The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rx1r2

V

Vivek

I know. Now they've an option in Leica's offering. :) It is grippy.

Hope, Sony will stick to compactness for a while. The RX1 R II ticks pretty much all the boxes for me.

Just dreaming about a compact ILC (even an APS-C sensor would for me).

Zony user

I know. Now they've an option in Leica's offering. :) It is grippy.

Hope, Sony will stick to compactness for a while. The RX1 R II ticks pretty much all the boxes for me.

Just dreaming about a compact ILC (even an APS-C sensor would for me).
They will. Sony prides itself in making things small. They always have. That's been their mojo for decades.

Irenaeus

Too much choice is the enemy of art.
- Ricardo

I have numerous cameras and hundreds of lenses to choose from. Choice is good.
- Vivek

Slightly OT. I was on a long vacation this summer, traveling light, but often in familiar territory. Here's a small poem that sprang from all that.

Sometimes it's good to have fewer choices:

Walk or read,

Friends now or later,

Time with God...

Best,

Irenaeus

Frits

...Slightly OT. I was on a long vacation this summer, traveling light, but often in familiar territory. Here's a small poem that sprang from all that...
Building on the above, FWIW: We are booked for a special vacation to Bali for next March. After some contemplation, I have decided to just bring the RX1r and leave the DSLR gear at home (D4 with some very good glass).
I would never have done that with any of my previous compact cameras (mostly M 4/3), the IQ of the Sony really is that good.
Of course I will be limited to the 35mm focal length, but I can work around that for probably 90% of the time or more.

Zony user

Building on the above, FWIW: We are booked for a special vacation to Bali for next March. After some contemplation, I have decided to just bring the RX1r and leave the DSLR gear at home (D4 with some very good glass).
I would never have done that with any of my previous compact cameras (mostly M 4/3), the IQ of the Sony really is that good.
Of course I will be limited to the 35mm focal length, but I can work around that for probably 90% of the time or more.
In early 2013, I sold all my Canon gear and I used the RX1R exclusively for 1.5 years. Then GAS kicked in and all hell broke loose :D

V

Vivek

I'm very pleased with the a6000 coupled with the Sony 20mm pancake ...
I have all of Sony' s NEX'. The 6000 is similar to the 6. Tried it a while ago and passed.

I am looking for a BSI sensored NEX, preferrably with a proper metal chassis and metal mount - if that is not too much to ask for. In the meantime, I am OK with my NEX-5Ns. :)

Zony user

I started a thread on DPR regarding my "chuck it all and switch to RX1rII" decision:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3917613

Some very interesting and helpful responses here. Apparently, I'm not the only one who has made or is considering this monumental change.
I did something similar 2.5 years ago (sold all Canon gear for RX1) and I just wanted to point out a couple of things.

1. You will probably miss the FE 16-35mm more than your other lenses. You can crop and go longer but you can't go wider. The RX100 III or IV makes a good companion to cover the wide-end and video work. It also doubles as a battery charger :D
2. You will get 10.5mp for a 70mm crop, not 21mp.

dandrewk

I did something similar 2.5 years ago (sold all Canon gear for RX1) and I just wanted to point out a couple of things.

1. You will probably miss the FE 16-35mm more than your other lenses. You can crop and go longer but you can't go wider. The RX100 III or IV makes a good companion to cover the wide-end and video work. It also doubles as a battery charger :D
2. You will get 10.5mp for a 70mm crop, not 21mp.
I will no doubt miss the wider FOV, but I am good with PTGUI PRO, so there's the pano option when/if needed.

I suspect, though, I would learn to see everything in 35mm FOV. That's one of the draws for me. Sometimes, going wide isn't the best choice.

Or, as Ricardo said, "Too much choice is the enemy of art".

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ignoring the fact that this is only 24mp from the RX1R, this is why you want the 35/2 (this is raw into C1 Pro and exported unsharpened to tiff then into PS for the frame and LAB color only):

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It isn't a true 1:1 macro so you will not get the same results as a true macro, but what it does allow is a very close focus, which can then in turn cause a back ground to turn into butter.

This was shot in macro at f/3.5, the background just melts away, I could have gotten closer but I only wanted to get so close to her, as she wasn't very happy.

