The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Techart adapter and Contax G question

yashima

This is how mine works: I use AFS and have focus on the back button AF/MF and focus magnify on C1 (focus is disabled on shutter). If i AF and then press the magnify, I get the "not available" message. If I AF and then move the MF wheel, then I can press C1 and get the magnify. I can press the shutter and continue to magnify for the next shot, as long as I don't press AF. If I use AF to get close, then I need to touch that MF wheel before magnifying.

Yes thanks Cindy, I just figured that out too. I need to touch the wheel a little bit then I can magnify it. Quite a strange implementation but it works.

k-hawinkler

Not that strange I think, considering in DMF/MF mode magnification is automatic for native AF lenses once you turn the focus ring. :facesmack:

yashima

Not that strange I think, considering in DMF/MF mode magnification is automatic for native AF lenses once you turn the focus ring. :facesmack:

The behaviour is quite different:

In DMF mode for native AF lenses, you half press the shutter for AF, and you need to keep this half press in order to fine tune using MF. And when fine tuning using MF, you can only have MF assist, not focus magnifier.

In AF-S mode for Contax lenses, you half press the shutter for AF, and you have to remove your finger from the shutter release to fine tune using MF wheel. When fine tuning using MF, you can have focus magnifier, not MF assist. And even focus magnifier you can only have when you have move the wheel a little bit, so effectively moving away from the AF point you have achieve.

So all in all, the difference is a little confusing (better word than "strange" I guess)

scho

Just got around to trying my new A6300 with the TechArt (DEO Tech) MK III adapter firmware 2.2. Works just fine with no problems using several Contax G lenses. PD AF is great and really nails focus in my tests so far. Three shots below using the Contax G 35mm f/2 Planar. Now using 3 adapted lens solutions on the A6300 with PD AF capability: TechArt III Contax G to E, LAE3 with Tamron 150-600, and Fringer III with Contax N 70-200 and 45-85 lenses. Soon will add TechArt Pro Leica M to E for a 4th solution. Nice having these AF options to use high quality old lenses on digital cameras.

f/2

f/5.6 (closer)

Indoor plant, f/5.6

Mark Muse

This is kind of an old thread, I see that. Is anyone using the CG35 on an A7r2? How is it? I have been using the CG90 and CG45 for years, so references to either of these will be meaningful. Is the coverage (color shading in particular) good? Imaging style?

On another note, I have Kipon manual adapters for these lenses after trying the Metabones and Fotodiox manual adapters, and I am very happy with them. They damp the focus really well. Focus throw is a bit short, but this is about as close to a good helicoid lens as I can imagine getting with a screw drive.

scho

This is kind of an old thread, I see that. Is anyone using the CG35 on an A7r2? How is it? I have been using the CG90 and CG45 for years, so references to either of these will be meaningful. Is the coverage (color shading in particular) good? Imaging style?

On another note, I have Kipon manual adapters for these lenses after trying the Metabones and Fotodiox manual adapters, and I am very happy with them. They damp the focus really well. Focus throw is a bit short, but this is about as close to a good helicoid lens as I can imagine getting with a screw drive.
I used the CG35 on the A7RII with the TA adapter. Worked fine and one of my favorite lenses. Few samples below from 3 yrs ago