The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I Just Assassinated My A7S!

V

Vivek

For this amount of money, they should allow better use of the storage by making RAW still images storable. It makes no sense that they are selling these for hybrid cameras.

skinnypix

Hi Chuck,

Glad you are enjoying your new Ninja.

Given Sony's class leading sensors, it's really a shame the don't offer 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 video out the HDMI port -- that & the Ninja Assassin would be a "killer" combination.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
For this amount of money, they should allow better use of the storage by making RAW still images storable. It makes no sense that they are selling these for hybrid cameras.
Well, I guess it is all a matter of perspective and needs. If 1080P is all you need, the internal recording option on the a7S does a decent job. If your after all you can get, another $1,300 for a full 4k capability that doesn't overheat after just a few mins is probably worth it.

When you add on how much better the use of a 7" monitor is for accurate live view, the various exposure monitors are for nailing the exposure, applying a LUT to see in advance what your final grade should look like, and recording to 10 bit 422 for color adjustments, the Ninja Assassin becomes a serious production tool if your doing a lot of video work. And I'm still under the cost of the a7S II.

Everyone needs to judge for themselves, based upon their own workflow, but for me I am quite a happy camper. Had I known it would be this helpful, I probably would have bought a Shogun long ago. Since I have no need for anything but the HDMI, waiting saved me $700.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hi Chuck,

Glad you are enjoying your new Ninja.

Given Sony's class leading sensors, it's really a shame the don't offer 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 video out the HDMI port -- that & the Ninja Assassin would be a "killer" combination.
It will be interesting to see what, if any, changes Sony makes with the new firmware updates we know are coming to implement the uncompressed RAW files. They also surely know users want to open up the HDMI to 10 bit at the same time, and want 4:2:2. You just never know, eh? Got my fingers crossed, for sure!

That said, recording the present output to the Ninja is superior to what the a7S records in camera when you render down the 4k Ninja Prores to a graded 1080P final output file. More latitude all the way around in fact for editing I am finding.

Besides, if they gave us 4:2:2 we all, myself included, would be wanting something more anyway :ROTFL: