Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    After turning the silent mode off in my A7s, I could access the PP settings ( http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1420/v...ture%20profile ).

Whoa! This is a whole different ball game! There are way too many parameters that can be selected to taste.

Q for K-H: Why did you go for PP7 when PP2 is recommended for stills?

Thanks Vivek. Very simple answer. I saw this method used for video and wanted to know what it does for stills. I am at the beginning of my learning curve and will now explore the other options. Let's continue to compare notes.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Might have to try this also. Looks interesting
    Thanks Guy. I wonder what version of this you eventually find useful for what scene, if any. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Vivek. Very simple answer. I saw this method used for video and wanted to know what it does for stills. I am at the beginning of my learning curve and will now explore the other options. Let's continue to compare notes.
    Will do.

[OT: I think this will take my UV captures to a totally new level (already with a hacked A7, it is still better than ever).
    Now to fund a set of A7rII cams... ]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I find both of these Help Guides very useful.

Sony Help Guide for Creators
    Help Guide for Creators | Top

Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera ILCE-7RM2
    Help Guide | Top
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Being totally new to Picture Profiles and Color Grading I don't think I got it quite right in post #43.
    From what I understand now one takes a jpg image with the Picture Profile baked in and then Color Grades that jpg to create a Cinematic Effect.
    Well, let me try again with a more fitting example, shot again with A7r2 and WATE and PP7.

OOC JPG

After Color Grading with C1.

Now the same process with the Lights switched off.

I don't think I could create the last two images above with using Creative Style. Picture Profile PP7 has definitely had an impact.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Being totally new to Picture Profiles and Color Grading I don't think I got it quite right in post #43.
    From what I understand now one takes a jpg image with the Picture Profile baked in and then Color Grades that jpg to create a Cinematic Effect.
    K-H, No need for jpg. You can use your RAW with all the camera settings and convert it to tiff using Sony IDC (no need for C1 either). After that, you can use the images as such or further tweak them. I wish I could have provided some samples but I have to look for a less sharp lens (than the 35/2.5 Summarit M) to do that without severe color moire.

BTW, this (in camera profile settings which are more sophisticated than those of any other camera makers, AFAIK) is not unlike the use of a Nikon cam and NX2 to process the files.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there K-H,

I'm puzzled now: in what way you think now that you didn't get it quite right ?

Well, let me try again with a more fitting example, shot again with A7r2 and WATE and PP7.
    This is the image derived with C1 from the .ARW file and pretty close to what my eyes saw on a beautiful fall day here in the "Land of Enchantment"!
    TIA

PS Still have to go out to try PP7 ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

Start with PP2.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with PP2.
    Start with reading:

Sony Help Guide for Creators
    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/redirect...n%2Findex.html
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

K-H, No need for jpg. You can use your RAW with all the camera settings and convert it to tiff using Sony IDC (no need for C1 either). After that, you can use the images as such or further tweak them. I wish I could have provided some samples but I have to look for a less sharp lens (than the 35/2.5 Summarit M) to do that without severe color moire.

BTW, this (in camera profile settings which are more sophisticated than those of any other camera makers, AFAIK) is not unlike the use of a Nikon cam and NX2 to process the files.

Thanks Vivek for the tip. IDC is broken on El Capitan, so can't try that out right now.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with PP2.
    Great, I did that right from the beginning ...

(PP2 = standard setting for still images when not using Picture Profile)
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there K-H,

TIA

Thanks Bart. I will try to answer that - after I have gotten some sleep.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great, I did that right from the beginning ...

(PP2 = standard setting for still images when not using Picture Profile)
    Bart, It looks like you have not looked at the PP settings. All the parameters can be changed as you like them. It would be good to read the link K-H posted but a lot of experimentation is needed to arrive at what may like.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bart, It looks like you have not looked at the PP settings. All the parameters can be changed as you like them. It would be good to read the link K-H posted but a lot of experimentation is needed to arrive at what may like.
    Hi Vivek,

I certainly will have a closer look at that document, but surely there must be some sort of difference between what can be achieved with the PP2 and PP7 parameters ?
    I thought K-H was on to something with PP7.
    Anyway, it has to wait till tomorrow: apparently he needs to take a nap now ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bart, The stunning example that K-H posted shows that any of these profiles (for stills) as a good starting point. His final image was dues to further processing.

