The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

Wouldn't that be nice? :)

May be Chad should push this with Sony.
Hey guys, I can't believe I've missed all this great discussion on my favorite adapter/lens combo!

Hope everyone is sorted but if there are any outstanding questions I can help with let me know.

As far as the comment above - I made the suggestion the minute the a7RII was released. Who knows what Sony is and is not able to accommodate but believe me, this would be a dream. I want to use my 135/1.8 with the native a7RII AF system soooooo badly.

Jim DE

SP, two quick questions

Will any new Golden Eagles ordered from Either B&H or MX have the newest firmware installed (B&H is stating 11/30/15 as expected ship date)

Also if I order from MX in China how long will it take to arrive to the east coast of the USA and how big of a hassle is it doing business with them....I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling buying from the Far East. I usually reject anything on the auction sites I see offered from over there or the Middle East.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim,
I ordered mine from eBay. It took a couple of weeks to get here. It did need to be updated, but that only takes a couple of minutes. Chad's blog has a good description of how to do it.

Jim DE

I just tried the MXCamera site to order it and the order would not take..... the site just froze (guess the translator/currency converter was absent ;) )

Think I will wait on B&H ....... I have a Kipon on it now.

Annna T

I just tried the MXCamera site to order it and the order would not take..... the site just froze (guess the translator/currency converter was absent ;) )

Think I will wait on B&H ....... I have a Kipon on it now.
Many tanks to Carl and Cindy for their input. Alas this time I'm the one stuck. I had installed the A7rII last firmware version before trying the updating of the adapter. May be that was my error ? Then before i read the post of Carl I had found the link to Chad's blog on Bryan Smith website. Alas I just read the article, not the comments. So I missed the part where you have to shut the camera down (since you operate that way with Canon lenses in some circonstances and since I thought the adapter would need energy run the update, I let the body on). Second error. The adapter can't be detected when the body is on. I tried with the tablet, then with the iPhone, no way. then I tried downloading an earlier version. No way. That's when I begun to read the comments and found the detailed steps.

Ok I was able to connect the adapter to the tablet and downloaded the software. It was written successfully and verified successfully. Then another title line said : install firmware.. but nothing else happened : I waited for 15 minutes and still nothing. So in the end I shut everything down.

When I plugged the 45mm on, at first it was working. I made one or two tries and it was great. Really. Then I put on the 90mm and it didn't work : it didn't even connect to the adapter : I had a black display, or I could get an image, but the F. Was red and without value. Turning the aperture wheel wasn't working either. Then after a while nothing worked at all : I put the 45mm on and got the same black display. Same with the 28mm. Yet fitting the lenses on the A7r with the TGA 1B (the previous adapter you can't update yourself) : all three lenses were working. So I know for sure that the problem doesn't lie with the lenses, but with the adapter.
In Chad's comments section I read that someone else was having trouble with the updating and the process remaining stuck exactly like with mine and he also had the last firmware installed on the A7rII.

So it may be better not to try the update if your A7rII already has the last firmware installed. Or I made something wrong along the way : like the display going into sleep, or what else.. Anyway, I'm stuck and very frustrated since I have seen how well it can work when it work !

Last edited:

scho

Many tanks to Carl and Cindy for their input. Alas this time I'm the one stuck. I had installed the A7rII last firmware version before trying the updating of the adapter. May be that was my error ? Then before i read the post of Carl I had found the link to Chad's blog on Bryan Smith website. Alas I just read the article, not the comments. So I missed the part where you have to shut the camera down (since you operate that way with Canon lenses in some circonstances and since I thought the adapter would need energy run the update, I let the body on). Second error. The adapter can't be detected when the body is on. I tried with the tablet, then with the iPhone, no way. then I tried downloading an earlier version. No way. That's when I begun to read the comments and found the detailed steps.

Ok I was able to connect the adapter to the tablet and downloaded the software. It was written successfully and verified successfully. Then another title line said : install firmware.. but nothing else happened : I waited for 15 minutes and still nothing. So in the end I shut everything down.

