The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

V

Vivek

Thank god this has a 35mm lens (my least favorite focal length). I just might be able to resist.

The Leica Q, on the other hand, with its lovely 28mm lens, continues to sing its siren song. :cry:
Mike, Without its lens correction the R2X1R may be close to a 28mm.

The Q would be even wider.

Lucille

Why 2? TIA.

I often bring my family with me on our photo adventures around the State, and I often put some cutting edge technology in the hands of my grand children. We often shoot as a family.
I like teaching the young ones how to see the World through a 35mm perspective.

That and the other reason, because the Hepkitty can!:bugeyes:

Lucille

Companies like Sony, if their goal is to dominate the market, will be the undoing of photography. Why? Because they're not really focused on the production of improved cameras to create improved photographs so much as on the output of product to generate more money ... for them, not photographers or photography. They need to sell, sell, sell more and more of them to keep the hamster wheel going. (And they're markedly not doing very well at that in the past couple of years...)

And as good ol Sony is 'undoing' photography, I will be having a blast with their products.

Keep undoing Sony, I have my pom pom's on and I'll be with you all the way to the bottom.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If anyone thinks Leica is not after market share than your very sadly mistaken. Shareholders want profit. Sony is selling everything they make. Sure a few mistakes along the way but I'll stick with a company that keeps giving me these options and keeps adding lenses to there line to grow it. These are products that I can afford not second mortgage my home.

V

Vivek

And as good ol Sony is 'undoing' photography, I will be having a blast with their products.

Keep undoing Sony, I have my pom pom's on and I'll be with you all the way to the bottom.
Leica rebadging Panasonic's cameras with a red dot for a higher price tag is undoing photography. Them rebadging Olympus EVF and selling it for an atrocious price is undoing photography. Lenny Scratched edition is undoing... well the list is endless. :LOL:

raist3d

I think (?) that if you shoot raws plus jpegs, you may get the cropped image in the VF and a full raw, with the crop frame that you can either confirm or change although this may depends upon the raw converter used), then discard the jpeg.

BTW : the E-M5 does this too.
Hi Anna - it looks like according to the manuals I am seeing, you can't engage smart zoom on the Sony if you have RAW or JPEG + RAW. Also the E-M5 doesn't do what I am asking- the E-M5 will do this when you choose different aspect ratios. What I am asking is different crop modes for different fields of view.

The Ricoh GR does this and the RAW is written so that when you open it in most raw converters it opens with ONLY the crop from the get go - and this is a workflow time saver though I am ok if it record the entire RAW as long as I can compose in "50mm, 70mm" fields of view on the live view.

- Ricardo

raist3d

I'm not really a fanboy of any brand. What benefit to me is the notion that Sony "is after market share and extremely aggressive about it"? I can't see that Sony aggressively obtaining some fancy numbers in market share affects my photography at all.

I guess if you're after producing poster-sized prints most of the time, the hyper-pixel-count has some benefit. But, you're not going to get the coupling of FoV and DoF that you do with a medium format capture. It's still just going to be a 35mm camera's digital image, albeit at very high resolution.

I hope all of you who are buying one find it terrific. I'll look forward to seeing all the fantastic photographs, while I sit back on the sidelines and keep doing my thing. :watch:

G
I don't understand this post. Nobody is suggesting you should buy an R1RMKII or that you shouldn't stop doing your thing. You sure like your Leica and someone could have made the exact same comment. There's more uses to the 42 MP than just doing hyper poster printing. For me it's about having more focal lengths in a compact single lens prime camera.

- Ricardo

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect Leica is going to keep producing Leica cameras, not Sonys. ]'-)

Absolutely zero interest in the "Rx1r2" for me, regardless of price. I'm sure it's a nice camera; why anyone wants one remains a mystery to me.

G
That's exactly what some people say of buying a Leica. (note: that's not me, just making a point).

- Ricardo

Lucille

In honor if this occasion and the Sony undoing of photography, here is a image from the original Rx1 captured at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park.

I look forward to the Rx1R mII.

raist3d

AFA the Leica Q, it has crop modes like FF 24Mp for 28mm, 15MP for 35mm and 8MP for 50mm. If you change your mind later, one can revert back to the full 24MP 28mm image.
That's the kind of thing I am looking for. I want to see the R1RMKII with this.

- Ricardo

Godfrey

If anyone thinks Leica is not after market share than your very sadly mistaken. Shareholders want profit. Sony is selling everything they make. Sure a few mistakes along the way but I'll stick with a company that keeps giving me these options and keeps adding lenses to there line to grow it. These are products that I can afford not second mortgage my home.
If Sony is selling everything they make, why are there so many new Sony RX1r cameras available? Never mind A7, A7r, etc?

Leica is the only camera company currently operating at its production capacity, and it is privately held... no public shareholders... with the highest profits currently in the industry. They're not really going for market share; they're expanding and opening markets for Leica products with new products. Not the same thing at all. They're playing a smart game, where Sony is just replacing their own products, over and over again, on too short a cycle.

This is why the Sony strategy ultimately fails. Most buyers don't want to be told ten months later that their state of the art joy is now yesterday's junk. I'm sure I don't. And to appeal to repurchasers enough to get them to open their wallets, Sony has to do something wackily over the top on every cycle with no real time for proper development.

They've seemingly really sold you and many others on this damaged product strategy. Sony's profitability has been in the toilet for several years. How long do you think they can keep it up at this rate?