BTW, in A7rII you have more than 7 profiles with endless possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bart, The stunning example that K-H posted shows that any of these profiles (for stills) as a good starting point. His final image was dues to further processing.

BTW, in A7rII you have more than 7 profiles with endless possibilities.
    I thought those profiles were for jpegs only and never pice them any attention. Do they also make a difference supposing you are shooting raws ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Vivek. I agree, I verified that one can use the .ARW file.
    So, I reactivated my 2009 17" MacBook Pro that is running Yosemite, installed IDC, loaded the .ARW file and without changing any parameters saved a .tif file to OUTPUT.
    Then on my late 2013 Mac Pro I opened the .tif file with C1 and saved a quarter size .jpg file. Again no other processing. Here is the image.

Extremely (though not exactly) similar to the OOC JPG image, I think it proves the point I am trying to make. Thanks again Vivek, that should settle this point for me anyway.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I thought those profiles were for jpegs only and never pice them any attention. Do they also make a difference supposing you are shooting raws ?
    Yes, indeed if you use IDC. Please, see my previous post.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there K-H,

TIA

Thanks Bart, the roles of OOC JPGs and raw files in this context weren't clear to me. As Vivek noted and I convinced myself in post #67 their roles should be clear now.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

When I shot the Living Room images in post #55 with Picture Profile PP7, I also took shots with the other profiles.
    PP0 simply means one uses the settings of Creative Style.
    PP1 through PP7 are just memory locations in which particular Picture Profile parameters are stored.
    They have default settings that can be modified, copied, or reset.

These are the default values of PP7:

Black Level 0
    Gamma S-Log2
    Black Gamma
    Knee
    Color Mode S-Gamut
    Saturation 0
    Color Phase 0
    Color Depth
    Detail
    Copy
    Reset

These parameters or commands have their own sub panels to be further specified or their values copied to another Picture Profile or reset to their default values.
    The default values of PP7, in particular contain Gamma S-Log2 and Color Mode S-Gamut.

In a paper by dpreview staff http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-7r-ii/8 we find, quote:

"Shooting ISO Invariant using S-Log 2

On most cameras it's difficult to take advantage of their ISO Invariant nature because the camera's meter considers you to be hugely under-exposing and, even if your camera will present a preview that isn't related to exposure, the files you shoot are likely to appear almost totally black, making it very difficult to assess exposure.

Sony's S-Log 2 gamma curve: primarily designed for movie shooting, it ends up doubling as a handy way of making it easier to make use of the sensor's capabilities. The ways it does this are two-fold:

firstly, because it offers an incredibly flat tone curve, the dark tones in the Raw file that you might want to make use of are pulled up and presented reasonably brightly.

Secondly, though, is the knock-on effect of this tone curve. Because ISO ratings are based on mid tones in JPEGs and the flat tone curve pulls its mid tones from a long way down the Raw file, the S-Log2 mode is considered to be a higher ISO than the normal tone curve. As a result, the lowest available ISO in S-Log2 mode is 800: not because the lower settings are being locked off but because an ISO 800 exposure is enough for a middle-grey object to be represented as a middle grey in the S-Log 2 JPEGs.

Looked at from a Raw perspective and what's happening is the camera is trying to use ISO 800 exposures but with much lower amplification than in standard mode, meaning highlights aren't being amplified out of the file. (If shot with the same exposure values, the ISO 800 Raw files from S-Log2 shooting appear to be somewhere between the ISO 125 and ISO 160 results in standard mode).

As a result, shooting in SLog-2 mode not only provides a more usable preview and output JPEG, it also essentially causes the camera to reduce exposure by 2.5EV to protect highlights.
    "

So, according to the last quoted sentence SLog2 also essentially causes the camera to reduce exposure by 2.5EV to protect highlights. There you have it.
    Because of the properties of PP7 listed above under firstly and secondly, I thought it worth exploring. The result is displayed in the images in post #55.

The next question on my mind was, how do those images shot with PP7 compare with images shot with PP0, i.e. using Creative Style parameters. I chose Standard with close to default settings.
    I then used C1 to process the resulting .ARW files and tried to make them appear as close as possible to the images that were shot with PP7.

Here are my results for the images shot with PP0, i.e. Standard Creative Style.