When I plugged the 45mm on, at first it was working. I made one or two tries and it was great. Really. Then I put on the 90mm and it didn't work : it didn't even connect to the adapter : I had a black display, or I could get an image, but the F. Was red and without value. Turning the aperture wheel wasn't working either. Then after a while nothing worked at all : I put the 45mm on and got the same black display. Same with the 28mm. Yet fitting the lenses on the A7r with the TGA 1B (the previous adapter you can't update yourself) : all three lenses were working. So I know for sure that the problem doesn't lie with the lenses, but with the adapter.
In Chad's comments section I read that someone else was having trouble with the updating and the process remaining stuck exactly like with mine and he also had the last firmware installed on the A7rII.

So it may be better not to try the update if your A7rII already has the last firmware installed. Or I made something wrong along the way : like the display going into sleep, or what else.. Anyway, I'm stuck and very frustrated since I have seen how well it can work when it work !
Try removing the camera battery, wait a few secs, replace battery and try again. I had some problems with my 90 struggling to focus and reverting to contrast detect focus, but resetting with the battery removal fixed it. My 35 and 45 work very well in phase detect mode.

Jim DE

Anna none of that sounds like fun but I hope someone knows exactly how to correct this for you.

As a old coot and computer savy challenged it is things like you are experiencing I avoid like the plague. When I read things like the instructions are vague or difficult to decipher, when I go to a blog and try to view a video on how to update software and see the prompt the video doesn't exist, when a site doesn't function and has lots of foreign language on it, when you read user issues with various aspects of using or uploading firmware, Etc.... My "stay away from this product" warning senses are activated. Hopefully if and when B&H gets this product in someone there will know the ins and outs of the product, will speak English as a first language, and will be available for us computer challenged old coots if we hit a issue. As I stated before I resist buying on the auction sites if the seller is outside the USA and it is for reasons such as this. I am very happy to manual focus my Kipon till B&H gets product on the 30th of next month or when ever.

Anna as initially stated I truly hope your issue is easily resolved and you can get back to being a photographer with it rather than a frustrated software tech and translator. Products should work as described without the owner having to learn other languages and professions to use them.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I would follow Chad's directions to the T and start over and do it again. I had to do it a second time (per email from manufacturer). One caveat that I found was that I needed to turn off the sleep mode on my phone (iPad would be the same). The first time, I believe that my phone went into the sleep/lock position and the download stopped. Make sure that you get a message at the end that the process is complete.

If it won't let you update at all, then use the email that I posted before. That is the manufacturer. Tell him what you told us.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I thought maybe it would be helpful to list the steps here. Thanks to Chad Wadsworth who set me in the right direction when I got mine.
If you see something that is in error or want to add more, please do so.

1. You need to download the Techart app from the App store and turn bluetooth ON in your device and auto-lock OFF. You don't want your phone or pad to go to sleep while the update is happening, or it will stop the update. Click on the correct TA-GA3 update (the one with the highest Version number). A check mark will appear next to it.

2. Mount your adapter on the A7RII and mount a Contax G lens.

3. Turn the camera ON. Set the aperture in the camera to f/90. Take a shot. Turn the camera OFF. REMOVE the lens only. Lay the camera with the adapter on it, right next to your phone or pad. Leave the camera OFF.

4. Press UPDATE on the App. You will wait till the device is found. Once you see that the device is found, don't touch anything until the message is given that the update was successful. (The update took a while, so be patient.)

5. Mount the lens. Turn the camera ON. Set the aperture on the camera to f/2.

Last edited:

Annna T

I thought maybe it would be helpful to list the steps here. Thanks to Chad Wadsworth who set me in the right direction when I got mine.
(.....)
Press UPDATE on the App. You will wait till the device is found. Once you see that the device is found, don't touch anything until the message is given that the update was successful. (The update took a while, so be patient.)
Many thanks Cindy for your help. Alas I'm still getting problems, although the situation has improved somewhat.

In fact I don't think that any updates took place. I was able to get the list of updates, to connect the tablet and adapter (once I understood you had to shut the camera down) and the firmware was writen and verified successfully. But I did never get a feedback that the installation had successfully ended. The last time I waited for more than an hour and the confirmation never appeared. (The picture below show the last line of the feedbacks received). I will send it to the address you gave above in this thread.

