The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

ohnri

Well, it looks amazing.

Built in EVF, 42MP BSI sensor, variable low pass filter, phase detection AF, uncompressed RAW ...

I did not even know I WANTED a variable low pass filter.

Sony is pushing the technology. And I like it.

-Bill

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's really nice but the price is stupid at 3300. A A7rII is 3200

But I would love to have just can't justify the amount

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Color me jealous . I just can't justify it with my current system needs. I do want it though. I mean I really want it. Lol

Frits

Sony was the only game in town for this kind of camera since 2013.
Leica threw the gauntlet earlier this year and it looks like Sony picked it up! Just in time for Leica's October 25 announcement also ;) .
This is fun!!

BTW, I love my RX1r (lightweight backup to my Nikon DSLR main system) and it will stay right where it is.

V

Vivek

EVF and tilt LCD makes it more attractive than the RX1.

HOWEVER...

Is it still lossy or would it offer lossless RAWs?

4season

*Yawn* another groundbreaking product from Sony :roll eyes: Kidding!

I don't know that the price is too high: It's literally in a class by itself, and I suspect that will still be the case 24 months from now unless Sony themselves improve upon it before then. Carry a couple of extra batteries though.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm not saying that I won't get one eventually :)facesmack:) but to be honest there's not much that I want beyond my RX1R other than the tiltable LCD (or IBIS if it had it). 42mp and the other tech goodies are nice but for my use with the current RX1R they aren't necessary. I hate to say it but 24mp is already 'sufficient' for my small travel camera. IBIS would make it more interesting. The EVF is nice but I already have the external one with my RX1R.

Now if it had been the 50mp 44x33mm CMOS sensor in a small package, sort of like a smaller Mamiya 7, I could be more tempted.

Kudos to Sony for continuing to support this niche. If you want a 35/2 Zeiss travel camera with a mini A7RII on it then this looks wonderful. :thumbup:

In the meantime, I'll wait and buy an early adopter's camera in a few months in mint unused condition when their novelty has worn off ...

Last edited:

msadat

big question is what is leica is going to do? sony is going after everybody and leica is the smallest of the bunch, they roll out leica q with 24 meg and sony rolls out a 42 meg with a nice ziess lens that costs less!

msadat

another issue with this camera as it is with the rx1 is the battery life, i wish they had updated the size a bit for a bigger battery and of course it does not come with a battery charger!! the a7rii ships with two batteries so how many do we need for this one?

biglouis

I have an order in for the Leica Q. Well, they take so long to get one it seems silly not to.

But like Lucille (above) I was waiting to see if the RX1 series was a dead end or not.

Well done Sony, this looks like a stunner.

It really is a no brainer for me, if only I can find a site in the UK to pre-order.

Only problem is I pre-ordered a Loxia 2.8/21 today.

I think I'm going to have to stick with my CV 1.8/21 for a little bit longer...

LouisB

- - - Updated - - -

another issue with this camera as it is with the rx1 is the battery life, i wish they had updated the size a bit for a bigger battery and of course it does not come with a battery charger!! the a7rii ships with two batteries so how many do we need for this one?
With my old RX1 I invested in an Expro double charger and two Expro OEM batteries. The batteries are so tiny that I was never seriously inconvenienced or out of power even carrying three (including the one in the camera).

I'm with you on this one. I'll wait till the price hits the floorboards
That is what I have always been waiting for with the RX1R for the last year given the poor performance of the Zeiss 35/2.8 but surprisingly (maybe not?) they have never really come down in price below the 2 grand asking her in the UK. And believe me I have been checking regularly. There is a current offer of a wopping GBP 200 rebate on the existing RX1R but again this only brings it down to just sub 2K in the stores I have checked out. You might have to wait longer than you think.

LouisB