The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

mark1958

Guy have you compared the Minolta to the VOigtlander 180mm f4. This lens is as good or close to the Leica 135mm 3.4 M

dmward

Looks like the 85 Batis is a keeper for portraits etc.
Guy, one thing I don't understand is using the in camera crop. It just seems like throwing away pixels with no benefit.

I'm going to have to practice with the eye AF to see how it works. Could be fun wide open. It obviously makes sure the focus plane is in the right place with smaller apertures here.

Looks like two lights, did you use the Di700a? TTL or M?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Using the crop for the length since I don't have a 135 right now. I tend to like long lenses for portraits. I even use the 200 sometimes. I used my studio strobes . Dynalites 3 heads. Too many people to use the portables.. Would need a lot of batteries. Lol

dmward

Should have thought of that regarding the lighting.
80 people is way too much to ask of speedlites.

As for the crop. Doing it in camera or when processing is the same thing.
Its still an 85mm lens perspective at that specific distance.

That's why I prefer to shoot loose and then crop when finishing. Gives me options.

Some of it is personal. I never was a fan of 135mm. I loved my 90mm on M4, 105 on Nikon, or 150 on Hassy for portraits. I like using longer lenses too but for head and shoulders a 200mm can cause a little too much perspective compression.

Anyway, looks like you got the job in the can and the lens/camera combo look like a perfect solution.

jpaulmoore

I was hoping that my Batis 25mm would arrive before peak fall color in mid to late October, but it is looking unlikely. I ordered it about 1 month ago from B&H. At least I have my 24 Canon TSE ll with Metabones IV adapter to cover that focal range until it arrives. It's just a much heavier option.
J. Paul

davidstock

I've found some extended reviews of the Batis 85mm

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/lenses/zeiss-batis-85mm-f1-8-review

http://www.fotopolis.pl/n/21153/zeiss-batis-85-mm-f18-test-obiektywu/ (in Polish)

One interesting thing about the fotopolis review is that, based on their RAW MTF50 results, the Batis is a very close match to the Sony 90mm macro (which they also reviewed) in terms of resolution. If I'm reading the charts right, there's nothing much separating them, with a very slight advantage going to each lens at different apertures or parts of the image area.

--d

p.s. I'm still looking for a Batis 85. 15 weeks and counting since I ordered at B&H....

davidstock

J. Paul and David, I had orders with B&H also. I finally contacted my local camera store (Southeastern Camera in Raleigh) and within a two week period had both the Batis 25mm and Batis 85mm lenses. The local stores are getting lenses one at a time and have waiting lists. But the lists aren't as long as the B&H list. As usual, YMMV.

Joe
Thanks, Joe. Unfortunately, B&H kind of IS my local camera store. I live in NYC, and as far as I've been able to find out, the other stores around here are also backed up. Tough market. The stores I know about elsewhere too, like Samy's in LA. Maybe I should try YOUR local camera store!

--d

Guy Mancuso

I was offered a Batis 25 on my pre order list this morning. Have it already but tried to get one for you folks but it went to next in list. If I had the money I would have just grabbed it for someone here but my bank account would have screamed. Lol

Good news they are trickling in

Guy Mancuso

Okay finally my copy of the Batis 25 is in from the dealer I bought mine from. I have had there store demo all this time as they lent it to me until mine came in. Great store Newtownville camera in Ma. . In turn I been helping them sell some A7rII cams which they have in stock right now. I'm one of those folks that if someone does me a favor I like to pay them back in kind. So give them some business. Same prices as the big guns. Now of course I asked if any Batis where available and they don't but there pre order list is not that big. S if you want to give them a call and see where in line you maybe , might be a good idea. I'm seeing more Batis lenses being shipped from the brick and mortar stores than the big guns like B&H. If you do call please tell them I sent you along I would appreciate it. They did me a big favore to help a working Pro and I don't forget these kinds of gestures from good folks. Thanks now go call them. lol

