The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

bipbip

Looks like Sony fixed ALL issues I found except for a short battery life.
Actually I think they're right about using the same little battery across all their models. Many have more than one Sony camera and with one interchangeable battery it makes life much easier. Also bear in mind that bigger battery means inevitably bigger and heavier camera. Unless you're a machine gunner, 300 shots before stopping to change a battery; what, 30 seconds? Can't be such a bind.
With 35mm film it was every 36 shots, medium format, even more frequently. I do think popping a couple of small batteries in a pocket is well worth the difference.

UHDR

one thing still baffles me. that super high res EVF in leica Q..... as far as i know, not that many manufacturers out there that make high res EVF-type display.... so i wonder why sony held back and not follow suit. but whats even more interesting is that not alot of big people make a big deal out of that even in glowingly positive leica Q review. the 2m dot EVF has been around for some time and it's probably one of the last thing that hasnt been upgraded since NEX-7 days. yea, i know the video feed from sensor has greatly improved and also refresh rate as seen on A6000 but in the name of chasing pixels...shouldnt the 3m dot EVF be pushed forward too. on A7rII may be building cost is the restriction, but on RX1rII, really?

raist3d

Ha, I hadn't considered the problems of shooting 42 MP, really getting that detail considering no IBIS/blur....

- Ricardo

V

Vivek

Ha, I hadn't considered the problems of shooting 42 MP, really getting that detail considering no IBIS/blur....

- Ricardo
Why would that be a problem considering the high pixel 1", m43 and such sensor cams out there?

Hulyss Bowman

Was waiting (forever) Ricoh to announce the Pentax FF... then Sony announce this one. It is a pretty powerful versatile camera especially for landscape and street and the EVF (even if I do not like it) is a pretty essential addition for this kind of device. The new AF, the sensor, the EVF, the lens... a pretty overkill camera for most of us. In some months the price will be lower. Grey market on such device is less risky than on DSLR (less moving parts).

Good job sony.

Sold my original RX1 yesterday to a local friend so hopefully he will let me borrow it back to do a comparison when the new model arrives.

For me it ticks off all of my wish list items so this is a no-brainer purchase. The original gave so much joy and satisfaction and still stands as my favorite Sony body but having fast PDAF, a built-in EVF, tilt screen, wifi and the variable low-pass filter is too much to pass up.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Does anyone know whether it has a 50mm crop mode?
It does I believe. They state clear/smart zoom of 1.4x, 2x and digital zoom of 4x, 6.2x & 8x (but you could just crop in post anyway).

I do like the sound of the new 1:1 and 4:3 image ratios too.

Ok, that's it, I'm putting this thread on ignore ... :ROTFL:

jim251

I'm definitely in for this camera.

My two biggest complaints about my RX1R is the fiddly EVF (aargh) and the non-tilting screen (double-aargh) - both of which significantly hamper the usability of the camera. I endured these aspects just to get to the magic that the camera is capable of. So, I couldn't avoid this upgrade if I tried - and am really glad Sony is bringing it on...

lambert

maybe but if it handles anything like my A7rII or RX100III it will be a competent camera but lacking the easy of control that the Leica Q has.
How so? The Sony has an aperture ring, shutter speed dial and exposure compensation dial. Importantly, the Sony has a tilting LCD screen. The fixed LCD on the Q is next to useless in bright outdoor conditions.

Godfrey

big question is what is leica is going to do? sony is going after everybody and leica is the smallest of the bunch, they roll out leica q with 24 meg and sony rolls out a 42 meg with a nice ziess lens that costs less!
I suspect Leica is going to keep producing Leica cameras, not Sonys. ]'-)

Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

G

GrahamWelland

Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

G
Which is fine because obviously you aren't the target market for this camera. I would think though that anybody who shoots a digital Leica M with just a 35mm lens on it is probably exactly the type of person who this would appeal to and as you can read on this forum that there are quite a few of us who do fall in to the target demographic and either already have such type of camera or want one.

Unfortunately I am one of those people ... dammit, ordered one today :cool:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly you can be a fanboy of any brand but the end of day Sony is after market share and they are extremely agressive about it. They are after your favorite toy without excuses. You can say what you will but this cam is pointed straight at Leica and it wants to eat it for lunch. For me this makes no sense to buy it but I'm not the targeted audience. For me it's a business case that don't add up real well for the hobbyist on the other hand that wants a camera to run out the door get the same high quality from there A7rII in a tiny package is having folks pee there pants over it. Folks are selling there Sony 35 1.4 to partial fund this and just fit this in the middle of there system. You can piss and moan all you want about Sony even hate them but they are getting in your face with product that at some point you can't deny anymore. I'm seeing on other fora sales of the Older model and the 35 1.4 that are filling the sales broad.

That speaks volumes. I even think it's priced to high but regardless they are getting ordered. It's about sales folks. I'm a little baffled by it but nice to see a big spark over it. I want one too don't get me wrong, buts more a luxury than a need for me.

philip_pj

Bearing in mind it is for me a surreptitious use camera, one of the pleasures of the RX1 is the tilt EVF - you can appear to be fooling around with the camera, tourist style, while setting up the next shot. And subjects can still see your face. The little popup EVF looks pretty naff, and is not needed as the camera is tiny and would be even with an a7 series style hump.

I've done whole trips using the RX1 for 50-60% so it definitely works for a broad range of use cases. Quite a few film era greats used a 35mm exclusively. I'm sure this one will deliver the goods big time, best sensor and best 35 lens. Funny they are still worried about moire enough to put in a control, I thought that was one reason behind the 42mp sensor decision? By my count it's Sony's seventh full frame camera in two years - two versions of each a7, now this one. They sure believe in rapid iteration, and even took away the 14 bit RAW moan, took that right off the table. Still make 'imitation cameras' though, according to the self-appointed cognoscenti. ;-)

GrahamWelland

I'm with Phillip_pj in that I've done quite a number of trips with just my RX1R because I can put it in a wrap and stow it in my laptop backpack. The current RX1R if I'm honest is all the quality I need. The new version with EVF and potentially cleaner high ISO (and ok, I'll take those extra 20mp) pretty much did it for me. The pop up viewfinder is nice too because whilst I live with the current EVF on top (and probably should have just got the optical one), it is a pain to pack as it'll pop off easily and increases the size of the camera.

As an amateur with no rational reason to justify ANYTHING, I think that it's a winner on paper. I can't imagine it being worse than my current RX1R and I'll have a couple of weeks after it arrives to decide if it's the one to keep or not.

As Guy and Godfrey both say though, no it won't make sense to a lot of people but to those of us that the current one does, I think that Sony should be applauded for keeping us as a target market even if only to prove out their technology to show what they can do. :thumbs:

Btw, Sony always used to have completely irrational aspirational products in their camera and consumer electronics lines that were prohibitively expensive, impractical for day to day use, but so very very appealing to anyone who wanted the current state of the art or perhaps even pushed it a little beyond practicality.

I'd still like the medium format 50mp CMOS version though :grin:

4season

Here's a compact full-frame camera with eye level finder and classic lines that I won't be paying for until next spring:

I don't know about you guys, but I am not finding $3300 in change beneath my sofa cushions. Of course it might help if I owned a sofa (details).