The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander CV15mm Version III Petal Removal

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I bought the VC 15mm III a little time ago and I love this lens on the A7RII body but what always bugged me was this fixed hood. The lens itself take a 58mm thread but its buried inside this hood and a little tough to deal with. But more important the hood really has no effect outside of maybe protecting the lens element. Which is great but I really do not want it and want to use bigger filters that match my Batis 25 and 85 which are 67mm. I want a new combo of hood because i rarely use front lens caps as i always have my hoods on. Less caps to deal with but I also want to use 1 size ND filters , Polarizers or graduated filters so 67mm will work on all three lenses plus anything smaller than 67mm with a step down adapter .

So here is the stock image of the hood. I put in red lines on where i want to cut the Petals . Im trying to go as flat as possible becuase I will be putting a 58mm to 67mm step up ring and want it to be as flush to the lens as possible.

So here is what I am after on the cut

So in prepping the lens I taped everything off and I had a old lens cap that I taped down to protect the glass and the filter threads . Than I used a Dremel with a cut off blade and just cut each petal off. Now as far as this setup it worked but I have a better idea which I did after the cut . Get two 58mm filters get cheap ones they will get ruined. But screw in two filters throw a lens cap on and you can cut right to those filters without any damage to the lens filter threads and the glass.

Here is what I did initially

But if your going to do this look at this and I much prefer to see folks use this idea instead as its much safer on the cut , the grinding and the wire brushing.

So just imagine the Petals are still in place here

Notice the one filter thread you see under the tape having these two filters in place stops you from going into the glass area and protects the lens threads themselves. I did okay with the above setup but I recommend this more

Here you can see after the cut what the lens looks like and the setup

Where I got in trouble was with the wire brush. I had the two filters in place and lens cap which protected the lens itself but I did not put gaffers tape on the area where the white dot sits and when I used the wire brush it slipped to the sides and buffed it up . That was my one fatal mistake . So take gaffers tape right up to the cut than use the Dremel with the wire brush and if you slip than your only hitting tape. Its not as bad as it sounds. I just need to paint that now

Couple more shots after the cut, grinding and wire brushing

Now the whole idea here is the area that has been cut , and such will never be seen becuase I will be screwing down the 58-67mm step up ring and frankly folks i won't be taking it off either. It will become a permanent piece so I am screwing it down very tightly and you will see why in a minute.

No wi used a Sharpie Enamel Paint and it worked great except its glossy so in this area which does not get seen I don't really care but Testers Has a Black Enamel Matte paint that Im going to fix the sides with where I buffed it up. It has the gloss on it now and don't look to bad but I'm going to repaint that part. Bunch of images coming

Here you can see the 58 to 67mm step up ring in place PLUS one 67mm empty filter ring. Why this you ask well its my new hood. Together with the step up and one filter ring I now have a new hood in place. To use filters without vignetting I just remove the one filter ring and replace with a ND filter lets say. I get a hood and i get to use 67mm filters

Now with one filter ring removed I can use the polarizer

At the moment I am using my Batis lens cap until a Push on cap gets here

Link to Push on lens Cap. Its 67mm but it fits over the filter so it is really 70mm

B+W Slip-On Lens Cap #305 for 67mm Slim-Line Filter 65-014141

So here is where I will repaint with the Matte paint, its just too shiny for me. See arrow that band around lens. This is my fault I did not tape that off when using the wire brush and I slipped.

So there you have it. Now let me add something here on options. I am choosing to have that extra 67mm empty thread ring as more of a hood before it hits any Vignetting so right there its all clear. But I do have to take that empty ring off to use a filter. You do not have to have that empty 67mm filter ring there if you do not want it You can go step up ring only if you want and you could use a Lee filter system for 67, 72 or 77 depending how big you really want to go. Im happy with 67mm as it keeps the look of the lens nice and small and I like the Extra filter ring there as the hood. The 58-67 is not that big a jump with regards to size and it looks pretty dang cool too.

One thing I did do is screw down the adapter ring down pretty tight so when i grab that extra ring to take off for filter needs it just unscrews very easy than pop on whatever filter I want.

