The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Now let me introduce you to Choppy. Images of Choppy are posted here by Guy Mancuso.

Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review - FM Forums p.19 #8 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review
Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review - FM Forums p.19 #9 · Voigtlander 15/4.5 III E-mount Rolling review

With a Dremel Guy Mancuso removed the petals of this Voigtländer 15/4.5 III VM-mount lens.
He also demonstrated the excellent corner performance of this lens, now referred to as Choppy.
Fred Miranda confirmed Guy's results.

As my own Voigtländer 15/4.5 III E-mount lens is a lemon, I thought it a good idea to get Choppy and use on my A7r2 with the TechArt Pro LM-EA7 adapter.
Here is first shot, confirming the superb corner performance of Choppy aside from some CA that needs to be dealt with in post.

50% resolution image: https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pi...C5834_Choppy_Test_C1P_7952x5304_3976x2652.jpg
100% resolution image: https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pi...fx/1/O/_DSC5834_Choppy_Test_C1P_7952x5304.jpg

Here is another AF shot with Choppy on A7r2 and LM-EA7 adapter.

The clouds in the sky are a bit overexposed - sorry about that! :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

Another shot with Choppy.

Thanks to Guy I will have a lot of fun with this lens! Thank you Guy indeed! :thumbs: :clap: :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

The Sony 28-135mm FE PZ F4 G OSS Full-frame E-mount Power Zoom Lens first showed up as a kit lens of the Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM Super 35 Camera System, its sensor size comparable to APS-C. According to the Operating Instructions of that FE lens, the focal length is 28-135mm, the equivalent 35mm-format focal length for FOV is 42-202.5mm for APS-C or Super 35 formats. For still images on my A7r2 the focal length is indeed 28-135mm for FF and APS-C. Of course, whereas the the FF FOV corresponds to 28-135mm, the APS-C FOV corresponds to 42-202.5mm. My A7r2 has Firmware Ver. 3.20, my lens Ver. 01. So far, so good.

For 4K video the story gets even better. One can zoom from 28-135mm. However, when one has reached 135mm, a magnification factor appears that goes all the way to 4. So, one seems to arrive at these 135 film equivalent focal lengths for the FOV.

• FF: 28, 135, 270, 405, 540mm equivalent FOV
• APS-C: 42, 202.5, 405, 607.5, 810mm equivalent FOV

To verify the FF case, I did a slow video zoom, starting from 28mm and briefly stopped the zoom at 135mm * n, n=1,2,3,4.
Here is the 1080p video https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-05-13-A7r228-1354-PZ-G/i-LF4dMZZ derived from the original 4K MP4.
I then generated images from the stopped points, applied auto contrast, and reduced for size. Here they are.

28mm equivalent FOV

135mm equivalent FOV

270mm equivalent FOV

405mm equivalent FOV

540mm equivalent FOV

The Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod has an easily removable video remote controller that I used.

BTW, in the menu on panel 2, #3, Zoom Setting: Optical zoom only is greyed out because I use RAW. Interesting.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

The TechArt Pro LM-EA7 adapter takes advantage of camera functionality to achieve the focusing.
But it also disables functionality one would like to keep. An example would be to manually focus, should the adapter fail to focus.
Luckily there is a workaround for that. It also pays to setup the camera buttons in order to minimize use of the menu system.

So, here is my current A7r2 setup. Thanks to many forum members for their advice!

A7r2 menu 1/3/Focus Mode: Preference of AF-C with AF-S, MF as fall back. Center point focusing seems to work best (assuming good light and contrasty subject).
A7r2 menu 1/3/Focus Area: when possible use Flexible Spot, L > M > S. Reason, L has more PDAF points.

A7r2 menu 2/3/Phase Detect Area: On
A7r2 menu 2/5/AF w/shutter: On.
A7r2 menu 2/5/AEL w/shutter: Off. Reason, so one can focus wide open, then stop down, while half pressing the shutter button.
A7r2 menu 2/7/AF System: Phase Detection AF.

A7r2 menu 2/7/Custom Key Settings:

Control wheel.....: Not set (default?)
Custom Button 1: C1: White Balance (default?)
Custom Button 2: C2: Focus Magnifier
Custom Button 3: C3: SteadyS. Focal Len. (no need to go into the menu for changing the Focal Length)
Custom Button 4: C4: In-Camera Guide (very useful when in menu)
Center Button: Eye AF (default?)

Left Button: LB: Drive Mode (default?)
Right Button: RB: ISO (default?)
Down Button: DB: SteadyShot On or Off (so that with C3 and DB one can control IBIS)
AEL Button: AEL toggle
AF/MF Button: AF/MF Ctrl Toggle (with the LM-EA7 adapter this is a way to get to MF with focus peaking)
Focus Hold Button: Eye AF (very useful for lenses that have that button, e.g the FE 90/2.8 MACRO G for portrait shots)

A7r2 menu 6/3/Remote Ctrl: On (probably needed when lens is firmly attached to a tripod and the LM-EA7 adapter has to move the camera)
I use both an Infrared Remote Controller and the Video Remote Controller (of the Sony VCT-VPR1 Compact Remote Control Tripod) that attaches to the camera's USB port.

Your feedback and suggestions for improvements are most welcome. TIA.

k-hawinkler

Lesser Goldfinch

We have distributed on our yard a number of water dishes that get frequented by insects, birds, and mammals.
I have been using my A7r/2 and E-M1/5/5.2 camera systems to document their visits with still images and videos.

