The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IBIS on/off

Jim DE

I have shot Minolta/Sony in body stabilization systems since the KM7D. This new IBIS on the a7rII just doesn't give a guy a break if you accidentally leave it on on a tripod with a lens that also has OSS like the 16-35 FE. It got me good today for me being forgetful .... I know I won't forget to turn it off again :banghead:

Funny, you could get away with being stupid before .... not now! :(

k-hawinkler

I have shot Minolta/Sony in body stabilization systems since the KM7D. This new IBIS on the a7rII just doesn't give a guy a break if you accidentally leave it on on a tripod with a lens that also has OSS like the 16-35 FE. It got me good today for me being forgetful .... I know I won't forget to turn it off again :banghead:

Funny, you could get away with being stupid before .... not now! :(
Thanks for letting us know. Could you please show a comparison, 100% crop? TIA.

Knorp

Also for Olympus IBIS it is advised to switch it off when using a tripod.
Sorry Jim for your mishap, but I'm curious about what you found in your files.
Like K-H, I too hope you can share some samples.

TIA

Kind regards.

Jim DE

Guy's you don't need 100% crops they were a complete focus FUBAR. Looked like it was shot through the bottom of a dirty coke bottle..... I trashed the images when I saw them. There was no specific focus point detectable just a soft blur all over the image. Like someone shook the camera during the shot.

Never saw this with the other bodies but then again none of the others had in lens stabilization and in body at the same time. I am sure that was what it was....... sorry I don't have examples for you both.

One notable thing I remember.... on the shots that were focus nightmares I took the camera on tripod and picked it up and turned it 180 degrees from the previous shot and triggered off the IR remote then turned the whole assembly back for the next shot which usually came a bit later. These were oceanside sunrise shots at a inlet and the tripod was setup low. I would setup the sunrise shot take the shot then look back at the draw bridge ... when I saw the sun hitting it right I would turn the tripod around quickly set the shot and fire then turn back to the ocean. Maybe it was the still to rotated then fairly quick shot that was doing this as maybe the two stabilizations systems had not settled from the movement.... I don't know it is just a distinction I recall from my lost images. I am a user not a engineer but do look for distinctions when something goes wrong. You guys may know far more about this than I do.I just know I lost most every bridge shot and a few ocean ones.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Jim. Now you really make me curious enough to find out for myself.
Indeed the Sony help guide advises to switch off SteadyShot, i.e. IBIS, on a tripod, as it can lead to all kinds of malfunction (according to the help guide). However, the lens OSS is fully integrated with the camera's SteadyShot and should not be a cause for concern.

If IIRC, it also points out that IBIS doesn't work right after the camera is switched on, or if you fire the shutter without stopping briefly halfway down the shutter button motion.

Of course, for exposures longer than 1/1000 s one should use either the EFCS or the silent shutter. They behave very similar in that range. For exposures shorter than 1/1000 s one should use the mechanical shutter to avoid uneven exposures, according to Jim Kasson.

Jim DE

On the same thought I was using a IR remote shutter release as well. He seems no half shutter response....

Jim DE

Yeah I knew better but had never seen such a drastic focus before but then again I never has a OSS lens in use on a ibis body. I won't forget again

k-hawinkler

Can you map your Ibis on/off to any of the buttons?

Great idea. Though not necessary for the FE 90/2.8 MACRO OSS lens that has an On/Off switch. That switch also switches On and Off the Camera's SteadyShot which is Sony's name for IBIS.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Great idea. Though not necessary for the FE 90/2.8 MACRO OSS lens that has an On/Off switch. That switch also switches On and Off the Camera's SteadyShot which is Sony's name for IBIS.
Do you turn it off completely with the a7rII or just when its on a tripod?

Jim DE

Can you map your Ibis on/off to any of the buttons?
I am not near my camera but I am pretty sure you can as I have the ibis focal length assigned to a customizable button so I can use my various rangefinder lenses without diving into the menu on every lens change.

Logic would say to me that if I can assign the ibis focal length settings that on off can also be assigned. I'll check for sure when I get home.

jlm

Workshop Member
at what point does solid hand holding, like propped against a wall or post, become like a tripod in this regard?

k-hawinkler

I'm a little lost here. With a OSS lens is there a on//off setting in the menu for that alone.
Thanks Guy. That depends on the lens.

If the OSS lens - I have the FE 90/2.8 OSS - has an On/Off switch then the switch on the lens either enables or disables SteadyShot and OSS. In that case the menu On/Off option is greyed out and is non operative.

But, after the switch on the lens is set to On then one can change the SteadyShot setting in the menu from Auto to Manual and mess with the focal length setting that one wishes to set for that lens for use in SteadyShot. That's how I messed up the camera for taking the image of the Praying Mantis killing the Hummingbird. I'll not make that a habit though. In that case I was just curious what the camera would do. Oh, I did that hours before that unfortunste occurance and before my eyes were dilated for a routine exam. What I should have done is to put the camera back into a correctly working state before I put it down and went my other ways.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If I put a lens with a switch (70-200) on my A7rII and press the steady shot on/off (I have it on a custom button), I get the message: "Invalid with this lens. If the lens has a SteadyShot switch, perform the operation from the lens." If the lens does not have a switch on the lens (but has OSS or not), then I can turn it on or off by pressing the SteadyShot item.

I have not tested this myself, because I have turned SteadyShot off when I put my camera on a tripod, but I have read reports by others that the SteadyShot does not engage when you are on a tripod, so it does not matter if you turn it off or not. When hand-holding, it engages on the half-press. I'm not sure what happens when using an IR remote, because I have not tested that. I have used a Trigger-Trap always to trigger mine on the tripod and have had zero blurry photos. I do manual focus when I'm on the tripod.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I am not near my camera but I am pretty sure you can as I have the ibis focal length assigned to a customizable button so I can use my various rangefinder lenses without diving into the menu on every lens change.

Logic would say to me that if I can assign the ibis focal length settings that on off can also be assigned. I'll check for sure when I get home.

I have both the on/off Steady Shot and the Steady Shot focal length assigned to custom buttons. I use this all the time with Leica M and R lenses.

k-hawinkler

If I put a lens with a switch (70-200) on my A7rII and press the steady shot on/off (I have it on a custom button), I get the message: "Invalid with this lens. If the lens has a SteadyShot switch, perform the operation from the lens." If the lens does not have a switch on the lens (but has OSS or not), then I can turn it on or off by pressing the SteadyShot item.

I have not tested this myself, because I have turned SteadyShot off when I put my camera on a tripod, but I have read reports by others that the SteadyShot does not engage when you are on a tripod, so it does not matter if you turn it off or not. When hand-holding, it engages on the half-press. I'm not sure what happens when using an IR remote, because I have not tested that. I have used a Trigger-Trap always to trigger mine on the tripod and have had zero blurry photos. I do manual focus when I'm on the tripod.
Thanks. Interesting. With regards to your second paragraph, I have used SteadyShot freehand and on a tripod with an adapted Leica lens. In either case I saw a steady non-jerking image in the EVF when manually focusing the lens. I guess, I have to check this situation out more carefully.

- - - Updated - - -

I have both the on/off Steady Shot and the Steady Shot focal length assigned to custom buttons. I use this all the time with Leica M and R lenses.
Thanks. Which buttons did you assign to which functions? TIA.