The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Very nice video! :)

I am not sure I want a warped star burst in my frame. Thanks for showing. Any lust i had for that lens is gone. Will wait for version III of that.

Thanks Vivek for the feedback. Much appreciated. I am glad that picture saved you some money. :grin:
Here is a version in which the pincushion distortion is well corrected, at least to my eyes.
But one loses a lot of image area. :banghead:

I must say though I like the funky version better. :thumbup: :LOL:

V

Vivek

The pincushion distortion reminds me of some fisheye lenses (there was a Berolina 12mm fisheye in T mount from yesteryears). I did not expect that with the so called rectilinear 10mm, K-H. Flare appears well controlled though.:)

k-hawinkler

The pincushion distortion reminds me of some fisheye lenses (there was a Berolina 12mm fisheye in T mount from yesteryears). I did not expect that with the so called rectilinear 10mm, K-H. Flare appears well controlled though.:)
Thanks for the info Vivek.
The pincushion distortion indeed seems to be a bit much.
Flare resistance seems very good but not perfect.

I am slowly getting a feel for this lens and how best to use it.
It's a fun lens though.
I should take it to Santa Fe or Albuquerque.
And see how it does for a cityscape.

Thanks again.

k-hawinkler

Well, I added an a6300 and an FE 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS lens to my gear. Here are some early morning images. :grin:

And in the opposite direction the setting Moon.

k-hawinkler

Early morning visit to Bandelier National Monument. It's closed from Dusk (8 PM) to Dawn (6 AM). Images taken with A6300 and FE 70-300/4.5-5.6 G OSS lens.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

k-hawinkler

View from Ranchos de Taos of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains directly East of Taos, NM

A7r2 + Voigtländer 10/5.6. heavily cropped :facesmack:

k-hawinkler

KenRockwell states about the AF Nikkor 28/1.4 D http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2814af.htm, quote:

"The Nikon 28mm f/1.4 is an absolutely extraordinary lens. It is as sharp at f/1.4 as it is at other apertures. This baby loves to be shot at f/1.4 without having to make any excuses for quality."

Further down he states:

"Sharpness

The 28mm f/1.4 is sharp at every aperture, even at f/1.4 in the corners.

This is unique among Nikkor wide angle lenses. The aspheric element gives it freedom from the coma (lateral spherical aberration) that plagues all other Nikon wide and fast normal lenses. In other words, shot at f/1.4, points of light in the corners still stay as reasonably small points of light, not the big batwing blobs that one gets at full aperture with other wide and normal Nikkors. You can see how well controlled this if by looking at this worst case photo made at f/1.4, hand held at 1/8 of a second. Yes, you can see a little coma in the lower right, but it's far better than any other Nikkor at f/1.4.

The only lack of perfection in sharpness is that in the very far corners of film, only in the last two millimeters of the image, it is soft at most larger apertures. Thus the circle of good definition is 40mm and the circle of good illumination is at least 43mm. This is fine; you really have to go out of your way to find a subject that requires sharpness at f/1.4 in the last mm of the corner. The sharpness just inside this 40mm circle is very, very sharp even at f/1.4 which is better than any other lens I've used at the larger apertures.

On digital it's sharp all over."

It also has a Close Focus of 1.15' or 0.35m.
However, when using the TechArt Pro (TAP) adapter on an A7r2 one can get a lot closer.
So, I had a closer look at my copy of that lens to see whether it lives up to the lofty standard set by K.R.'s lens.
I displayed K.R.'s opening chapter on my 4K screen and took closeup shots.
Image quality seems best at f/1.4 and f/8. At f/16 all fine detail is smeared out, pretty much unusable IMHO.
I shot with A7r2 and the TAP adapter, using AF-C and AF-S with Flexible Spot: S, got similar results.

Shot at f/1.4 (Sorry for the Smudge on the Screen :banghead:)

Shot at f/8

Focus was at the a in apertures.
Considering the lens followed the Noct-Nikkor development some time ago http://www.nikkor.com/story/0028/ we probably shouldn't be surprised by what we find.

• Both images appear to be sharp at the focus point.
• For f/1.4 there is considerable vignetting and loss of sharpness towards the corners,
• Even for f/8 there is still some loss of sharpness in the corners.
• There appears to be a bit of focus breathing when stopping down.

Full resolution images are here.

https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-09-11-A7r22814-D-AF/i-7w9cKzQ/O
https://winklers.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2016-09-11-A7r22814-D-AF/i-Z88Pfrb/O

Following are images shot with the 28/1.4 lens.

Bugleone

K-H,.....

....Whether or not you are 'keeping both' this whole topic has become a nice testimony to your work and the place where you live. Sitting here in the Old World with the grey rain slanting down your pics are very atmospheric and seductive of a place that I will never see but which looks so exotic to English eyes.......

k-hawinkler

K-H,.....

....Whether or not you are 'keeping both' this whole topic has become a nice testimony to your work and the place where you live. Sitting here in the Old World with the grey rain slanting down your pics are very atmospheric and seductive of a place that I will never see but which looks so exotic to English eyes.......
Thank you so much Bugleone, much appreciated. :)
New Mexico is truly the "Land of Enchantment".

Here are a few more images from today, taken with A7r2 and Batis 25/2 FE. :thumbup:

Smoke from a pretty small forest fire in the Jemez Mtns.

k-hawinkler

From http://www.lamonitor.com/content/fatality-bandelier-national-monument:

"Fatality at Bandelier National Monument
Monday, October 3, 2016 at 8:42 pm (Updated: October 4, 2:48 pm)

A spokesman for Bandelier National Monument said officials plan to release the name Wednesday of the identity of a woman who died Monday at the park.
A female park visitor died in Bandelier National Monument after being struck by a falling tree. Park rangers were notified of the incident at approximately 2:30 pm. Park rangers, the Los Alamos County Fire Department and the Los Alamos County Police Department responded to the incident.
The medical examiner and law enforcement have not completed the investigation at the time of this release. Park officials said the victim was an adult and that they will be releasing more information later Tuesday or early Wednesday morning.
"Out of respect for the family, we are making sure that the next of kin is properly notified," said Acting Superintendent Jeremy Sweat.
Sweat told the Los Alamos Monitor Tuesday afternoon they are contuing to work with the woman's family and officials would release details Wednesday."

I better stay clear of the many dead trees in Bandelier!
:facesmack:

Sony A7r2 +TECHART LM-EA7 + Leica 50f2.8 Elmar-M