The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

Annna T

A 42mp compact camera with (one assumes) a great lens, and great features. Honestly, price aside, what's not to like? As a travel / street camera, it is a compelling proposition.

i definitely want one.
What is not too like ? It has only a single fixed focal length and at that one I dislike because it remembers me of the film compacts I was using before getting my first interchangeable lenses body (a Contax G1/2). 35mm is always too short or too long. It was too long to take pictures of monuments or buildings and too short to take portraits.. I started photography with a 38mm compact and getting an ILC was a liberation I'm not ready to give up. (Sorry for intruding here, but I couldn't resist answering your question).

BTW, If I want to go light, I will pick the E-M5II and two Panasonic pancakes : 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 or the 12-40mm F2.8

V

Vivek

BTW, If I want to go light, I will pick the E-M5II and two Panasonic pancakes : 14mm F2.5 and 20mm F1.7 or the 12-40mm F2.8
After getting a taste of FF, I could not go back to the tiny format (i did try). :(

(Even the NEX is far better.)

Lucille

What is not too like ? It has only a single fixed focal length and at that one I dislike because it remembers me of the film compacts I was using before getting my first interchangeable lenses body (a Contax G1/2). 35mm is always too short or too long. It was too long to take pictures of monuments or buildings and too short to take portraits.. I started photography with a 38mm compact and getting an ILC was a liberation I'm not ready to give up. (Sorry for intruding here, but I couldn't resist answering your question).

After getting a taste of FF, I could not go back to the tiny format (i did try). :(

(Even the NEX is far better.)

the EM5 and the 14mm f/2.5 is a great combo, I love this pancake, my favorite micro 4/3rds lens.

I have no problem go back and forth with Full Frame, Micro 4/3rds, and the 1 inch sensor found in my Rx100 mIII, I just love shooting, and I'll shoot with anything, even a cell phone.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
the EM5 and the 14mm f/2.5 is a great combo, I love this pancake, my favorite micro 4/3rds lens.

I have no problem go back and forth with Full Frame, Micro 4/3rds, and the 1 inch sensor found in my Rx100 mIII, I just love shooting, and I'll shoot with anything, even a cell phone.
That warms my heart that enthusiasm. Hopefully it will rub off

V

Vivek

I love shooting as well, also with whatever I carry (which does not include a m43 nowadays and it never has been a cell phone). :)

Viramati

I can only state that for myself I like using fixed lens digital cameras, e.g. Ricoh GR and Sigma DPxMs.

I did own a RX1 and regretted selling it soon after I had because there was no 35mm lens for the Sony A7 series that I liked. I've been considering a s/h RX1 for many months but hesitated because of the rumours of something improved on the horizon.

I finally cracked and put in an order for a Leica Q coming to the conclusion that Sony were abandoning the RX1 format. Now they have shown they haven't and I can order one as soon as the it opens here in the UK.

That is why I am excited. And having waited I will get an EVF, articulating screen and bigger opportunity to crop (and possibly better high iso).

LouisB
Go on Louis go for the Q I think you will be surprised by how good it is. The only thing I would like form the Sony is an articulating screen but apart from that of me at least the Q is my ideal camera

raist3d

I still find the Sony RX1R MKII lighter of these two solutions. 12-40 F2.8 is as big if not bigger than the depth of the RX1R MKII for starters. And the Sony with the 42mp can allow cropping to cover other focal ranges.

But certainly, if you don't like a prime and don't like 35mm, then the RX1's aren't for you. For me I am only thinking about it because of the cropping due to extra resolution. I prefer a 50mm focal. The first R1's you could so some of that but not to the extent of this one.

The 2nd reason is I like shooting at night a lot and this bigger sensor would do better than the Oly's here. But still undecided. I will have to see how big the R1 really is when I see it. I saw the first once but it was some time ago.

- Ricardo

Quentin_Bargate

I think that the variable low pass filter is the most impressive new feature of the Rx1r2 and that this will end up rolled out across all future Sony cameras eventually.

It will probably be of most use when shooting on a tripod, when you can shoot with the low pass filter fully on, on medium and off, then layer the images to get the best of both worlds. Or, with 42mp at hand, simply use the filter when shooting fine fabrics, etc and still end up with more real detail than a lower resolution camera with no equivalent technology.

algrove

I still find the Sony RX1R MKII lighter of these two solutions. 12-40 F2.8 is as big if not bigger than the depth of the RX1R MKII for starters. And the Sony with the 42mp can allow cropping to cover other focal ranges.

But certainly, if you don't like a prime and don't like 35mm, then the RX1's aren't for you. For me I am only thinking about it because of the cropping due to extra resolution. I prefer a 50mm focal. The first R1's you could so some of that but not to the extent of this one.

The 2nd reason is I like shooting at night a lot and this bigger sensor would do better than the Oly's here. But still undecided. I will have to see how big the R1 really is when I see it. I saw the first once but it was some time ago.

- Ricardo
I have a very narrow camera knowledge base, but are we not comparing a FF 42MP fixed lens camera to a cropped sensor ILC?

