The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss has been busy - new lenses for other cameras

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes looks like they pretty much replaced the old line , although only the 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are new designs. Better wide open which actually both of those lenses needed anyway was better 1.4 performance. I think it's great even for Sony owners as well as its just more lens choices we can use as we wait for certain focal lengths to come in either the Loxia or Batis lineup. All good IMHO. Myself I'm pretty much all set although we all want a new 135 for instance and some wides but still very good idea for Zeiss to update which looks like going forward new lens body designs. For Nikon , canon landscape shooters heck I would order the whole line up.

Personally I wish having the two Batis lenses , I would buy a whole lineup of them myself. Hope that will happen soon and I will just keep replacing lenses till I have the whole line but we get AF with Batis so a nice bonus.

Here is the beauty of owning Sony is they will make AF lenses , Nikon and Canon we will never see that because of licensing agreements so IMHO a advantage for owning Sony

dmward

Here is the beauty of owning Sony is they will make AF lenses , Nikon and Canon we will never see that because of licensing agreements so IMHO a advantage for owning Sony
Interesting.
Given Sigma, Tamron, etc. auto focus lenses for Canon and Nikon I wonder why Zeiss can't do it as well. What requires licensing? Is that some of the problem with the Metabones AF problems with Canon lenses on E mount adapter?

ddanois

I don't get it...Zeiss can't manufacture enough Batis lenses to meet demand but they announce a completely new lens line with estimated delivery dates of mid-October. WTF?

pegelli

I don't get it...Zeiss can't manufacture enough Batis lenses to meet demand but they announce a completely new lens line with estimated delivery dates of mid-October. WTF?
Low supply keeps prices up is the only explanation I can find

V

Vivek

Cosina has to expand production facilities.

All these Zeiss branded lenses (Otus, Batis, Mulvii, Loxii, etc) are all "Cozeina" lenses.

vjbelle

Yes...... it looks like the only two new lenses are the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. The two macro lenses are identical to the ones I own according to the mtf charts.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Interesting.
Given Sigma, Tamron, etc. auto focus lenses for Canon and Nikon I wonder why Zeiss can't do it as well. What requires licensing? Is that some of the problem with the Metabones AF problems with Canon lenses on E mount adapter?
Great question. Canon and Nikon will not let there licensing agreement with anyone but themselves. Sigma , tamron get no blessing from them either as well. Everything is reversed engineered and there is zero support for them from Nikon and Canon. It's a closed system. Nikon and Canon do not support or license there mount to anyone but themselves. The rest of players find ways to get around those license agreements and reverse engineered there product line. In a way it's a infringement but it's allowed. It's also outside this country which our laws are not in effect.

Guy Mancuso

Cosina has to expand production facilities.

All these Zeiss branded lenses (Otus, Batis, Mulvii, Loxii, etc) are all "Cozeina" lenses.
I read they are expanding there facilities as we speak. Why the Batis lenses are delayed

Annna T

Otus -> Otii

Batus -> Batii

Milvus -> ???
The lenses aren't named Batus, but Batis and as such should depends from the third declination and nominatif plural should be Bates.

Milvus could be Milva or Milvua if the gender is neutral or Milvii if the gender is masculine. Same for the Otus (I don't know the gender of these words though)

Annna T

CQFD : the Sony E-Mount is a niche market. They hope to be able to make more cash with Canikon mounts than with FE-mounts.

Eddie3dfx

I love the new zeiss lenses, but there is tremendous history to the sonnar, distagon, and planar series... these designs are around 100 year old and yet still are optically better than 95% of the designs that are created (minus coatings)

That being said, I still am drooling over a 25mm batis :bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes:

jpaulmoore

Speaking of Zeiss Batis 25mm. Any word when these might be available? I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago.
Regards,
J. Paul