The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Polarizing Filter for Sony/Zeiss?

jpaulmoore

Hello all,
I have always used either B+W or Heliopan Filters but I was wondering about Zeiss for my new 70-200 f4 FE, and for my pre-ordered Zeiss 25mm Batis. With newer lenses and sensor technology what (if anything) should I be looking for?
Thanks,
J. Paul

dandrewk

Add Hoya to your list of premium filters.

Most important, do not scrimp on the coatings! Not only will it greatly reduce flare, but the ability of those lens coatings to resist fingerprints is critical. You can save $$$ if you buy one without the premium layers (different manufacturers call it different things, but they all resist fingerprints), but it will come back to haunt you.

Believe me, I know. I bought several non-resistant filters and have had to replace most of them. Once a fingerprint gets on them, if you don't -immediately- clean it off, the oils will eat into the coating and leave a permanent fingerprint. Nobody needs that.

Hello all,
I have always used either B+W or Heliopan Filters but I was wondering about Zeiss for my new 70-200 f4 FE, and for my pre-ordered Zeiss 25mm Batis. With newer lenses and sensor technology what (if anything) should I be looking for?
Thanks,
J. Paul
The current best is from Breakthrough Photography. I have done a few tests myself against most of the top tier filter makers out there, and it comes out with the least flares, least sharpness reduction, best coating (fluorite coating on both sides, B+W only on the front), and best frame design with the thinnest possible profile.

SamSS

I've been using Sony Zeiss 72mm VF-72CPAM circular polarizer and it's great.
I've heard great filters from Breakthrough Photography and probably on my list for the next lens with 77mm diameter or larger.

jpaulmoore

Thanks for your feedback on Polarizing Filters! I tried to order the Polarizing filter from Breakthrough Photography but they are back-ordered. I sent them an email for estimated delivery, but if it's going to be a while, I will probably go with the Zeiss.
Regards,
J. Paul

Jim DE

I am really surprised no one mentioned the only filters I would ever put I front of my expensive glass ..... For me it is Singh Ray 77mm filters and 4"x6" gradients or nothing at all.

I have owned a bunch of various top of the line filters over the years but nothing comes close to Singh Ray ( but you do definitely pay for this quality as well)

Thanks for your feedback on Polarizing Filters! I tried to order the Polarizing filter from Breakthrough Photography but they are back-ordered. I sent them an email for estimated delivery, but if it's going to be a while, I will probably go with the Zeiss.
Regards,
J. Paul
I used to have a set of Zeiss filters in the past. They are good at almost everything except when you need to clean them. They don't coat their filters with hydrophobic coating. I have seen a few user's reports on the fragility of the coating as well. But if you clean them with ROR and Purosol, they should last quite long. Mine was under regular cleaning for a year without showing sign of any damage. Also, they have aluminum frame instead of brass, but I have yet had any binding incident.

Jim DE

I have never used it but I do own a spray bottle of Zeiss lens cleaning solution from Zeiss....... Don't know if that would make cleaning any better. I just use a high end microfiber cloth if I have to clean a lens or filter.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
After many years of struggling with keeping filters clean (and some polarizers are almost impossible to keep smear free), I ended up using Hoodman Lens Cleanse filter cleaning wipes.

Once you tried them you'll never bother with another filter cleaner again. They have rescued smeary filters that I was ready to toss into the trash. Absolutely outstanding for removing any bio residue such as finger grease or saliva (i.e. from blow & wipe situations) on glass. Highly recommended.

As regards filters, I swear by B+W XS-Pro MRC nano Kaesemann but they aren't inexpensive. Singh Ray I like too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have never used it but I do own a spray bottle of Zeiss lens cleaning solution from Zeiss....... Don't know if that would make cleaning any better. I just use a high end microfiber cloth if I have to clean a lens or filter.
Be careful with those Zeiss lens cleaner bottle, they do have a small amount of ammonia in it that would flake off your coating if you apply it excessively to the lens surface. That explains why they can remove oil smudge better than Purosol. But for those, ROR is the best.

FWIW, Purosol was developed to clean military optics and NASA telescopes.

Jim DE

Yeah I have never used the Zeiss lens cleaner spray bottle .... Picked it up one day out of a bargain bin at a local camera shop for a buck