The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Well there goes my CG 45mm f2 back into my ContaxG2 kit

Jim DE

I just received a new Sony FE 55 f1.8 what a wickedly sharp lens. I think I found a replacement for my CG45mm legacy lens. Out with the old and in with the new I guess. The CG45 will go back in the ContaxG2 bag with the 21, 28, 35, and now 45. The only one I will still be using will be the CG 90mm occasionally until my next new FE glass purchase which will be the 70-200mm I guess.

Man, I really do like that 55mm..........

V

Vivek

I paid a whopping 619 Euros for a new one. Hope it lives up to its hype.

Jim DE

I don't know the conversion but I paid 689usd for a grey market one with a 3 year dealer based USA warranty(first grey market I ever bought so the jury is still out on these) .... worth twice that to me and the results I am getting ;)

V

Vivek

I don't know the conversion but I paid 689usd for a grey market one with a 3 year dealer based USA warranty(first grey market I ever bought so the jury is still out on these) .... worth twice that to me and the results I am getting ;)
I paid ~6 Euros more than you (shipped) and 380 Euros less than the very optimistic list price here. :)
Presumably shipped locally as well. I will know that soon.

Jim DE

You know Joe that ia what I was thinking when I bought it.. plus I think isn't sony's lens warranty only for 1 year? I (knock on wood) have never had to use the lens warranty's.

My guess they both will end up in Precision either way........

V

Vivek

.. worth twice that to me and the results I am getting ;)
It is a decent lens but the rear baffle baffles me. It is ill designed and causes problems. I removed it (will not recommend anyone doing it since it makes the already flimsy lens mount more vulnerable. So, there is more things need to be done after the removal.). Build quality is very plasticky and it is worth ~ 1/2 what I paid for. That would amount to ~300 Euros tops.

I wish Tamron/Sigma or Samyang would make a standard prime (and all the lenses). Their build quality is far better than that of Zony.

I just received a new Sony FE 55 f1.8 what a wickedly sharp lens. I think I found a replacement for my CG45mm legacy lens. Out with the old and in with the new I guess. The CG45 will go back in the ContaxG2 bag with the 21, 28, 35, and now 45. The only one I will still be using will be the CG 90mm occasionally until my next new FE glass purchase which will be the 70-200mm I guess.

Man, I really do like that 55mm..........
Agreed that the FE 55 is a keeper but I've been going the opposite direction now that the Techart adapter for the a7RII has been updated again this month. Having fast PDAF that really works on the CG45 is a dream and there is something about that lens that keeps me reaching for it. That textured planar bokeh is wonderful, while the micro contrast is outstanding.

Jim DE

SP, I have been shooting my Contax G glass (usually only the 45 and 90 as the others have had issues in the corners) since the original NEX5. Then the NEX7 and started using it on this a7rII. IMO with my copy the 45mm lost something on the a7rII in the area of contrast and color compared to the NEX bodies and their 14mp and 24mp sensors. I was less than thrilled with the results on my a7rII. I could PP them to look as they did initially in the other bodies but I was really surprised I wasn't impressed with the initial results in LR6, C1, and even Aperture3. The FE55mm (at least my copy) once again gave me the CG45 color and contrast initial in both C1 and even more in Aperture. I retired my 45mm back into the ContaxG2 kit and most likely if my next purchase is the 90mm macro(still debating for the a7rII if my next lens will be the 90mm mac or the 70-200f4 even though I am almost totally convinced my long glass usage will stay with either my a99 or a77II and 100mm and under the a7rII so the 70-200mm f4 is getting less and less likely) the 90mmCG will also return to the ContaxG2 kit. I am thinking I will be pretty much set with the 16-35f4, the 55mm f1.8, and the 90mm mac for a hike in a7rII kit for scenics.

The techart adapter price and the issues trying to manual focus with a smaller wheel pretty much loses it's appeal compared to using the newer OEM FE glass and the results I am seeing with my own results so far.