The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer to launch tiny E-mount lenses ? Full frame ?

Slingers

This is great news. The benefit of exif and auto magnification is a real selling point for me. I predict a lot of people will get the 10mm and for me that's the real interesting lens in this announcement, can't wait to see the tests from the early adopters.

Zlatko Batistich

The 10mm must look absolutely crazy! Would be fun to try.

I like that they had to find a different word to describe each step wider: Super — Ultra — Hyper. :)

Godfrey

Hmm. No interest in E-mount anymore, but this:

VM-Mount
Voigtländer continues its VM-Mount digital optimization with the new 12 mm F 5,6 Ultra-Wide-Heliar III. Additionally Voigtländer will also release the new 10 mm F 5,6 Hyper-Wide-Heliar with VM-Mount.

sounds very amusing. I might have to try the 10mm ...

f=10mm
AoV-H=121.89°
AoV-V=100.39°
AoV-D=130.38°

and AoV-D=90° (a 20-21 mm lens) seemed ultra, ultra wide once upon a time!

:)

G

jfirneno

voigtlaender announces e-mount lenses

• 10 mm F 5,6 Hyper-Wide-Heliar
• 12 mm F 5,6 Ultra-Wide-Heliar
• 15 mm F 4,5 Super-Wide-Heliar

Nice!

Looks like I'll be re-buying the 12mm for the 4th time.
Mike:
I've only had a short chance to work with the M-mount 12mm adapted to an FE camera. I compared it to the 12-24 Sigma and thought it was pretty good for such a wide lens. Since you've used it a bunch of times I'd be very interested in getting your take on it. Can you share your thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses?

Since you've used it a bunch of times I'd be very interested in getting your take on it. Can you share your thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses?
I first used the 12mm on a Leica M9, coded to use the camera's built-in corrections which overcame (mostly) its vignetting and color shading. But it was a hassle, because it required an external viewfinder. So I sold it.

When I got a M240, with its rudimentary EVF, I decided to try again. Nice results, but still requiring post processing to deal with its limitations. I didn't use it much, so sold it again.

Most recently, I used one with an A7S, which was a lovely combination, especially now that Lightroom has a profile for the lens. When the A7Rii arrived, it was even better; the new sensor seems much better matched to the lens. But again it didn't get used very much, and now that I have all native lenses, I missed having EXIF data from the lens. So, sold again.

This newly announced version, featuring the 'version III' treatment should have none of the edge challenges of the current model, and the addition of electronics for EXIF and focus magnification sounds like the perfect combination. (although you barely need to focus that lens; everything is always in focus.)

The 12mm, as well as the 10mm, are rather specialized tools, but for some shots they are fantastic.

This one with the A7S
Indian God of Peace in courthouse.jpg

This one on the M9
Capri.jpg

One with the A7Rii

jfirneno

Most recently, I used one with an A7S, which was a lovely combination, especially now that Lightroom has a profile for the lens. When the A7Rii arrived, it was even better; the new sensor seems much better matched to the lens. But again it didn't get used very much, and now that I have all native lenses, I missed having EXIF data from the lens. So, sold again.

This newly announced version, featuring the 'version III' treatment should have none of the edge challenges of the current model, and the addition of electronics for EXIF and focus magnification sounds like the perfect combination. (although you barely need to focus that lens; everything is always in focus.)

The 12mm, as well as the 10mm, are rather specialized tools, but for some shots they are fantastic.

This one with the A7S
View attachment 113159

This one on the M9
View attachment 113160
Mike:
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes it's definitely a specialized usage lens. Very dramatic. Those shots really show the kinds of shots where this lens provides something unique.
Couple of questions:
1) With repsect to the lightroom profile, does it matter if the lens is used on a Sony camera or a Leica?
2) Is the profile for chromatic aberrration and distortion?

1) With repsect to the lightroom profile, does it matter if the lens is used on a Sony camera or a Leica?
2) Is the profile for chromatic aberrration and distortion?
1 - If I understand it correctly, there are actually different profiles applied by Lightroom, depending on the camera. You just choose the lens and LR will do the right thing.

2 - Yes, but the primary effect is to remove vignetting in the corners, which is pretty strong. (varies with the specific camera.)

iiiNelson

I hope this mean we will soon see the entire Voigtlander VM lens line optimized for E-mount. I wouldn't mind having a native 35/1.2 Nokton on my Sony with full EXIF intact. It was one of my favorite "street" and low light lenses on my M9. Probably the closest anyone has gotten to a "35 Noctilux."

I wouldn't mind if they recreated the cropped sensored f/0.95 series (21, 35, 50, and 85 equivalents) either for full frame as long as they kept them to sub-$2,000 prices. Yes I know they wouldn't be "tiny" but they could be interesting for those of us that walked away from Leica and still like manual focus lenses at times.

V

Vivek

I hope this mean we will soon see the entire Voigtlander VM lens line optimized for E-mount. I wouldn't mind having a native 35/1.2 Nokton on my Sony with full EXIF intact. It was one of my favorite "street" and low light lenses on my M9. Probably the closest anyone has gotten to a "35 Noctilux."

I wouldn't mind if they recreated the cropped sensored f/0.95 series (21, 35, 50, and 85 equivalents) either for full frame as long as they kept them to sub-$2,000 prices. Yes I know they wouldn't be "tiny" but they could be interesting for those of us that walked away from Leica and still like manual focus lenses at times.
Tre, I would love that but I am not certain that will happen. Unfortunately, zeiss use Cosina to build all their lenses and dictate what gets made. Likely, they would not let Cosina make a Tuit or Pelvis competitor. The end of APO Lanthar 125/2.5 is rumored to have been a result of Zeiss/Cosina 100/2 Macro Planar.

jfirneno

Tre:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did just that. Apparently the FE market is growing and growth is rare in today's photo market. Funny thing is now that there are FE and FE G and FE Zeiss and Loxia and Batis and Voigtlander and Mitakon here (or on the way) I feel like I can wait a little and be real choosy. For instance I am interested in the Loxia 21 and the Voigtlanders. But I think I'll wait until all the relevant reviews are in before buying. And even then I might rent to be sure. Ain't it great to have choices.

iiiNelson

Tre, I would love that but I am not certain that will happen. Unfortunately, zeiss use Cosina to build all their lenses and dictate what gets made. Likely, they would not let Cosina make a Tuit or Pelvis competitor. The end of APO Lanthar 125/2.5 is rumored to have been a result of Zeiss/Cosina 100/2 Macro Planar.
You may be correct but it would seem that FE lens production could take precedence over VM lens production seeing how many M users ultimately move towards Leica lenses which puts plenty of Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses on the market. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see many of the faster Zeiss and Voigtlander M variants wind up with FE optimized versions.

sbay

How much are these supposed to cost? I didn't see a price on either the announcement or the preorder page.

jfirneno

How much are these supposed to cost? I didn't see a price on either the announcement or the preorder page.
No pricing available yet. The M-mount 12mm is about $700 (US), but I'm guessing the e-mount versions will be more. Just don't have a guess how much more.