Things however have improved a little : for a while I was no more able to connect the 45mm. So I couldn't even set the aperture to F90 because I didn't see any F value. Now I have determined that trying to mount the 90mm throws the adapter out of function. I tried several tricks to get it working again : mounting the lenses on A7r with either adapter (they work), mounting the older TGA1-B on the A7rII and the different lenses; they work if you change the AF system to contrast detect, although slowly, like on the A7r. Since the 45mm is working again, I tried to update the firmware another time, but the process still hooks after the installing begin. I waited a full hour without success. The last line I got isn't the confirmation of a successful installation, or is it ?

Last edited:

Annna T

Try removing the camera battery, wait a few secs, replace battery and try again. I had some problems with my 90 struggling to focus and reverting to contrast detect focus, but resetting with the battery removal fixed it. My 35 and 45 work very well in phase detect mode.
Many thanks for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions.

I had to remove the battery per force several times : when I wasn't getting any image on the display, shutting down the camera wouldn't work : as soon as I took out the lens, the motor of the adapter begun spinning like mad, even though the body was switched off. The only way to stop it was to remove the battery. I had already tried that trick before, just to see.

I don't know how I managed that (exchanging lenses, bodies and adapters in the hope to reset things), but anyway : the adapter is now working fine with the 45mm. Indeed, it is great. But when I put the 90mm on again, not without fear, while powering the camera, there was a big clack (not sure whether it was from the shutter, the adapter or the lens.. And it was apparent that the 90mm didn't connect with the body. It is weird because I can connect it to the A7r and the A7rII with the TGA-1B adapter (the old one you can't update). When you choose contrast detect it will work on the A7rII too, though slowly.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Are you sure that your device (phone or pad), isn't going into a sleep/lock mode? Mine was, the first time that I performed the update, and mine never finished. On my iPhone, it was Auto-lock under the General tab in Settings.

I would start over one more time and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. He emailed a response within 24 hours.

You said "remove the battery per force". I hope that you did not mean that literally. I have several off-market brand batteries. I had one that would not come out of my A7II a week ago. I had a terrible time getting it out. This is the second time this has happened with an off-brand battery. I looked at the battery and it had a crack in the case. I tossed it. I have read that others have had the same problem. When your battery puffs up and doesn't go in easy, toss it!

Many thanks for sharing your experiences and for your suggestions.

I had to remove the battery per force several times : when I wasn't getting any image on the display, shutting down the camera wouldn't work : as soon as I took out the lens, the motor of the adapter begun spinning like mad, even though the body was switched off. The only way to stop it was to remove the battery. I had already tried that trick before, just to see.

I don't know how I managed that (exchanging lenses, bodies and adapters in the hope to reset things), but anyway : the adapter is now working fine with the 45mm. Indeed, it is great. But when I put the 90mm on again, not without fear, while powering the camera, there was a big clack (not sure whether it was from the shutter, the adapter or the lens.. And it was apparent that the 90mm didn't connect with the body. It is weird because I can connect it to the A7r and the A7rII with the TGA-1B adapter (the old one you can't update). When you choose contrast detect it will work on the A7rII too, though slowly.

scho

Many thanks Cindy for your help. Alas I'm still getting problems, although the situation has improved somewhat.

In fact I don't think that any updates took place. I was able to get the list of updates, to connect the tablet and adapter (once I understood you had to shut the camera down) and the firmware was writen and verified successfully. But I did never get a feedback that the installation had successfully ended. The last time I waited for more than an hour and the confirmation never appeared. (The picture below show the last line of the feedbacks received). I will send it to the address you gave above in this thread.

Things however have improved a little : for a while I was no more able to connect the 45mm. So I couldn't even set the aperture to F90 because I didn't see any F value. Now I have determined that trying to mount the 90mm throws the adapter out of function. I tried several tricks to get it working again : mounting the lenses on A7r with either adapter (they work), mounting the older TGA1-B on the A7rII and the different lenses; they work if you change the AF system to contrast detect, although slowly, like on the A7r. Since the 45mm is working again, I tried to update the firmware another time, but the process still hooks after the installing begin. I waited a full hour without success. The last line I got isn't the confirmation of a successful installation, or is it ?

That is the correct message that the update was successful. There is no other confirmation. Sounds like your 90 is not mating properly on then adapter. Did you try attaching the adapter to the lens before mounting on the camera?

