The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

V

Vivek

"Too perfect", "Sterile"- it (Zony FE 55/1.8) is not. It shows CA until f/5.6 (it is still there but much less), distortion, etc. It has its own "character". :LOL:

Slingers

I was wowed by the 55 when I first received it but now I feel the same, that it's very clinical.

scho

There is another firmware update (version 2.1.0) now available for the Contax G to Sony E adapter. I haven't had time to evaluate, but seems to be about the same as v 2.0.0 in terms of PD AF performance, maybe slightly more reliable when stopped down and/or shooting near min focus distance.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I finally have resolved my Techart adapter problems. Thanks to Annna T, I was able to figure out that the 45mm Planar lens that I had purchased had a problem with the screw drive. I sent it back for a replacement. I was still left with the problem that once I took a shot, manual focus was disabled. I could still AF, but I had to turn the camera on/off in order to restore the ability to manual focus. I contacted the manufacturer. He said that the latest update addresses that problem. I had already updated. He asked me to try updating again. Now my problem is solved. For some reason, the previous update did not "take", even though the app showed that I had aa successful update.

Thanks to all who offered help. It would really be helpful if the instructions were more user-friendly. I'm so glad that I have this forum to turn to.

UHDR

for those who doesnt want to spend as much, or want a 50mm instead of 55mm and does not mind manual focus. it's worth taking a look at Ricoh 50mm F2 (K mount). after a series of tests, i concluded that i cant tell the FE55mm from the 50mm F2 when wide open. when stopped down, the zeiss colour does give FE55 an edge, but only just. (my friend has the Ricoh and i have the FE55. i tested both on A7r mk1 not mk2)

V

Vivek

for those who doesnt want to spend as much, or want a 50mm instead of 55mm and does not mind manual focus. it's worth taking a look at Ricoh 50mm F2 (K mount). after a series of tests, i concluded that i cant tell the FE55mm from the 50mm F2 when wide open. when stopped down, the zeiss colour does give FE55 an edge, but only just. (my friend has the Ricoh and i have the FE55. i tested both on A7r mk1 not mk2)
Is your sample of 55 that bad? :bugeyes:

So there have been a couple of new FW updates for the current adapter and I know it improves things a lot for the A7RII. Given though, that I own and love an A7II, does anyone have experience with the adapter on this camera? I really want to pick one up but I don't want to waste my time & money if it's too finicky for prime time. Thanks!

Annna T

There is another firmware update (version 2.1.0) now available for the Contax G to Sony E adapter. I haven't had time to evaluate, but seems to be about the same as v 2.0.0 in terms of PD AF performance, maybe slightly more reliable when stopped down and/or shooting near min focus distance.
I finally got an A7rII, so it is time for me to update this adapter. Since I have never updated it, I am wondering : do I need to make all the intermediary updates ? Or can I jump directly to the last one ? There are five updates listed for the TGA3.

I don't even know which firmware version is mine. Is there any way to know it ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I finally got an A7rII, so it is time for me to update this adapter. Since I have never updated it, I am wondering : do I need to make all the intermediary updates ? Or can I jump directly to the last one ? There are five updates listed for the TGA3.

I don't know about finding your firmware version, but when I was having a problem with mine, the manufacturer sent me this message:

Hi,
you can try to update firmware once again,it will be ok,we upgrade file at 2015.10.07 to resolve this problem.
Thank you

发自网易邮箱 iPhone 版

You might use this email address to send a message and check with them. I would just go ahead and try the most recent update first.

scho

I think also that the most recent (2.1) update should be fine. Chad has listed the steps you need to follow for doing the update in a comments reply on his blog. Working very nicely in phase detect mode on my A7RII with the 35 and 45.

Jim DE

Just curious.... how is this new updated Techart CG to E AF mount working with the CG90 on the a7rII?

