The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII manual focus with old lenses

gurtch

I want to use a "dumb" (no electrical contacts) adapter to mount old manual focus lenses. I want to be able to use magnified view to confirm sharp focus. How do I initiate magnified view? I also would like to be able to toggle from standard view to magnified view, then back again while shooting, without digging through countless menues. Is this possible? The little instruction book that comes with the camera is not much use here.
Thanks in advance.
Dave in NJ

jlm

Workshop Member
easy to do;
just program the function you want to one of the c buttons; done through the menus on the camera

gurtch

Dave, you can program one of the customizable buttons to magnify the view for manual focus lenses. I use the C1 button (Menu>Custom Key Settings>Custom Button 1>Focus Magnifier) for that purpose. That works well with my Voigtlander 15mm VM lens and a "dumb" Metabones adapter.

Joe
Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
Www.modernpictorials.com
Dave

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
-Cindy

gurtch

Dave, I don't know if you saw my post in another thread, but I put a chrome button on C1 (stick-on from rluther.com). It makes it easier to feel the button without taking my eyes off the viewfinder.
Make sure that you use the focus peaking to get you in the ballpark before you magnify.
-Cindy
Thank you Cindy, great idea.
Dave

Shac

Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
Thanks in advance

Shac

Joe - thank you (I guess :banghead:) I still have a few days to make up my mind before I'd have to return mine .

Godfrey

Thanks all. I am embarrassed to post some of these elementary questions, but at age 78 the menues overwhelm me. Again, thanks for tolerating my questions, but once I figure it out, I think I do successful work here:
Www.modernpictorials.com
Dave
It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

G

gurtch

It's not generally my style of photography, but I looked through your galleries and found several photos that are very appealing. Thanks for posting the link! I love seeing good work, regardless of what equipment or what style it might be.

G
Thanks Godfrey. I am an Amateur, but I am having a blast in my retirement.
Best to you
Dave

V

Vivek

Is it just me but manual focusing with the focus magnifier is more difficult at the first magnification level, than at the second (highest magnification)? At the first magnification level, the image seems soft even when it is in focus (& yes I have the EVF diopter adjusted correctly for my eyes).
Is there anyway to bypass the first magnification level?
Thanks in advance
It depends on the contrast of the lens of which the old manual lenses are generally lacking. Put the "settings effect" to ON and jack up the contrast to the maximum.

Shac

Thanks Vivek. I have settings on and will try higher contrast. I'm using M and R lenses (all relatively modern formulations - but not the latest in M's).
At least the highest focus magnification is good - just wish you could deprogram the first mag level

V

Vivek

Shac, I tried the FE 55/1.8 in manual focus mode and the first mag is superb. It isn't that great with M or R lenses (it gets better with jacked up contrast settings that does not affect the RAW files, btw).