The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

Jim DE

The focus on those images look very good Jim......

I just got a LA-EA1 sony A to E adapter and with a 70-400G1, Tammy 150-600, and Sigma 70-200 f2.8 I find focus doable but nowhere near the speed and accuracy I get on the SLT's with these lenses. This is especially true when the subjects are close to the minimum focus distances or very close. When the subject is out further the AF is faster and more accurate but still nowhere near the SLT speed and accuracy. If I need reach on stationary or slow moving targets they will work fine..... a wood duck taking flight is may be iffy. Never bought the a7rII for action shooting anyway ;)

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Pictures are worth more than a thousand words!!! Lovely

took my A7RII, 90mmG and techart AF adapter out for a spin. AF works great, set lens at 5.6, manual on the mode and shutter. size of this rig is perfect (had the excellent 100macro and sold it, no regrets)

grr...

scho

Just noticed today that there is now a firmware 2.2 update available. I installed it on the adapter but haven't noticed anything different yet.

yashima

Hi fellow Contax users,

Has any one tried the G 35-70/3.5-5.6 on Sony a7x? In the film days, it was never popular because it's quite slow. However with high ISO ability of Sony sensors, it could be very useful again. Its MTF chart is nothing short of spectacular. However I wonder if it suffers similar problems to the Biogons.

I would really love to hear some feedback about this lens. Its sharp, compact and of really useful focal length.

Annna T

Hi fellow Contax users,

Has any one tried the G 35-70/3.5-5.6 on Sony a7x? In the film days, it was never popular because it's quite slow. However with high ISO ability of Sony sensors, it could be very useful again. Its MTF chart is nothing short of spectacular. However I wonder if it suffers similar problems to the Biogons.

I would really love to hear some feedback about this lens. Its sharp, compact and of really useful focal length.
From what I have read, the zoom can't be mounted on the E-mount. It isn't a smart adapter question, but a general, physical one, if I remember correctly.
I wouldn't buy one of these lenses without being able to see whether it can be mounted on your adapter. My recollection is that the 90mm, 45mm, 35mm and 28mm can be mounted. In order to mount the 21mm you need to cut the plastic wings in the rear, while neither the 16mm nor the 35-70mm can be used. The 16mm can be mounted, but interferes with the shutter. One can mount it and use it on bodies having a silent shutter. I didn't dear to try : I fear that I may forget to set the camera in silent mode and break the shutter. Neither the 21mm nor the 28mm produce good results in the corners, so that isn't a great incentive to try.

To sum up : I don't have the 35-70 mm, so can't report first hand about it, but from what I have read, you can't mount it on a E or FE Sony mount.

yashima

From what I've read, it seems like there's a particular version that works with the zoom lens, the TA-GE1B. I'm not sure if thats right but there's an Ebay listing for it, and the owner said he has used it successfully with the zoom lens.

I'm really intrigued by this zoom lens, however seeing the rear element protrudes quite far into the camera body, I'm fearful it has the same corner problem as the Biogons.

V

Vivek

From what I've read, it seems like there's a particular version that works with the zoom lens, the TA-GE1B. I'm not sure if thats right but there's an Ebay listing for it, and the owner said he has used it successfully with the zoom lens.

I'm really intrigued by this zoom lens, however seeing the rear element protrudes quite far into the camera body, I'm fearful it has the same corner problem as the Biogons.
Slingers has shown pics shot with that zoom on an A7s.

Annna T

Slingers has shown pics shot with that zoom on an A7s.
The A7s has a silent mode too ? Or not ? With a silent mode it may work like the 16mm F8.

OT : Mmm.. I have to try that 16mm, at least once, now that I have an A7r2 with silent mode.

spence

How does the techart do with flare cause by adapter reflections with the 90mm?

Took delivery of a 90mm last week, and the flare is extremely bad with my cheapo MF fotodiox adapters on my A7R2. There doesn't even need to be a lightsource anywhere near the frame for it to happen.

Example:

Jim DE

Spence did your 90mm come with it's metal lens hood and slip on metal cap??? I shoot mine on a Kipon since the original NEX 5 and before that on my Contax G2 and never saw that sort of flare with my lens.

Annna T

Took delivery of a 90mm last week, and the flare is extremely bad with my cheapo MF fotodiox adapters on my A7R2. There doesn't even need to be a lightsource anywhere near the frame for it to happen.

Example:
Seems that your adapter has got a problem. I never had such huge flare with my 90mm.

spence

It came with the original screw on hood, about an inch and a half long, and that shot was taken with it on.

Doesn't seem to matter at all though. It's definitely not typical flare--sun doesn't need to be anywhere near the frame for it to happen, and can in fact be completely out of sight. Pretty wild.

Jim DE

Spence I agree with Annna... it has to be your adapter then unless you have a very poor protective filter on it which I seriously doubt.

I have lots of time with a Kipon and CG glass on digital and film camera's and your shot is a first time I have ever seen this with a CG lens. I have seen smearing and color shifts but never that sort of flare

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

Example:

I just took mine out in the bright sun and took several shots (with the sun in different positions). I did not have any flare.
I have A7r2, 90mm f/2.8 with OEM hood, teacart adapter. I agree that you might have a bad adapter.
I also used a different 90mm with manual adapter in the past on Nex5 and Nex7, as well as Contax film camera, and never saw this.