gurtch

Okay finally my copy of the Batis 25 is in from the dealer I bought mine from. I have had there store demo all this time as they lent it to me until mine came in. Great store Newtownville camera in Ma. . In turn I been helping them sell some A7rII cams which they have in stock right now. I'm one of those folks that if someone does me a favor I like to pay them back in kind. So give them some business. Same prices as the big guns. Now of course I asked if any Batis where available and they don't but there pre order list is not that big. S if you want to give them a call and see where in line you maybe , might be a good idea. I'm seeing more Batis lenses being shipped from the brick and mortar stores than the big guns like B&H. If you do call please tell them I sent you along I would appreciate it. They did me a big favore to help a working Pro and I don't forget these kinds of gestures from good folks. Thanks now go call them. lol
Thanks for the info on Newtonville Camera. I like dealing with real local camera shops. I live in south Jersey, and used to spend a Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia visiting a half dozen camera shops in a 6 block area. Newtonville's web site is very user unfriendly; nowhere was a place to input, for example "Batis 85mm". No way to see what they have in stock, No place to look up a lens, for example, look up the specs, to see what size filter it would need. Please pass this on to them. I might buy from them if I could determine if they have an item in stock, the price, the shipping costs, etc.
Best to you.....
Dave in NJ

Guy Mancuso

Thanks for the info on Newtonville Camera. I like dealing with real local camera shops. I live in south Jersey, and used to spend a Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia visiting a half dozen camera shops in a 6 block area. Newtonville's web site is very user unfriendly; nowhere was a place to input, for example "Batis 85mm". No way to see what they have in stock, No place to look up a lens, for example, look up the specs, to see what size filter it would need. Please pass this on to them. I might buy from them if I could determine if they have an item in stock, the price, the shipping costs, etc.
Best to you.....
Dave in NJ
I know Dave they really need to work on web page. Call them great folks

ddanois

The wait is finally over...Batis 85 received yesterday courtesy of Allens Camera!

This lens is amazing and will be my body cap for a while.

douglaspboyd

Re: Batis 85 - in stock today at Popflash

Crap. I went right online and ordered. Just missed it because of a brief address verification issue. I even got an email that my order has been sent, but Popflash now says it was not. Back to the drawing board.

--d
Dear David Stock,

My deepest apologies. Apparently while you were dealing with address verification, my order for the last one went through. Tracking shows already in Thousand Oaks, CA, about 304 miles from here.

What happened was earlier in the day I was testing my new 55mm 1.8 lens and was blown away with how much better this prime was at f1.8 then my 28-70mm lens at f8. These modern prime lenses are really good. That's when I realized I had to have the Batis 85mm, and forget about zooms. Then I saw this thread....

--Doug

davidstock

Re: Batis 85 - in stock today at Popflash

Dear David Stock,

My deepest apologies. Apparently while you were dealing with address verification, my order for the last one went through. Tracking shows already in Thousand Oaks, CA, about 304 miles from here.

What happened was earlier in the day I was testing my new 55mm 1.8 lens and was blown away with how much better this prime was at f1.8 then my 28-70mm lens at f8. These modern prime lenses are really good. That's when I realized I had to have the Batis 85mm, and forget about zooms. Then I saw this thread....

--Doug
Ha! Thanks, Doug. No problem. At least one of us got it!

My street address is written either as 3727 or 37-27. That's what the whole verification hangup was.

Popflash was apologetic. They said they'll let me know first when they get more of the lenses.

I'm also on a waiting list at Foto Care, who say they expect more 85s by the end of the month. And my B&H order from June is still hanging. Something's got to give....

Enjoy the lens, and make good images with it.

Cheers,

--d

Dodds in OH had a Batis 85 last week. 15% discount via selling equip to KEH & weekend sale.

Jpeg out of A7RII with distortion

Raw image to jpeg via Capture One & correction