The CG90mm is the only one of my CG glass I have note replaced with OEM glass in my FE kit and honestly am thinking about the 90mm macro to replace it. I don't like to do macro's with full frames and will continue to do them apc's so the reason for a 90mm on this FE system for me is a bit more reach and the one or two portraits I may "have to do" every year (since my days way back in film doing events and such I have a serious aversion to "people" shots and go out of my way to avoid them in my images... but you know how family pressures can be when momma want's a pic of her darling grandchildren :( )

The CG 90 is such a lightweight sweet piece of glass that if it could auto focus well I just might be able to save some serious cash and be happy as I might of been with the OEM 90mm macro. Those that are using the CG90 and Techart III updated version on a7rII's what do you say? Does it AF fairly well and fast? Or should I just bite the bullet and spend the grand on the 90mm macro for my stated needs..... I am looking for AF options as I am a old coot and though manual focus is great on the Sony mirrorless bodies I sometimes wish I could just leave the focusing to the camera when time maybe a issue. $300 for a adapter beats near $1100 for a lens especially as with this body I see the system as more of a hike in scenic tool than a tool to use long glass on for things like BIF (the a77II handles long glass and fast AF extremely well for me and see no reason to change at this time)

V

Vivek

General question (OT):

Why don't techart (or anyone) make an M adapter with a build in helicoid?

V

Vivek

??? There are plenty of these. From the Voigtlander VM-E to the Hawks and many other choices on ebay. If by M you mean M mount to Sony E anyways.
Excuse me for that incomplete post.

I meant an adapter with built in helicoid and a servo motor so that it will do AF. ;)

(Basically what happens with the techart adapter and the G lenses )

Jim DE

I see B&H is listing this Deo Tech 3 adapter as a new product coming soon.... Wonder if it will come with the latest firmware... I am not very computer techno savy and if they have unclear instructions I might have issues to overcome.

What's with the setting the camera at one aperture and the lense at another? I watched a video with the golden eagle and a cg45 on a a7r2

Jim DE

Excuse me for that incomplete post.

I meant an adapter with built in helicoid and a servo motor so that it will do AF. ;)

(Basically what happens with the techart adapter and the G lenses )
Vivek that would be idea for using older A mount Minolta AF glass without a translucent mirror .. Interesting that no one does. Maybe Sony will?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I see B&H is listing this Deo Tech 3 adapter as a new product coming soon.... Wonder if it will come with the latest firmware... I am not very computer techno savy and if they have unclear instructions I might have issues to overcome.

What's with the setting the camera at one aperture and the lense at another? I watched a video with the golden eagle and a cg45 on a a7r2
Jim, You just need to set the camera to f/2.8 and then set the lens to the desired aperture. The documentation is not good. Read what Chad Wadsworth has written in his blog (see Carl's comments for link). I would be glad to help you if you PM'd me when you get it. Everyone here helped me get going when I got mine.

I am very happy with mine. The only thing that is oft-putting for me is that it is loud when it runs the screw drive, but I can live with it to have these nice lenses on A7II and A7rII.

Jim DE

Thanks Cindy..... did you order from a USA dealer or through their Ebay sales? I like the idea of a USA dealer to deal with but B&H have no idea when these will arrive in their store.

V

Vivek

Vivek that would be idea for using older A mount Minolta AF glass without a translucent mirror .. Interesting that no one does. Maybe Sony will?
Wouldn't that be nice? :)

May be Chad should push this with Sony.

Jim DE

Cindy B&H expects them 11/30/15.... but the fiasco I had with expected dates and the A mount version of the Tammy 150-600 that ended up 10 months later than their expected date I do not have much faith in expected dates.......

How long does it take to get one from MX camera in Hong Kong and how much BS did you have to go through ordering it direct.... seeing Chinese on a website and prices in their currency kinda makes the warning hairs on my neck stand up ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't that be nice? :)

May be Chad should push this with Sony.
Vivek it just makes sense ...... why not if they can do it with a Contax G screw drive? If I was running Deo Tech I would demand my engineers make it...... get in before Sony does.