A7r2 + WATE + PP0 = Creative Style: Standard

As expected, here the outside window area is brighter as compared to the images shot with PP7 if one keeps the room itself appear with similar brightness.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7r2 + WATE + PP0 = Creative Style: Standard

As expected, here the outside window area is brighter as compared to the images shot with PP7 if one keeps the room itself appear with similar brightness.
    Hi K-H,

sorry but all I can see is a slight colour balance difference due to the fact that the lamps are switched on in the first image.
    My own brief test this weekend with PP off (PP2) and PP7 and processed in C1 showed no noticeable difference, perhaps I need another monitor ?

Oh well, as suggested by Vivek I'll better stick to PP2 (PP off) ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bart, on my A7r2 PP0 is Off, PP2 is something else, no?
    When using PP0 I can change Creative Style settings, in PP2 my A7r2 won't let me do that.

Also, did you compare the last two images in post #55 with those in post #70?
    Each post has an image with lamps on and off.
    The images in post #55 were shot with PP7.
    The images in post #70 were shot with PP0.

An easy way to see the differences is to download the jpegs and compare with Preview or PS I find.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The last Hummingbirds left about 2 weeks ago for their winter quarters.
    Here the Mantis seems more preying than praying.

Sony A7r2 + Leica APO-Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, I am keeping my D800E as well, same sensor as A7r!

Hunter and Hunted

D800E + 80-400/4.5-5.6 AF-S @ 400 mm, f/5.6, ISO 2500, 1/2000 s.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mantis disappointed while the Hummer finally gets to dip its beak!

A7r + FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bart, on my A7r2 PP0 is Off, PP2 is something else, no?
    When using PP0 I can change Creative Style settings, in PP2 my A7r2 won't let me do that.

Also, did you compare the last two images in post #55 with those in post #70?
    Each post has an image with lamps on and off.
    The images in post #55 were shot with PP7.
    The images in post #70 were shot with PP0.

An easy way to see the differences is to download the jpegs and compare with Preview or PS I find.
    This paper may help to better understand the S-Log2 function, it has been written for the A7s but as far as I understand the only difference with the A7RM2 is the native base ISO (3200 vs 800).
    http://www.xdcam-user.com/2014/08/ex...-and-exposure/
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    This paper may help to better understand the S-Log2 function, it has been written for the A7s but as far as I understand the only difference with the A7RM2 is the native base ISO (3200 vs 800).
    http://www.xdcam-user.com/2014/08/ex...-and-exposure/
    Many thanks Ario for the above link with the title: "Exposing and Using S-Log2 on the Sony A7s. Part One: Gamma and Exposure."
    Question: Did he ever publish Part Two? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

May be with the A7sII, part 2 will be coming?

K-H, Lovely shots. I find it intriguing that a zoom plus a clunker (D800E) and the A7rII plus 90 macro provide similar image quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Ario for the above link with the title: "Exposing and Using S-Log2 on the Sony A7s. Part One: Gamma and Exposure."
    Question: Did he ever publish Part Two? TIA.
    I hav'nt found any part two
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

May be with the A7sII, part 2 will be coming?

K-H, Lovely shots. I find it intriguing that a zoom plus a clunker (D800E) and the A7rII plus 90 macro provide similar image quality.
    Thanks Vivek. Interesting isn't it.
    The last 3 images were actually shot with three different cameras and lenses, namely:

Sony A7r2 + Leica APO-Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH.
    Nikon D800E + Nikkor 80-400/4.5-5.6 AF-S
    Sony A7r + Sony FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS

The images seem to go well together, but I would give the Sony A7r2 + Leica AA 75/2 the edge though.
    Here is the un-cropped image taken with that combination.

Sony A7r2 + Leica AA 75/2
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some other flight acrobatics by the obviously stressed out Hummingbirds.
    Apparently they can't believe the danger they are in, so have to have a real good look at the Mantis.

With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

D800E + 80-400/4.5-5.6 AF-S
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The victim approaches ...

A7r2 + FE 90/2.8 MACRO G OSS
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... is snatched in mid air and devoured within a few minutes.

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

After, even such a small meal as a bee, it's time to clean up. However, there is still a piece of the bee on the back of her head.

Another view of the front part of her arms shows they also function as legs with feet.

Last edited by k-hawinkler; 13th October 2015 at 17:46.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark-eyed Junco

Sony A7r2 + Leica APO-Telyt-R 280/4 + APO-Extender-R 2x, shot WO - so f/8 - on Induro Tripod AT-413 with Gimbal Head GHB2.
    IBIS was ON, set to 300 mm. I forgot to turn it OFF or to select 500 or 600 mm. There is no 560 mm to select.

