The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old CZ 1.7 lens

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I found one of my old Contax film cameras today in a drawer. It has a CZ 1.7 50mm lens that I remember being nice. Is it the metabones adapter I need to make it work on the 7RMII?

Michiel Schierbeek

I use the Kipon adapter. May be a little cheaper. It is important, especially with longer lenses, that it is all black in case of inner reflections.

Eddie3dfx

Great lens! It's actually quite sharp at 1.7 onwards.
The 1.4 is a little bit sharper from 2.8 onwards, but for the price, you really can't beat the 1.7

seb

I have both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7. I never got warm with the IQ of both of them. The style is too... flat, like cheap holliday pics in the 80s.
The 1.4 perform mediocre at 1.4 and both are nothing above that against the other two lenses, I have in this range (FE 55/1.8 and leitz wetzlar summicron 50/2), in any regard.

Eddie3dfx

I have both the 50/1.4 and the 50/1.7. I never got warm with the IQ of both of them. The style is too... flat, like cheap holliday pics in the 80s.
The 1.4 perform mediocre at 1.4 and both are nothing above that against the other two lenses, I have in this range (FE 55/1.8 and leitz wetzlar summicron 50/2), in any regard.
I have all 3 including the 85mm planar.

1.4 on the 50mm is soft, but from 1.8 or so on, it's quite nice.. I find the bokeh/colors to be very pleasant... at 2.8 its incredibly sharp and a very versatile portrait/landscape lens.
1.7 has a bit of a nervous bokeh, but it's a sharper lens from the get go than the 1.4.. planar beat's it in sharpness around 2.5 onward.
IMHO the planar's have smoother bokeh than the sonnar, but the sonnar's are sharper... I find the 55mm to be a great lens and quite sharp, but I was hoping for a better minimum focus distance
planar is .45m while the sonnar is .5
with my contax 28mm 2.8, I can practically get right up to the object.

85mm 1.4 kills all 3 in bokeh

seb

I have all 3 including the 85mm planar...

85mm 1.4 kills all 3 in bokeh
You are so right! The planar is heavy and was difficult to focus on the A7 on 1.4. but with IBIS (A7RII), it is now a very nice portrait lens to me.

Besides I like the CY Sonnar 135/2.8 too.

I've collected a set of those 'old' C/Y lenses that were Zeiss' competitors to Leica R. They're classic Zeiss and IMO render in a lovely '3D' way. And they cost a fraction of R prices.

I use them on Sony with Rayqual adapters from CameraQuest. These seem to be very tightly machined.

Kirk