To me that is no comparison if I am correct. Even Sony experts say the fixed lens RXR camera line is superior to the A7 ILC from Sony.

Guy Mancuso

Just was looking at the specks and it does have the flash setting for wireless which looks like will work with the Nissin Flash and its commander. Whats the highest sync speed. I know its a leaf shutter but how high

Guy Mancuso

That just about put me over the edge right there. Luckily the next few months are my(me, I can actually put gear money aside from prying eyes) money months. I will sell my 35 1.4 and get this. I know I said it does not make the best business sense and looking back at the beginning of this thread 4 or 5 folks said no than ordered it. I maybe joining them. Here is the thing outside the extra 2000 dollars buying and selling the 35. 1.4

Here are the Pros.

Maybe the best 35mm lens i can get my hands on
Exactly the same sensor as my A7rII so my files will be identical
Same AF module built in
Same uncompressed file
I can use my current Nissin and my studio strobes
Backup to my system
Serve as my 35mm lens
Serve as my get my *** out the door and go shoot. I actually need this one for my head. You get lazy after 40 years
My vacation camera which when I bring my system I wind up never even using it. No excuse camera
My grandson. Enough said
One in the oven. Grandkid, sex unknown. LOL
I never buy a camera for me personally , I have no real Guy toy its all business gear. Hard to explain
One thing my system DOES NOT HAVE. A leaf shutter, thats freaking huge for me.
Maybe even smaller than my single 35 1.4 lens

Cons there is really only one that smacks me immediately cost. My ultimate answer to that. So how many lives do you have i get one not sure about anyone else. ROTFLMAO

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Guy, come on in, the waters fine here :D

Here are the Pros.

Exactly the same sensor as my A7rII so my files will be identical
Same AF module built in
Same uncompressed file
I can use my current Nissin and my studio strobes
Backup to my system
Serve as my 35mm lens
Serve as my get my *** out the door and go shoot. I actually need this one for my head. You get lazy after 40 years
My vacation camera which when I bring my system I wind up never even using it. No excuse camera
My grandson. Enough said
One in the oven. Grandkid, sex unknown. LOL
I never buy a camera for me personally , I have no real Guy toy its all business gear. Hard to explain
One thing my system DOES NOT HAVE. A leaf shutter, thats freaking huge for me.
Maybe even smaller than my single 35 1.4 lens

Cons there is really only one that smacks me immediately cost. My ultimate answer to that. So how many lives do you have i get one not sure about anyone else. ROTFLMAO
yup to all of those especially the "never buy a camera for me personally" ...

peterb

A lot of the discussion of the RX1r seems to be about the price. Well think of it this way. Suppose you lived in some northern latitude and wanted to buy a motorcycle. Odds are you'll most like take the bike out on one or possibly both days on the weekend during a season that runs, say, from May until October.

The cost of that bike could set you back at LEAST $5-7K and it will be a basic bike at best. Any motorcycle in the same league as the RX1r is to other cameras would run you around $13K

Yet for $3300 you'll have a top if the line tool you can use 365 days a year. No gas. No annual maintenance and oil change. No kidding. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ok, let's talk cars, boats or country/golf club memberships - the Sony RX1R II will still be cheaper per shot vs any of those. :cool:

biglouis

Here are the Pros.

Although I like the RX1RII for what it is, it is a sad indictment on the Sony lens line that this is probably the best 2/35 you can get your hands on.

Sure the 1.4/35 is stellar but it is also very large compared to the body. Likewise, you can get the Loxia which is excellent but it is MF which I suspect is inconvenient for working pros in certain situations.

Do Sony really think a decent 2/35 is going to eat their RX1RII sales?

Either Sony or Zeiss need to break ranks and give us a proper Batis or Sony G 2/35.

LouisB

Last edited:

algrove

Although I like the RX1RII for what it is, it is a sad indictment on the Sony lens line that this is probably the best 2/35 you can get your hands on.

Sure the 1.4/35 is stellar but it is also very large compared to the body. Likewise, you can get the Loxia which is excellent but it is AF which I suspect is inconvenient for working pros in certain situations.

Either Sony or Zeiss need to break ranks and give us a proper Batis or Sony G 2/35.

LouisB
Louis I know you mean the Loxia is MF, but I am highlighting that for those who might not know.

k-hawinkler

Sure the 1.4/35 is stellar but it is also very large compared to the body. Likewise, you can get the Loxia which is excellent but it is AF which I suspect is inconvenient for working pros in certain situations.

LouisB

Maybe "indictment" is a bit harsh, but I agree with your basic sentiment.

Here

LensRentals.com - Sony E Mount Lens Optical Bench Tests

is an interesting IMHO blog post by Roger Cicala that puts focus on lens copy variation of Canon, Nikon, and Sony. So, for the time being, maybe the RX1RII is the best choice anyway.

Last edited:

ohnri

May be tricky to mount a RX1r2 on both my A7r2 and A7s2.

So that is a downside for me.

And my 35/1.4 is sweet as summer melon.

But, what a camera the RX1r2 is !

I want one just to want one.

-Bill