The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

scho

Hi, I appreciate your experience and opinions concerning the A7R2.

But now I would like to ask the forum, if anyone of you has experience,
using the Hasselblad / Zeiss CF-Lenses attached to the A7R2.

I would use my Novoflex E-Lens adapter.

Thank you for your reply.

Rudiger
I have used the CF 40, 80, and 120 on the A7R and A7RII on a tripod with the Cambo Actus (provides shift/tilt capability) and they are fine. I tried using them also via adapter directly to the camera, but the lenses are too large and heavy for handheld use.

algrove

Hi K H,

You are welcome. You have some great R lenses. I remembered Leica saying in the 90's that some of the R lenses were the best they could manufacture during that time. The Holy Grail of the R lenses is the 35-70 Vario-Elmarit f2.8. Apparently, Leica lost money for every 35-70 VE f2.8 lens they sold! Unfortunately, collectors have pushed the price to beyond belief. I nearly bought the 70-180 mm Apo-Elmarit. But at just over 4 lbs, it was a beast to carry. The performance of this lens from 70-110mm is equal to the 90m AA or the 100 Apo-Macro Elmarit. The 3 R lenses that I used when travelling are the 19mm Elmarit R v2, 35-70 VE f4.0 and 180mm Apo-Elmarit. Since my DMR days, I have used the A850, M240, A7R and now the A7R M2 with my R lenses. For my travel photography, the A7R M2 is my R solution!
So do I assume the R 19 works well on the A7R2 with no corner issues?

nsng

So do I assume the R 19 works well on the A7R2 with no corner issues?
No corner issue with both A7R and A7R2. Here is an example with the A7R,

Ethiopian women at the village water pump. Even though I have the WATE, but at times I prefer to use the 19mm as the rendering is very attractive.

k-hawinkler

I was trying out the Summilux-R 80/1.4, that arrived today, on the A7r2 when cranes were overhead.
These images are a 3280x3280 crop from the original size of 7952x5304, then reduced to 1988x1988.

Here they come.

Beginning to circle in a thermal to gain height.

After having gained height, ready to move onto the next leg of their migration route.

Sony A7r2 + Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4, processed in C1, followed by Auto Contrast in CS6 to make the cranes better visible in the images.

Unfortunately that also overexposes a few spots in the images. Oh well. The .ARW files themselves were not overexposed.
Here is an un-cropped, un-auto-contrasted, only-reduced-in-size version of the middle image above.

Obviously using an APO-Telyt-R 180/3.4 would have better filled out the frame with the Sandhill cranes.

k-hawinkler

K-H, what a formation you captured there!
Thank you Dave.

The cranes are coming in waves, depending on the thermals and wind conditions, for about a month almost every day.
They fly extremely high, one can often hear them but it's difficult to see them.
Their route also varies. It's between the Rio Grande river and the Jemez mountains, about 10 miles apart at my place.
The best chance to take a picture of them is when they are fairly low and begin circling in a thermal.
Typically on their migration south they pass my location mid to late afternoon.
Then they have another 2 to 3 hours to fly until they reach their winter quarters. :grin:

xdayv

Thank you Dave.

The cranes are coming in waves, depending on the thermals and wind conditions, for about a month almost every day.
They fly extremely high, one can often hear them but it's difficult to see them.
Their route also varies. It's between the Rio Grande river and the Jemez mountains, about 10 miles apart at my place.
The best chance to take a picture of them is when they are fairly low and begin circling in a thermal.
Typically on their migration south they pass my location mid to late afternoon.
Then they have another 2 to 3 hours to fly until they reach their winter quarters. :grin:
You must live in a beautiful place. :eek:

k-hawinkler

A couple more shots with the Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4 on the Sony A7r2.
This scene looked interesting as it had so many light sources and reflections..

I set exposure time to 1/30 s, Auto ISO with max of 800, and aperture likely at f/5.6 or f/8.
So, taking advantage of the ISOless Sony sensor the image was underexposed by about 2 stops.

Similarly this image, showing the exodus after regular working hours. :grin:

k-hawinkler

Another formation of Sandhill cranes today, but a bit lower than usual. I brightened the sky a tad to let the cranes stand out better.

Sony A7r2 + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4

k-hawinkler

The View from the Tyuonyi Overlook Trail at Bandelier National Monument.

Sony A7r2 + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4

The Frey Trail is visible in the lower left quadrant.
It goes from the Frijoles Canyon floor to the Juniper Campground on top of the mesa, where also the Tyuonyi Overlook Trail begins.
The Frey Trail was the main access route to the Frijoles Canyon before the access road was built, visible in the upper center.
The Visitor Center with its parking lot is nestled among the trees in the center.
In the upper right the Frijoles Canyon and its creek meet the Rio Grande and its Canyon.
The Tyuonyi ruins are visible in the lower center.

A full size image is here: https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pi...Vario/i-2Qw4P83/0/O/_DSC6413_C1_7952x5304.jpg

Last edited: