The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DRO settings

V

Vivek

I never paid much attention to the DRO settings. It was usually "OFF". Recently, I was looking at it.

On the NEX' the DRO settings (LV1 to LV5) appear to have very subtle effects. However, on FF (A7/7r/7s), the difference appears to be quite noticeable.

I have a question: Is the DRO (curves) baked into the RAW files or is it just for JPEGS?

TIA!

Slingers

I've just looked at this again and I see people are saying it's not applied to the RAW files on Sony cameras on other forums.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Can't help you. I have mine turned off and never use it ever. I don't do HDR in post either. Hate that look

pegelli

It's not baked into the raw, only jpg. You can see it when importing raws into lightroom. The first preview is the jpg with (when DRO is on) brightened shadows but then when the raw is rendered the DRO effect is gone.

If you use the Sony raw developer it will emulate the DRO setting in their default raw conversion, but there it can be undone easily.

Lucille

Can't help you. I have mine turned off and never use it ever. I don't do HDR in post either. Hate that look

I have mine turned off also but have been curious about this. I might have to do some testing and see what it does.

I tend to be a simple shooter and have much of the camera effects, sharpening, noise reduction all turned off. But every now and then I play with some of the creative styles though I find I never use those images.

k-hawinkler

Thanks. Any idea about C1 that Sony is promoting?

I change it in C1 all the time. Have DRO on Auto.

Independent of this question I use standard set to (-3,0,+3), peaking to red and low intensity.
I don't use the jpgs, but these settings seem to help me better to focus manually.

Does anybody else do something along these lines?

Guy Mancuso

I have not done it myself but I have read folks making JPEG changes to creative style that help with focusing. I would think sharpness and contrast increases would do that. I use yellow for focusing peaking and change I ntensity from low to medium depending on light. Outdoors I go low but indoors I go to medium. I can see yellow better also.

k-hawinkler

I have not done it myself but I have read folks making JPEG changes to creative style that help with focusing. I would think sharpness and contrast increases would do that. I use yellow for focusing peaking and change I ntensity from low to medium depending on light. Outdoors I go low but indoors I go to medium. I can see yellow better also.
Thanks Guy. I agree sharpness on high, but contrast as low as possible to increase sensitivity to find the highest micro contrast areas. Otherwise you will see a lot of red or yellow or white, no?

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Guy. I agree sharpness on high, but contrast as low as possible to increase sensitivity to find the highest micro contrast areas. Otherwise you will see a lot of red or yellow or white, no?
You could be correct. Worth sticking on tripod try both ways and see if more or less peaking is happening .

Guy Mancuso

You could be correct. Worth sticking on tripod try both ways and see if more or less peaking is happening .

I would think we want to see less as that would increase the sensitivity

Knorp

I change it in C1 all the time. Have DRO on Auto.

Independent of this question I use standard set to (-3,0,+3), peaking to red and low intensity.
I don't use the jpgs, but these settings seem to help me better to focus manually.

Does anybody else do something along these lines?
To make this work are you shooting RAW+JPEG, K-H ?

TIA

k-hawinkler

To make this work are you shooting RAW+JPEG, K-H ?

TIA
Thanks Bart. I don't think so. IIRC I picked this technique up on dpreview when I first got my NEX-5N. Have used it ever since. Indeed I sometimes shoot RAW+JPG, but for other reasons, namely to compare AWB.

I just tried the following on my A7r2:

Set Quality to RAW+JPG.
In Creative Style select B/W, set to (-3,-,+3).
Change Quality to RAW.

I still see B/W images displayed on the LCD or in the EVF.

Do you get the same behavior? TIA.