The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII - Phase detection points not visible with native lenses

TriElmar

Hi,

Here is my first question on GetDPI: I only see the green small phase detection points if I use the Metabones IV adapter with Canon EF lenses (PhaseDect. Area On/Off in the menu does not change this habit) but not with the native Sony lenses (1,8/55, 2,8/35, 4/24-70). The firmware of these lenses is (now) Version 2.

Is this normal or what am I missing? I called the Sony support (two different persons) but the have absolutly no clue. They don´t even know what the native lenses are and only can read the manual. This says, ask Sony which lenses support phase detection. So I did ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

JJ

Hi,

Here is my first question on GetDPI: I only see the green small phase detection points if I use the Metabones IV adapter with Canon EF lenses (PhaseDect. Area On/Off in the menu does not change this habit) but not with the native Sony lenses (1,8/55, 2,8/35, 4/24-70). The firmware of these lenses is (now) Version 2.

Is this normal or what am I missing? I called the Sony support (two different persons) but the have absolutly no clue. They don´t even know what the native lenses are and only can read the manual. This says, ask Sony which lenses support phase detection. So I did ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

JJ
The A7RM2 automatically chooses between contrast or phase detection points when using FE lenses. In Single AF it always uses the first option. With DSLR lenses you can manually choose phase detection mode and therefore the camera sometimes focuses a little faster in Single AF mode with adapted lenses than with FE lenses.

In Continuous AF, the camera uses a mix of both. You know that is using phase detection when the little green squares appear on the EVF.