Also you do not have to even keep the step up ring on but it does hide all the conversion stuff and looks very clean with the ring on. You have some options to decide here. This is just my choice

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

For some folks they would never do this and I totally understand i just ruined a 700 dollar lens. Fully aware of that but I am all about function and not so much about my gear looking good. Sure I'm anal as the next person and like things to look nice but end of day it needs to work they way i want. This solves a need, is it perfect no it is not is it completely ugly well only you can decide that . Once i clean up the paint it will look better but more important now i can go buy the expensive ND and Polarizers that I want because I only have to buy one size and that was the end goal. The bonus was the new hood which I think looks pretty darn nice

gurtch

Nice job Guy. I understand about the filter issue. I have 77mm 10 stop ND, and circular polarizer filters. I carry step rings from 49mm up to 72mm. I sometimes use a Sharpy Pen to blacken the inside of scratched or dinged metal lens hoods. I am one of those that puts on UV filters on all my lenses because of the environment where I live and photograph (NJ barrier island where there is salt spray, and blowing extremely fine sand).
Best regards from NJ
Dave

Don Libby

Great idea Guy. If my 28D had threads I would have cut the hood as well instead of using superglue for the 150. Either way it's all about what we need to do to accomplish the end result which is using the lens to suit our needs.

Don

karlfoto

Is there an option to send the lens into a camera tech, and have him dismantle the lens and then just slip off the petal ? I understand the joy of doing things with my own hands as well though.

Alternatively, could one cut through the base of the petal (black lines)and then just bend it off?

I dont have the lens so can't actually look at it from a tactile 3d perspective to see if this would work.

Attachments

Guy Mancuso

SK Grimes is doing a conversion for Fred over at FM. Now if you cut it like you say you lose where the white dot goes but it's a great question. I'm really not sure . Let me look at that.

Guy Mancuso

Looks like it's installed through the back and there is a lip that won't let it go forward than either epoxied in or something of that nature so it don't twist. My bet if you did figure a way it would look bad with a big slot after the aperture ring. It's certainly a question for VC. But a very interesting idea.

Guy Mancuso

Not sure I would take a chance unless I see the design on paper so I know for sure what's there.

jlm

Workshop Member
as a machinist (not having the lens in front of me;)) i would chuck the petal end in a lathe and carefully part off making a perfectly straight cut, holding the lens the entire time with my hand. about a 2 minute operation

Don Libby

Guy, might make for a good subsection to share what others have done cutting, taping, gluing, etc to make things work. May help someone else take the plunge...

don

Guy Mancuso

I went to a hobby shop bought flat black paint by testers. Model cars place and hand painted it and looks really good now. Even put a new white dot. Get a photo up later

Tools and supply

Dremel with cut off blade, grinding tool and wire brush attachments
Gaffers tape
2 58mm dead filter rings
Testers flat black enamel paint
58-67 step up ring
67mm blank ring only

Don Libby

This is such a good idea that I've been looking for a chance to try it myself. I just bought a Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar 15mm F/4.5 Lens for a decent price that also includes the E-mount. The lens should be here by the end of the week and all the additional supplies (step up ring to 67mm, couple cheap filters and a cheap lens cap off Amazon) will be here in a couple days.

I'll try and document the cutting process and share here as well. I've been thinking of this since Guy first posted with the plan of using the lens on my converted A7r. Super wide 15mm infrared/full spectrum...

Thanks Guy for giving me the idea.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Great Don get some cheap throw away 58 filters rings as your back stop for cutting. This way you protect the filter threads and also the front element in case you slip

Don Libby

I've ordered a step ring and 2-cheap filters along with a throwaway lens cap shortly after I bought the lens (under $400with the adaptor ). Actually everything should run close to $410.

I've reread your process twice this morning and will do it again before the first cut, should be fun. :grin:

Where else would you find someone crazy enough to spend $400 with the intention of cutting into it just to shoot super wide IR?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I've ordered a step ring and 2-cheap filters along with a throwaway lens cap shortly after I bought the lens (under $400with the adaptor ). Actually everything should run close to $410.

I've reread your process twice this morning and will do it again before the first cut, should be fun. :grin:

Where else would you find someone crazy enough to spend $400 with the intention of cutting into it just to shoot super wide IR?
I'd love to know where you found the version III lens for $400.

biglouis

I've been thinking about doing this with my Ultron 21/1.8 for exactly the same reasons - the ability to use my Lee system filters with it.

Although CV probably think they are doing us a favour with the inbuilt hoods, actually they ain't and a removable hood would be worth paying extra for in the original price.

LouisB