The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Uncompressed 14bit RAW

Viramati

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/s...it-raw-still-image-capture-for-new---cameras/

Only for A7rII and A7sII. That is good news!

What about the others?
As you can see from the quote from the article it says 'beginning with' so I presume firmware updates should follow for the older models.
Additionally, they have announced plans to add user selectable compressed or uncompressed 14-Bit RAW still image capture via firmware update to additional cameras beginning with the recently introduced α7R II full-frame mirrorless model.

V

Vivek

I hope it will be available for the others (older models with E mount) as well. I would have liked that spelled out.

The original NEX-5N onwards, I use many cams. Not just FF NEX cams.

Annna T

I hope it will be available for the others (older models with E mount) as well. I would have liked that spelled out.

The original NEX-5N onwards, I use many cams. Not just FF NEX cams.
Dreaming ? May be that they will keep it for FF bodies only.

At least I hope that the A7r will get it, since I don't plan to buy the A7rII for the moment. (I love the smaller body).

But that is a great new already.

k-hawinkler

Hi Anna T,

Sony seems to be delivering on this count as well.

After having used the A7r2 a lot, indeed, the A7r feels small in my hands.
Amazing, what a difference of a few mm makes.

IMHO the A7r2 has a more refined user interface though. I like it.

V

Vivek

Dreaming ? May be that they will keep it for FF bodies only.

At least I hope that the A7r will get it, since I don't plan to buy the A7rII for the moment. (I love the smaller body).

But that is a great new already.
I expect the A6000 successor to have it in already.

(It would be superb if they would offer FW updates for the older models.)

k-hawinkler

I expect the A6000 successor to have it in already.

(It would be superb if they would offer FW updates for the older models.)
Thanks Vivek. I agree, starting with the NEX-5N.
That's a really nice little cam I still like using.
I prefer it relative to the NEX-7.

Slingers

I think it's a good move by Sony But I would be surprised if Sony extends it to cameras that either don't have the new menu or didn't start with ARW 2.3.1

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It could be a processing issue for other cams that may not have the horsepower and would downgrade there specs. People will bitch on this one but I'm fine with it. I'm all new cams anyway

I'm talking buffer and things of this nature

V

Vivek

It could be a processing issue for other cams that may not have the horsepower and would downgrade there specs. People will bitch on this one but I'm fine with it. I'm all new cams anyway

I'm talking buffer and things of this nature
That may very well be (processing power) but I hope Sony takes Sony user complaints more seriously than the general "bitchin' " . :LOL:

Guy Mancuso

That may very well be (processing power) but I hope Sony takes Sony user complaints more seriously than the general "bitchin' " . :LOL:

Me too. I'm sure once the As hits the market we will see a trickle down effect. All good news. Maybe Sony will start thinking a little more photographer than engineer going forward.

Stefan Steib

Great news, really happy about this. When?
The article says October - together with the launch of the A7SII which will have it from the start.
So I would understand there will be a firmware upgrade for the A7RII also in October.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Stefan Steib

One thing: most likely the arw files will be significantly larger, the writing speed will go down and probably no more full 5 images/sec and also the buffer numbers will be smaller.
Actually not an issue, because the landscape and studio people will not be affected by this.

Lucille

Great news! Finally rid of that weak link that trolls get to go on and on about! But very silly of Sony not to provide it from the start on a camera clearly positioned at the pro market.

I am glad Sony is finally listening, but as you say, one has to wonder why Sony didn't do this right from the start.

Stefan Steib

I am glad Sony is finally listening, but as you say, one has to wonder why Sony didn't do this right from the start.
I think Sony is a bit in the position that Canon fell into when they launched Video with the 5DMK2.
the success in the pro Market is NOT what I think they are aiming to primarily.
Sony is looking for numbers and that is achieved by a semipro highend user.
The fact this camera is now wiping floor with the Pro Market also, is a secondary effect I guess.

Guy Mancuso

I think Sony is a bit in the position that Canon fell into when they launched Video with the 5DMK2.
the success in the pro Market is NOT what I think they are aiming to primarily.
Sony is looking for numbers and that is achieved by a semipro highend user.
The fact this camera is now wiping floor with the Pro Market also, is a secondary effect I guess.
Agree and it's current raw was really coming from the video side of the house but the tide is changing for Sony and getting more serious still shooters. So they have to address this and good to see they did.