The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7Rll Sensor Cleaning

vjbelle

What is effective for wet cleaning or to remove stubborn spots? I'm sure many would appreciate input. I'm a little concerned about the fact that the sensor does actually move but I can't imagine that it isn't designed for surface cleaning by contact.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Eclipse and sensor swabs type 3 by photographic solutions works for me on all of the A7 series. I'd also use visible dust 1x swabs as an alternative.

no need to worry about the ibis just so long as you don't try scrubbing the sensor cover glass as if scrubbing the floor ... :thumbdown:

Last edited:

NoBob

Is it?

Product Advisory: Sony’s proprietary coating technology on its mirrorless cameras might cause the Sensor Gel Stick to leave some residue on the surface of the sensor filter, which will require thorough wet cleaning. The residue can be removed with a wet cleaning solution, but might take significant effort to clean it. Therefore, we recommend that you do NOT use the Sensor Gel Stick on Sony mirrorless cameras listed below. The manufacturer of the Sensor Gel Stick is working on a different solution to clean Sony sensors, so we are planning to start offering a Sony-specific version of the Sensor Gel Stick soon.

Here is the list of Sony camera models that are affected: Sony A7R, Sony A7, Sony A5000, Sony A6000, Sony NEX-7, Sony NEX-6, Sony NEX-5 (all models), Sony NEX-3 (all models). We have not heard of any other reports regarding other brand cameras.

Bluebird

In case it is of any help, I have also had confirmation from Dust Aid that their Dust Aid Platinum product is safe for use on Sony sensors. I have used it for years with the Canon and can be a good step between the Rocket Blower and full wet clean.

As an aside, I converted from a regular blower to this filtered one a few years ago - a marked decrease in the crap that gets bedded into the glass surface. I found it especially effective when you have to clean it in the field. Marked difference between it and my old one in such environments.

http://www.kohglobal.com/JetAir.html

JMaher

Do you use it personally ? And what are your experiences with it ? I read all the comments and reviews and found that many were sounding like marketing hype : too good to be true ? Also found and read about the Sony special stick, but what succeeded makes me a little suspicious.
I used it on the A7r and A7II. Very easy to use and seemed to pick up all the visible dust. I suspect wet cleaning might be necessary if there was something difficult to remove.

Jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to wet clean mine after this road trip. I usually use eclipse and sensor swaps. I use canned air but I don't recommend it to novices that have not done this often. I have done tons of wet cleanings, I do it a lot on workshops and clean everyone's sensors if folks are a little gun shy on doing it.

Jim DE

Guy, I use the avoidance process..... I avoid changing my lenses as much as possible while out and about ;)

I use a filtered blower and artic brush if necessary. My wet cleaning (twice in all these years) I sent to Sony out and back in a week for free with their wall to wall extended warranties. This pro service plan gives free cleanings as part of its service but I have not used this service yet as its done at their third party repair service and their track record over the years is a concern to me. Maybe I should give wet cleaning a try next time myself.

vjbelle

I've yet to ever have a sensor that didn't need some attention after time..... and I'm also fairly careful. I'm going to try the stick.... talk about making money!!

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, I use the avoidance process..... I avoid changing my lenses as much as possible while out and about ;)

I use a filtered blower and artic brush if necessary. My wet cleaning (twice in all these years) I sent to Sony out and back in a week for free with their wall to wall extended warranties. This pro service plan gives free cleanings as part of its service but I have not used this service yet as its done at their third party repair service and their track record over the years is a concern to me. Maybe I should give wet cleaning a try next time myself.
Yea I change lenses a lot. This trip to Iowa i must have changed lenses at least 50 times. Mostly the 85 and 200. I used the 15mm for a couple shots and the Batis 25 hardly at all but I did get my killer shot with the 35mm 1.4. Ill post it in the fun with Sony. I mean killer. LOL

First Im going to wet clean. The trick is a light amount of Eclipse and try do go in one direction only. I blow out the box first that wet clean and blow again. I don't have a video

GrahamWelland

You know, I've never quite understood the abject terror/paranoia that some people have about cleaning a sensor ... It's an admittedly small pane of glass covering the actual sensor and all it takes is the same level of care as you'd use washing a baby's head/behind ...

There are many many videos on the internet that show how to do it. Get yourself a rocket blower (and btw keep it clean), blow any dust particles off the sensor as the first stage - with the camera off and preferably with the lens mount pointing down so that gravity can assist. Most times that's all that is needed beyond the built in sensor cleaning mode.

If you need a wet clean then put a couple of drops of eclipse fluid on a sensor swab and as Guy mentioned, gently swipe across the sensor from left to right (or vice versa). If necessary flip the sensor swab and repeat the process in the other direction in a single swipe. Don't over do the amount of eclipse fluid. You may see it leave behind a very fine film after each swipe but that'll instantly evaporate off. Normally that's it ... If not, repeat with a fresh sensor swab.

I've been doing this for many many years with every camera system I've owned from the Nikon D1-D810 (the D3x was an uber dust magnet), through Leicas, medium format backs, Fujis, Sonys, crop frames, full frames, pretty much anything with a removable lens or body. Just make sure that you use the correct sized swab for the sensor. Heck, in an emergency I've even used a credit card/hotel room key card and a Zeiss eye glasses wet wipe ... (No, please don't take that as a recommendation - it was an emergency).

The good news is that with today's cameras with dust removal tech built in its not often needed to do anything beyond a puff of air from a rocket blower. I typically only have to wet clean if there are things like moisture artifacts and sticky dust spots.

Viramati

I have used the eyelead Sony specific stick on the A7 and A7s and haven't needed to use it yet on the A7rII. Had bad experience with the Dust aid Platinum on the Leica M9 and won't use it again. Have used the standard Eyelead on my Leica's for years with no problems and the occasional wet clean.
For me prevention is always best:-
1. Use a filtered blower
2. Keep lens caps clean
3. Keep backs of lens clean
4. Try to always change lens with body facing down
5. Try not to change lens outside in windy dust environments (obviously not always possible)

I have the Sony specific gel stick and it has worked flawlessly on my Nikon D600, Leica T and Olympus E-M1.
That being said it left a residue on my Sony A6000 and I had to resort to a wet cleaning with sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. It took four tries and two swabs but now the sensor is as clean as the others.
YMMV.

GrahamWelland

6. Always turn off the camera before changing lenses. The sensor is slightly charged when on and can attract dust. (Also you can kill a lens/body if the lens contacts cross on the body, particularly an image stabilized one - I've seen it kill a big Nikon VR prime before)

Jim DE

Graham, I guess it's all the horror stories we see on the net when they wet cleaned or used the wrong sticky tool that stops many from doing it. I have never wet cleaned myself as my eyes are not great and my hands are not too steady anymore. I guess if I had to I could do it but I can just call Sony, get a label, and ship it out and have it tuned and cleaned in 3-5 days for free. Seems like a no brainer for me.... I have plenty of backup gear to use while it's away.