The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RM2 Firmware Update to ver 1.1

nsng

New firmware update available here,

http://www.sony.com.sg/support/download/607881/product/ilce-7rm2

Benefits

1. Improved a symptom to rarely become front focus depend on shooting scene.
  2. Decreased chroma noise when long exposure NR is set off.
  3. Improved Hi continuous shooting speed when using with the flash.

Update went smoothly on a Mac running El Capitan (OS X 10.11). No visible changes.

I don't typically do long exposures, so didn't expect to notice anything, but I like to keep up-to-date.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have not run into the front focusing but glad they adjusted it. Long exposures I certainly have though. Glad to see they are addressing things that's really important.

Guy Mancuso

Update went smoothly. All customizations and settings were retained. I may not notice any difference because, like Mike, I do very few long exposures. It's encouraging to see Sony updating the firmware early in the product's life cycle to fix reported problems.

Joe
Right there is the key Joe, totally agree.

Guy Mancuso

I don't have the Sony cable. really making me mad. Anyway I have another cable and it does not connect with device. I tried C1 tethered and not working either. Might have to go buy a cable. Anyone know of one that is known to work

Jim DE

In my case with a Mac 10.10 this update is moving very slowly right now... Has been updating for 20 minutes

Jim DE

Yeah Guy... two of them :) It finally finished and I now am done.... I look at this as a warm up for next months update ;)

davidstock

Did anybody check your low-light autofocus with the new firmware?

There's just been a report on DPReviews that low-light autofocus is degraded (slow, hunting), at least with some lenses that previously showed focus shift and some non-native lenses.

There is speculation that this is because the A7RII aperture behavior that allowed focus shift (focus wide open, then stop down) has been changed, and that the new behavior allows less light onto the sensor during autofocus. In other words, camera aperture behavior is back to the previous A7 cameras. (Focus at taking aperture.) I can't vouch for this myself. Maybe a false alarm. But maybe worth checking?

--d

Last edited:
Did anybody check your low-light autofocus with the new firmware?

There's just been a report on DPReviews that low-light autofocus is degraded (slow, hunting), at least with some lenses that previously showed focus shift and some non-native lenses.

There is speculation that this is because the A7RII aperture behavior that allowed focus shift (focus wide open, then stop down) has been changed, and that the new behavior allows less light onto the sensor during autofocus. In other words, camera aperture behavior is back to the previous A7 cameras. (Focus at taking aperture.) I can't vouch for this myself. Maybe a false alarm. But maybe worth checking?

--d
I have just done a very quick check with the new FW and the FE 35/1.4 in very low light. With the lens stopped down and using the back button AF I clearly see and hear that there is a first step in which the lens open up (not fully, probably just at f:2) to help focus and then closes again at the selected opening. I do not know if the complete AF routine or just the first step is performed with the lens wide open.

Viramati

Okay so I have just tested all my FE lenses and the Zooms I have (FE24-70 and 16-35) now stay stopped down when focussing with setting effect on and the 28,55 and 90 macro all open up. That said I have just tried focussing the zooms in a very dark room with no lights on in a very rainy London (to give an idea how dark iso 12800 f8 1/3sec) and though slightly slow than when shot wide open at f8 they are locking focus pretty quickly as long as there is some contrast to be detected. Nothing I would't be happy with