The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange double image a7rII w Leica APO 50

dchew

I have had something like you mention with the Leica T when taking images with some candle lights.
My interpretation was that it could be an internal reflection between sensor and lens.
I have only experienced it in one situation, so I dont worry too much about it.
Does it happen more often in your case?
This is the first and only time I've seen this, which is why I am so curious. I used the AA50 on my a7r for a year and never experienced this, but I do not take many night photos, and perhaps none before with any Sony A series. Next week when I get the chance to test it out, I will use both the a7r and the a7rII. My guess is I will see it in both.

Thank you all for your help. Another example of how great this forum is!

Dave

Amin

I have no idea what caused the double image. Just wanted to say, what a gorgeous image, Dave. So beautiful and well done.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like a reflection somewhere to me. You wouldn't get the extended star pairs on a long exposure like that with movement unless it was rapid oscillation between two points.

My first thought was IBIS on whilst on a tripod but you say it was off. Could it have been anything related to focus? Did you adjust focus to nail the stars in the later shots that didn't have the mirrored stars?

dchew

Graham,
All 4 images shot with the AA50 have the mirrored stars, but I can't remember if I readjusted focus at all during the four shots. So if I didn't it could be related to focus. After all it was dark and I was sleepy. :facesmack:
This is one case where an optical viewfinder might have been better. There was an awful lot of noise in the viewfinder if I remember correctly.

The fact that it only exists with this lens makes me suspicious Vivek is correct. I just find it hard to believe the metal chrome base of the lens would reflect such nice lines. But I am certainly not an optics engineer!

Dave

Looks like a reflection somewhere to me. You wouldn't get the extended star pairs on a long exposure like that with movement unless it was rapid oscillation between two points.

My first thought was IBIS on whilst on a tripod but you say it was off. Could it have been anything related to focus? Did you adjust focus to nail the stars in the later shots that didn't have the mirrored stars?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We needed a disclaimer:

Animals were harmed during the filming of this production. This is blessed by Mother Nature so please no whining and no law suits. LOL

Last edited:

dchew

We needed a disclaimer:

Animals were harmed during the filming of this production. This is blessed by Mother Nature so please no whining and no law suits. LOL
That is funny Guy, but was it supposed to be in another thread perhaps? Like maybe one with a praying mantis and a hummingbird? :loco:
:)

Dave

dchew

I have no idea what caused the double image. Just wanted to say, what a gorgeous image, Dave. So beautiful and well done.
Thank you Amin,
As usual with my mini adventures, the "be there" part was the real joy. To get to Refuge Du Couvercle you have to first climb down some ladders and cross a glacier. Then you are met with this:

Yeah that is straight up, or maybe even a bit overhanging for about 100 meters. :bugeyes:

And that's just the beginning! You just keep telling yourself it is no different than climbing a little ladder at home to clean the eaves.
:p

Dave