the then newly released Canon 1Ds mkII.

I used it extensively and although it was coupled to an, today, ancient sensor I recall that the lens was very sharp in the centre wideopen but with soft corners and around a stop vignetting. Stopped down to f5.6 it was sharp across the frame with lens zeroed. I went max shift 8mm and when shifted I always used f8 or f11. Staying within these numbers it was a solid performer - however, I remember it to distort more than I would have liked....

daf

Thanks Dan!
I'm a bit concerned by distorsion...when you say "more than what I would have liked" do you mean it's a no go for architecture shot? Sorry but I can't find any sample picture.

i really want a good 28 ts for my sony, it is my favorite focal...any other idea? Including MF lenses+ts adapter?

danlindberg

Yes, I am purposely cautious because it is a long time ago and the 1Ds mkII was my first digital cam. Up to that point I worked exclusively with an extensive GX680III setup. Meaning that my references were different and ofcourse today I would probably look at those PC 28 shots different again. But, as far as I recall I was impressed with stopped down sharpness and I was disapointed with amount of distortion. But the severity of distortion I cannot for the life of me remember.

However, this reminds me again - never sell a lens....(would have loved to try it on the A7R) :rolleyes:

Audii-Dudii

Hi,
I would like some advice on the Schneider pc super angulon 28f2,8...
Dors anyone tried it on modern sensor? What's your feeling?
Ca?distorsion?corner sharpness?
I have one and have used it extensively with my A7R and before that, a Fuji X-Pro 1. (FWIW, mine was converted to a Nikon F-mount using a Leitax replacement mounting flange and a Kipon adapter and tolerances being what they are, other combos may work better or worse than this one.)

In general, I've been very pleased with the results from my copy, although I'm not a reviewer, so I can't answer your specific questions about its performance. I can say it provides a noticeably different "look" than the Contax N lenses I also use, but not one that's necessarily better or worse. This is specifically true with regard to contrast, as it doesn't "pop" the way the best Zeiss glass, but renders scenes in a softer, smoother style that, for some subjects, is preferable. (To that end, I do find that I punch up the overall contrast a bit during post-processing; not a lot, mind you, but more than I do with my Zeiss lenses.)

I photograph primarily at night and my primary subject matter could loosely be considered architecture. I usually shoot at f8, but sometimes f5.6 and f11, and while there is some distortion, it's nothing I haven't been able to sufficiently correct using the basic distortion tools in Photoshop. Here are a few samples from my project "85258," which involves photographing my neighborhood at night, the first set being taken with my Fuji X-Pro 1 and the second set with my A7R, so you can judge for yourself how much residual distortion remains:

And with the A7R:

Incredibly, I don't think I've ever used it during daylight or processed any photos from it in color, so I don't know if any of the above is helpful to you. But as I said, on the whole, I am pleased with its performance and for what I paid for mine (IIRC, it was right around $1k back in 2012), it represents more than fair value (IMO, anyway.)

Hope this helps!

Hausen

I had the model with a Leica R badge on it and used it extensively on my A99 (With a Leitax mount) and then A7r. Sold it recently to well known Leica guy here in NZ who loves it as well. Sold mine primarily because I wanted the Canon 24TS-E again and the Sony A7 series meant that this was possible again.

daf

Thanks all for comment and pictures ...

Any altrenative @28mm for TS on a FF ? i mean any good MF which i could use with a TS adapter with low/easy correctable distorsion?

daf

Thanks all for comment and pictures ...

Any altrenative @28mm for TS on a FF ? i mean any good MF which i could use with a TS adapter with low or easy correctable distorsion?

henningw

I have the Canon 17 & 24vII as well as the old FD 35 TS, and had a chance at a Leica version 28PC recently. I had hoped to use it on my Leica M240, but even though the price was good ( about $1K) decided to not take it as it didn't measure up to the Canon lenses. It was definitely better than the 28PC f/3.5 Nikkor which I still have, but not by a whole lot, and it had more distortion when the shifting got extreme. If you don't push it (too wide an aperture and/or too much shift) it'll probably still work acceptably on an A7R II, but it is a bit limiting.