Here is a setup I like to use occasionally:

Tripod Setup: Sony A7r2 + TechART PRO LM-EA7 autofocus adapter + Novoflex LEM/LER adapter + Leica APO-Extender-R 2x + APO-Telyt-R 280/4
Handheld Setup: Olympus E-M1 + MC-14 + 300/4 PRO

On page https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Subjects/Lesser-Goldfinch-videos/i-rxvT8QN there is a still image and a video.
The video was shot with my tripod setup above and is best accessed by using the link above.
The following still image of a Lesser Goldfinch was shot with my handheld setup above.

k-hawinkler

Female Finches, Cassin's Kingbird and Western Tanager

In order of appearance in the video https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Subjects/Female-House-Finches-Cassins/i-r9WmnHC
we have Female Finches, Cassin's Kingbird and a Western Tanager, that ends in a slight disagreement between the latter two, as shown in this last frame taken from the video.

Sony A7r + NOVOFLEX NEX/LER + Leica APO-R 2x + APO-R 280/4

Unfortunately at this point either the battery ran empty or the video reached its limit. :facesmack: :banghead: :shocked: :LOL:

k-hawinkler

This evening I had some fun with this configuration: A7r2 + TechArt PRO LM-EA7 adapter + Nikon-LM adapter + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2.
The following images were shot at f/4 or f/5.6 handheld.

These red flowers simply show up again each year.

Next a Clematis. I have no idea what the reddish-brown thing is. :facesmack:

Our home.

Zeroing in on the bush with the tiny white blossoms.

A bit more.

And a bit more there seems to be a tiny Cricket or Grasshopper. Focusing first with the lens mechanism and then with the TechArt adapter one creates basically a macro lens. :thumbup:

Here a shot of a Canyon Towhee leaving the water dish.

And last but not least the beautiful evening light illuminating our backyard. No doubt I am in the Land of Enchantment! :clap:

k-hawinkler

Sony A7r2 + TechArt Pro autofocus adapter LM-EA7 + Leica Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8 - a Mandler designed lens. :shocked:

iiiNelson

After using the A7RII for about 2 or 3 weeks now I have to say that it's a better camera in overall responsiveness but I actually prefer the ergonomics of the original better. This is due to a number of reasons below. Again the A7RII is a better camera but these are my main frustrations after a couple of weeks with it after being very used to the original bodies for the last 2.5 years.

• The first being that while the camera is physically larger the grip area doesn't seem like it has as much room for those of us with larger hands. The vertical grip is a MUST IMO of your hands are as large as mine for a secure and comfortable grip due to the new shutter placement.
  • Next the front shutter/aperture dial in front of the shutter is at a weird tilted angle and doesn't have as much tactile feedback as the old scroll wheels IMO.
  • The last gripe is minor but when tethering the door cover that allows access to the port is flimsy plastic. A metal hinged door would be a much better option to limit the stress that a tether cable puts on that door that never gets fully out of the way.

k-hawinkler

After using the A7RII for about 2 or 3 weeks now I have to say that it's a better camera in overall responsiveness but I actually prefer the ergonomics of the original better. This is due to a number of reasons below. Again the A7RII is a better camera but these are my main frustrations after a couple of weeks with it after being very used to the original bodies for the last 2.5 years.

• The first being that while the camera is physically larger the grip area doesn't seem like it has as much room for those of us with larger hands. The vertical grip is a MUST IMO of your hands are as large as mine for a secure and comfortable grip due to the new shutter placement.
  • Next the front shutter/aperture dial in front of the shutter is at a weird tilted angle and doesn't have as much tactile feedback as the old scroll wheels IMO.
  • The last gripe is minor but when tethering the door cover that allows access to the port is flimsy plastic. A metal hinged door would be a much better option to limit the stress that a tether cable puts on that door that never gets fully out of the way.
Thanks Tre.

• My hands are smaller than yours and I have had no problems with the grip area since last fall. I have added the additional battery grip to my A7r2 a couple weeks ago and it feels fine.

• The problem with the front dial of the A7r2 is that it's difficult for my finger to distinguish it from the shutter. I have no such problem with the A7r.

• The door cover hasn't caused any problems so far for me.

I use a Peak Design hand clutch to hold the cameras.
It's perfect for the A7r2 as the shutter button is placed forward and the hand clutch doesn't interfere with the shutter placement. Unfortunately not so for the A7r as the shutter button is placed right next to the attachment point for the hand clutch.

k-hawinkler

First frame of a video, showing a Wasp driving off a Hummingbird of a feeder.
Recorded @ 120 FPS • Played back @ 24 FPS • x5 Slow Motion Video

And here is the video: [video]https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-06-12-a630028-13540-PZ-G/i-qdW6NBq/0/1920/C0022_Wasp_driving%20off%20Hummingbird_short-1920.mp4[/video]

Sony a6300 + 28-135/4.0 PZ G OSS FE. The A7r2 does great 4K videos but the a6300 is better at 120 FPS slow motion videos. Those cannot be shot in 4K on either camera. They can be shot in 1080p though.

V

Vivek

Very nice video! :)

I am not sure I want a warped star burst in my frame. Thanks for showing. Any lust i had for that lens is gone. Will wait for version III of that.