Please not the very shallow DoF, visible on the board the bird sits on. The Junco's eyes are in focus but not its beak.
    I had not shot these kinds of shots for awhile and sort of forgotten how good the 280/4 really is, even with an 2x extender.
    My take, I should no longer be tempted to get an older manual focus only 500 or 600 mm lens from Canon or Nikon.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7r2 + Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning Sun

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed this thread K-H. You lost me on the technical stuff, but the images speak for themselves. I miss my 280/4 when seeing yours, but for now am pleased I kept my APO 180/2.8 and often use it with the 2x for landscape only and rarely for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fall Colors

With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7r2 + Minolta 24-35/3.5
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon Rush Hour

A7r2 + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A7r2 + FE 90/2.8
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Late Afternoon Sun on the Tyuonyi Overlook Trail at Bandelier National Monument

Sony A7r2 + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

We have heard migrating Sandhill Cranes overhead for at least a week.
    They are flying very high, but I finally managed to get a shot of them.

A7r2 + APO-Telyt-R 180/3.4, image uncropped.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Frijoles Canyon of Bandelier National Monument

The Tyuonyi Overlook Trail ends middle right on top of the mesa, giving a nice overview from the opposing side.
    The Frey Trail begins adjacent to the Tyuonyi Overlook Trail near the Juniper Campground.
    However, one can walk that trail all the way to the Canyon bottom.
    The trail descends pretty steeply in the dark area of the image, center right.
    The sole access road, bottom left, leads to the Visitor Center, nestled among the trees.

From this Overlook Point I heard and saw yesterday a large number of Sandhill Cranes flying in formation way above Bandelier at the cloud level from right to left.
    Another two to three hours of flying for them and they will arrive at the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge

About Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, New Mexico

Sony A7r2 + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am getting ready to compare some lenses on A7r2 and A7r2m, modified by Kolari, in collaboration with hiepphotog.

This example is shot WO with A7r2 + WATE @ 16 mm, processed with C1 and displayed at quarter size.

Full resolution images can be found here:

f/4.0 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/5.6 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/8.0 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/11. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/16. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/22. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg

BTW, Sandia Peak near Albuquerque is in the center of the image, the San Miguel Mtns further to the right.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for posting! When I use 16mm I shoot mostly at f11, at which point a bit of diffraction must have set in; but it allows for reasonably sharp foreground corners and "100%" DOF. Maybe I could back off to f8, with such short focal length.

Kirk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Thx for posting! When I use 16mm I shoot mostly at f11, at which point a bit of diffraction must have set in; but it allows for reasonably sharp foreground corners and "100%" DOF. Maybe I could back off to f8, with such short focal length.

Kirk
    Thanks Kirk.
    To my aging eyes it looks like this for 16 mm.

The major stepup in sharpness is from f/4 to f/5.6.
    I use f/5.6 a lot if I need a fairly fast shutter speed.
    The lens' performance seems to peak at f/8.
    That's what I use if neither fast shutter speed nor large DOF is important.
    At f/11 diffraction seems to have already set in, ever so slightly.
    At f/16 a bit more.
    But depending on how much DOF one needs, I use both those apertures.
    At f/22 sharpness has fallen off a cliff, so I never use that - except for testing!

BTW, having lived in Berkeley I enjoy your B&W images.
    Some of those places look familiar.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting ready to compare some lenses on A7r2 and A7r2m, modified by Kolari, in collaboration with hiepphotog.

This example is shot WO with A7r2 + WATE @ 16 mm, processed with C1 and displayed at quarter size.

Full resolution images can be found here:

f/4.0 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/5.6 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/8.0 https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/11. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/16. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg
    f/22. https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pic...4_0.8_Full.jpg

BTW, Sandia Peak near Albuquerque is in the center of the image, the San Miguel Mtns further to the right.
    I have to admit I'm pretty excited to meet another GetDPI-er, for camera/lens testing no less . A day trip for me but it would be totally worth it.

And thank you for posting the full-res of all apertures here. Diagonal test like this is very revealing, IMO. It does show the wavy field curvature nature of the WATE at large aperture. Looking forward to next weekend.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post