Annna T

Are you sure that your device (phone or pad), isn't going into a sleep/lock mode? Mine was, the first time that I performed the update, and mine never finished. On my iPhone, it was Auto-lock under the General tab in Settings.

I would start over one more time and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. He emailed a response within 24 hours.

You said "remove the battery per force". I hope that you did not mean that literally. I have several off-market brand batteries. I had one that would not come out of my A7II a week ago. I had a terrible time getting it out. This is the second time this has happened with an off-brand battery. I looked at the battery and it had a crack in the case. I tossed it. I have read that others have had the same problem. When your battery puffs up and doesn't go in easy, toss it!
Thanks for still trying to help. I have auto lock set to on, but think it is only for the password : if the iPad goes into sleep, you have to feed in your password again (?) I have set the sleeping delay to never. But I may try that again with auto lock deactivated too.

When I wrote "per force" that wasn't physically, but in the sense that I was constrained to take the battery out in order to stop the spinning of the adapter's little motor. That motor started to spin all by himself when I took the lens out of the adapter and this inspite of the camera being powered off before I took the lens out. Weird not ? It is as if something was blocking the focusing motor of the adapter and releasing the lens gave it a starting signal.

The 45mm is working fine by now. But the lens I really want to use is the 90mm. I will contact Techart and see what they have to say about all that.

Sorry to hear about your batteries problem. I have only Sony batteries for now : when the A7r was issued there were no third parties' batteries available here for a long time, si I had to get Sony's ones.

But I know what you mean : I almost got a similar problem with a third party battery on the E-M5. The battery had got hot and expanded and it didn't come out easily. I let things cool down for a while, but even so it was hard to get it out. Like you I put this battery aside and don't use it anymore.

Last edited:

Annna T

That is the correct message that the update was successful. There is no other confirmation. Sounds like your 90 is not mating properly on then adapter. Did you try attaching the adapter to the lens before mounting on the camera?
Great ! Thank you Carl !

If it was written "firmware installed" or "install successful" it would have been clearer. I was waiting for a last line telling explicitly that the installation was successful. But since the 45mm is now working properly again I assumed it may be the case.

Yes I seem to have problem with both the 28mm and 90mm on the TA-GA3. It is weird because all three lenses work OK with the old adapter on both bodies. Too bad because the 90mm is the one I really wanted to get to work. I'm already covered at the wide and standard end.

The instructions for the Techart stipulates that one should first mount the adapter on the body and then the lens. But yes, I have tried doing it in reverse order. Same results.

Thanks for the help though. I will probably leave things at that for now. I think both the lenses and the adapters have tolerances that may or may not play nicely together.

Last edited:

Jim DE

My old Kipon adapter on my CG90mm is looking better and better ......... Anna I really hope this all works out for you!!!

Annna T

My old Kipon adapter on my CG90mm is looking better and better ......... Anna I really hope this all works out for you!!!
The older Techart smart adapter (TGA-1B) works with all three lenses on the A7rII, provided that I set focus mode as contrast detect instead of phase detect. But phase detect would be great to have with the 90mm since it is much faster.

Thank you for the good wishes. The glass as of yet isn't full but not empty either.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
In case anyone ever needs to adjust one of their lenses to the techart adapter for A7rII, these are the instructions from - breguetcamera:

If the auto focus doesn't accurate, then i will solve how to adjust your camera until accurate focusing.
1) You need to turn off the AEL settings on your camera.
2) If you found out that focus point is step forward, please take a photo with each aperture between F21 and F51 by auto focus mode, then the last photo will record the most accurate focusing.
3) If you found out that focus point is step backward, please take a photo with each aperture between F64 and F90 by auto focus mode, then the last photo will record the most accurate focusing.
4) Turn off the camera, and then restart the camera.
would you please test it again and see if it's all right?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I just put my 90 on the A7rII and was shooting around my office. It is just amazing. I hope that you can work this out. This might seem like a dumb question, but you are turning the lens on and off by holding the silver ribbed area, aren't you? That screw has to get engaged in the slot. You are feeling that solid click when you mount the lens?

The older Techart smart adapter (TGA-1B) works with all three lenses on the A7rII, provided that I set focus mode as contrast detect instead of phase detect. But phase detect would be great to have with the 90mm since it is much faster.

Thank you for the good wishes. The glass as of yet isn't full but not empty either.