G

Godfrey

In honor if this occasion and the Sony undoing of photography, here is a image from the original Rx1 captured at Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta Park.

I look forward to the Rx1R mII.
Lovely photo. What about this photo will be improved by your new RX1r II?

G

Lucille

G

I don't know, but I am going to love finding out.

I think the image would be a bit cleaner on the new RX1R II, but I won't really know until I shoot with it and see the files on my big screen. I would also expect it to be sharper and I am not one to crop but with the 42mp I have some room here if needed.

One thing is for sure, with the new RX1R II I will have a easier time framing the shot due to the view finder and the flippy lcd screen.

biglouis

G
Isn't it the old adage that "it is the camera you have with you that get's the shot?".

I often pick up my Ricoh GR in preference to my A7 series because it is so small and as a result have some satisfying (to me, at least) results. Likewise, looking back through my portfolio I have some great RX1 shots because it was a no-brainer to pop it into my backpack on the way to work.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Annna T

Hi Anna - it looks like according to the manuals I am seeing, you can't engage smart zoom on the Sony if you have RAW or JPEG + RAW. Also the E-M5 doesn't do what I am asking- the E-M5 will do this when you choose different aspect ratios. What I am asking is different crop modes for different fields of view.

The Ricoh GR does this and the RAW is written so that when you open it in most raw converters it opens with ONLY the crop from the get go - and this is a workflow time saver though I am ok if it record the entire RAW as long as I can compose in "50mm, 70mm" fields of view on the live view.

- Ricardo
My bad, I had precise recollection of the E-M5 and assumed that the E-M5II would do the same. Too bad that simple trick isn't available for the Sony.

Note : there are different actors at work here; a) the camera has to take in the full raw whatever format is chosen (Panasonic for instance doesn't record the full raw on the card, but Olympus does). b) the raw converter has to keep the whole raw without cropping. This was the case of C1 which offered you the full raw, with cropping marks for the chosen format. At the beginning, for Olympus bodies, LR wasn't offering that possiblity. It has been added later as it was a general request.

I have to see how all that work for the E-M5II.

Godfrey

I don't know, but I am going to love finding out.

I think the image would be a bit cleaner on the new RX1R II, but I won't really know until I shoot with it and see the files on my big screen. I would also expect it to be sharper and I am not one to crop but with the 42mp I have some room here if needed.

One thing is for sure, with the new RX1R II I will have a easier time framing the shot due to the view finder and the flippy lcd screen.
Good luck with all of that. I hope it turns out to be everything you expect and desire. I really do. :)

G

4season

...with every round of these things I hear many of the same complaints iterated over, and over, and over again, generation after generation of latest hot camera.

I'm truly tired of it all.
When I find myself in that state of mind, I do something else for awhile. Preferably something which doesn't involve accessorizing or striving for perfection in any way, shape or form!

RX1 is a ultra-premium showcase product and not priced to sell in vast quantities. This sort of practice is very common with Japanese companies: Lexus's LF-A automobile for instance, the old Technics SL1000 turntable and so on.

My personal take on the new camera: Absolutely freaking amazing. But so are the A7 and RX100 that I already own.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If Sony is selling everything they make, why are there so many new Sony RX1r cameras available? Never mind A7, A7r, etc?

Leica is the only camera company currently operating at its production capacity, and it is privately held... no public shareholders... with the highest profits currently in the industry. They're not really going for market share; they're expanding and opening markets for Leica products with new products. Not the same thing at all. They're playing a smart game, where Sony is just replacing their own products, over and over again, on too short a cycle.

This is why the Sony strategy ultimately fails. Most buyers don't want to be told ten months later that their state of the art joy is now yesterday's junk. I'm sure I don't. And to appeal to repurchasers enough to get them to open their wallets, Sony has to do something wackily over the top on every cycle with no real time for proper development.

They've seemingly really sold you and many others on this damaged product strategy. Sony's profitability has been in the toilet for several years. How long do you think they can keep it up at this rate?

G
I could argue this till the cows come home but you even admitted higher profit margins. Your making a case for Leica that still rides on market share. It just happens to be in the luxury market. If they are not in it for profit than explain to me why most of there thrust is in China with special edition stuff. There after money my friend. One stockholder was rich enough to buy it and held it privately. The guy is a billionaire in other areas That relate to Leica cameras. He did not get rich not going after a market he can't tap. I've been to Leica in Germany and they want to sustain there business and grow. Sony and Leica are just playing in different markets.

Anyway this is freaking pointless. I'm not even going to bother. I'm not snowed by Sony as you think. I'll flip on a dime if I see greener pastures. But no one is doing anything to grow there technology. No one is building there own sensors either except Canon at least on the big scale.

Anyway have a great weekend

Godfrey

Isn't it the old adage that "it is the camera you have with you that get's the shot?".

I often pick up my Ricoh GR in preference to my A7 series because it is so small and as a result have some satisfying (to me, at least) results. Likewise, looking back through my portfolio I have some great RX1 shots because it was a no-brainer to pop it into my backpack on the way to work.

Just my two cents.
Indeed. That's why I nearly always have a camera with me too. Usually small, good lens, quick operating, etc. It can be anything from a Leica X to a Polaroid SX-70, to the M-P. I usually don't take out the DSLR or any heavyweight gear unless I have something specific in mind for it.

But moving from an RX1 to an RX1r II? What's so huge about the upgrade as to make a huge difference in the results? More pixels? More dynamic range? How much more do you need?

I can't see it.

G