The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Today's Lightroom CC update seems a little crashy

I installed the update this morning, on a system running OS X El Capitan, and it takes forever to launch and won't quit when I tell it to.

Anyone else having trouble with it?

(I'm about to try a remove and reinstall.)

Godfrey

It is sad to see how difficult Adobe has made installing and managing their products.

G

kimbrunstudio

Anyone thinking of updating might want to read this thread too, http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27935.0

I personally am having several issues with the updates and Adobe. On our Macs, LR CC 2015.2 will not close. You have to use "Force Quit". As I noted in the other thread, Adobe has not fixed the RGB value bug. Means we still can not use LR CC 2015 or LR 6 for studio work. We need accurate numbers for all the values we check.

I addition, after updating my LR 6 copy at home, all my Adobe software "lost" their registration links or ??? Before I could use any of my Adobe software, I was required to sign into my account and re-enter all my serial numbers. Odd! Never had to do this with an update before. Maybe they do not like criticism?

iiiNelson

I thought everyone was supposed to use C1? :confused:
Not for 3 months until after Phase One can find the time to patch their software for peons... Everyone knows pros don't like the newest tools or updates. If you like technological improvements then there's no way that you can be a pro... According to some.

Godfrey

So ... I updated LR to 6.2 on my secondary system (running El Capitan, of course) to see what I can see. Won't be able to do much with it until I get home this evening.

But ...

Revamped Import

We redesigned the Import experience to make finding and importing your photos easier and more visual. The redesign was driven by our desire to make the import workflow more explicit and clear. The workflow is 1. Select a source, 2. Select images 3. Choose any import settings (optional) and 4. Import.

The revamped Import experience is based on customer feedback and we’re excited to hear what you think.

• Select a Source: There is a new “Add Photos” screen which scans to identify the potential locations for photos on your hard drive. You can also easily select from a folder, a connected camera (via USB cable), a memory card, external hard drive, or Photoshop Elements catalog.
  • Select images: The Import Dialog has been redesigned. Your source will already be selected (you choose it in step 1) so you can specify which images to import. We recommend importing all.
  • Choose any import settings (optional): While there isn’t a need to change the default settings, you can open the gear icon (on the top right) to adjust and change import settings.
  • Hit the import button.
I looked at it. What do I think? What a piece of dung. Stupidifying software for people who refuse to understand anything about their computer workflow is everything I hate about the modern trends in software design.

The import workflow from Lightroom 1 through 6.1.1 did exactly what I wanted. Lr 6.2 now tries to do everything I hated about iPhoto's import workflow.

Bleck.
G

dandrewk

This is a known issue, and Adobe is very aware. They are working on a real fix, not the outrageous "work around" which involves turning off graphics adapter support. As to why this happened, well there isn't really any good excuse, but Adobe isn't the only one having difficulties with El Capitan. It's like they didn't get the developer previews from Apple.

In the meantime, best to keep or roll back to 6.1.1 until they fix it.

dandrewk

So ... I updated LR to 6.2 on my secondary system (running El Capitan, of course) to see what I can see. Won't be able to do much with it until I get home this evening.

But ...

I looked at it. What do I think? What a piece of dung. Stupidifying software for people who refuse to understand anything about their computer workflow is everything I hate about the modern trends in software design.

The import workflow from Lightroom 1 through 6.1.1 did exactly what I wanted. Lr 6.2 now tries to do everything I hated about iPhoto's import workflow.

Bleck.
G
I'll have to disagree with you here. I didn't mind the new import dialogue while I had 6.2. The dialogue is changed somewhat, but all the same features are there as before. It's a learning curve for those of used to the "old" version, but it appears to be more intuitive to newer users.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Unfortunately LR6.2 is pretty crashy on El Capitan and MB Pro 17"

Hope they fix it soon!

Viramati

Has anyone upgraded on Yosemite and had any problems. I tend not to upgrade to new apple software for at least a few months after release.
After reading more posts elsewhere on this upgrade (or maybe more to the point downgrade) it would appear best to avoid it until sorted.

gazwas

Has anyone upgraded on Yosemite and had any problems. I tend not to upgrade to new apple software for at least a few months after release.
After reading more posts elsewhere on this upgrade (or maybe more to the point downgrade) it would appear best to avoid it until sorted.
Lightroom CC 2015.2 works fine on Yosemite and have used it extensively over the last few days since the update without a single hitch.

The new import window is much more to my liking and IMO is a lot more slick and simple to use than the unnecessarily complex previous version. Importing into the catalogue should be as simple as possible ......... BOSH, Done! That's what I like so much about the new way.

Godfrey

Hmm. I just find it irritating to waste screen space and options on stuff like "hunt through my account and find all the photos" that I will never, ever use. And all the possibilities for error they imply...

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I upgraded from Yosemite 2 days ago, all is working fine, except that LR6.2 hick ups ....

Godfrey

What do I think? What a piece of dung. ...
Okay, finally had a little time to spend some close and personal moments with 6.2.

- In a half hour session, it crashed eight times. Absolutely unacceptable.
- The more I use the new import mechanism, the more I loathe it.

It isn't logical: you set the source on one screen, the destination on an entirely different screen, the settings only show themselves when you look for them. You cannot look over the whole import process at once and see the flow of the data. Selecting a subset of what photos to import from a large body of photos is a misery ... you can't see them by destination, etc etc. Totally sucks, so much functionality lost to make the computer stupid happy. Grr.

I'll be skipping this version.

G

frozenbb

Okay, finally had a little time to spend some close and personal moments with 6.2.

- In a half hour session, it crashed eight times. Absolutely unacceptable.
- The more I use the new import mechanism, the more I loathe it.

It isn't logical: you set the source on one screen, the destination on an entirely different screen, the settings only show themselves when you look for them. You cannot look over the whole import process at once and see the flow of the data. Selecting a subset of what photos to import from a large body of photos is a misery ... you can't see them by destination, etc etc. Totally sucks, so much functionality lost to make the computer stupid happy. Grr.

I'll be skipping this version.

G
From early reviews I didn't think it could possibly be this annoying; but you're right, it's horrible. Time to downgrade to previous, I'm afraid. What was Adobe thinking, exactly?