Btw, regardless of camera this is superb! :thumbs:

ohnri

Consider something waterproof as well.

You know, in case you accidentally fall into the warm as bath water, liquid azure that passes for ocean there and want a quick snap of a Manta Ray or something.

-Bill

raist3d

I will no doubt miss the wider FOV, but I am good with PTGUI PRO, so there's the pano option when/if needed.

I suspect, though, I would learn to see everything in 35mm FOV. That's one of the draws for me. Sometimes, going wide isn't the best choice.

Or, as Ricardo said, "Too much choice is the enemy of art".
One quick addendum to what I said on this end- make sure you think you will really like 35mm or you know you do. I bought a Ricoh GR and I find it's the best street life camera I have ever seen, but I am not a wide angle photographer (28mm equiv.).

It's one of the things that give me pause on the Sony also, but the Sony has enough MP's to crop to 50mm. I would say if you have a chance and have a zoom, set it to 35mm equivalent and see how it feels. If you feel total aversion, I would personally think twice before jumping to the Sony unless you expect to crop often to a focal length you like (and be at a resolution you are ok with).

Now, if you think you are one of the people that being forced to use 35mm will really learn to see that way and you think you are interested in this focal, then this could be boot camp and the high price should really make you think twice before spending more cash on anything else :)

- Ricardo

Last edited:

Lucille

Btw, regardless of camera this is superb! :thumbs:

Thank you for the nice compliment. The thing about it, the Rx1 makes these kind of captures easy, and they happen on a regular basis.

When the Rx1 was 1st released in really came out of left field, we didn't see it coming. And I took a chance on a fixed lens camera for $2700.

I remember when I 1st starting seeing the output, I was literally astonished, as for me, it had JAW DROPPING IQ and fit in the palm of my hand. This camera changed my photography and
I believe I am a better shooter now with all my camera bodies, due to the improvements I made with the Rx1 which inspired me to always carry it and always shoot something.

I've done what the 'internet' said I couldn't do. I've shot 5 Weddings with the RX1 as my MAIN body. I have been hired to cover some local football games using the RX1. I use it in
tough lowlight situations in spite of the 'internet' telling me it doesn't focus in lowlight or is slow. Many of the local Musicians use my RX1 images for their various needs, cd's, promotional posters.

Now I am not saying its the best for these situations, but I am saying it isn't the 'one trick pony' that the 'internet' seems to think. This camera is powerful and can be versatile, be here is
the caveat, you must learn how to use this in full manual.

In my opinion, if you shoot in auto mode, the camera controls you, if you shoot in full manual, you control the camera, and that my friends is where the magic happens.

the HepKitty

dandrewk

One quick addendum to what I said on this end- make sure you think you will really like 35mm or you know you do. I bought a Ricoh GR and I find it's the best street life camera I have ever seen, but I am not a wide angle photographer (28mm equiv.).

It's one of the things that give me pause on the Sony also, but the Sony has enough MP's to crop to 50mm. I would say if you have a chance and have a zoom, set it to 35mm equivalent and see how it feels. If you feel total aversion, I would personally think twice before jumping to the Sony unless you expect to crop often to a focal length you like (and be at a resolution you are ok with).

Now, if you think you are one of the people that being forced to use 35mm will really learn to see that way and you think you are interested in this focal, then this could be boot camp and the high price should really make you think twice before sending more cash on anything else :)

- Ricardo
I plan on sticking with a 35 on my A7rII for the foreseeable future.

No need for zoom, as I have the FE35/2.8. However, if I use that lens, I'm afraid HepKitty may kill me. :D

Lucille

I plan on sticking with a 35 on my A7rII for the foreseeable future.

No need for zoom, as I have the FE35/2.8. However, if I use that lens, I'm afraid HepKitty may kill me. :D

Honey, make magic with that lens....

Lord knows I've tried.

dandrewk

Those of you with an Rx1:

1. Lens shade. It's frustrating Sony doesn't include this in a $3k+ camera, and their after market version is wayyyy overpriced ($180!??). How many of you are using the shade (either Sony's a far cheaper 3rd party)? Do you find it necessary for flare reduction? Is the front element recessed enough to provide some shading and protection? That's what I use shades for mostly - protection.

2. Manual focus - is it friction or by wire?